Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 3rd August 2006, 21:31   #121  |  Link
setarip_old

If possible, try playing them on a different standalone DVD player.

You might also try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your SONY standalone. Maxell makes one that sells for approximately $10US...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 00:00   #122  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
I am currently using Memorex DVD+R-DL media
There's your problem - I'm sorry, I know you asked not to say this, but you really should use Verbatims to give yourself a better chance. I'm sure you'll have a happier story when these arrive.

Your PgcEdit/ImgBurn settings are fine.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 00:17   #123  |  Link
setarip_old

The poster is already aware of this:
Quote:
I have already ordered some Verbatim DL media, but it is not yet in-hand to try.
and:
Quote:
Any other suggestions (besides getting some Verbatim media...
Old 4th August 2006, 01:26   #124  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach
I know you asked not to say this
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach
I'm sure you'll have a happier story when these arrive.
I know. But it is most likely the source of his problems.

Regards

Old 4th August 2006, 03:29   #125  |  Link
hsvham

thanks blutach (and others) - that's what I suspected might be happening re: the Memorex media.

I just thought that (maybe!) it would work. So now I'll just burn thru the remaining discs (I only bought a 15X spindle of them for the first attempts) while I am waiting for the Verbatims to arrive, and maybe I'll actually get a good one!

hsvham
hsvham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 03:37   #126  |  Link
Mr.Bitey

If your just ripping, then burning - why not rip to ISO (making a MDS) file and burn straight away (by selecting the MDS file) with ImgBurn ?

Anyway - The problem you desribe is your standalone having problems reading the media. Your computer dvd-rom/dvdr is MUCH better at reading discs than a standalone (and can go back and re-read any trouble-bits without you noticing).

Use Verbatim media - as youve discovered, its not worth saving a few cents only to have a whole disc ruined (or 4).

Cheers,
Bitey
Old 4th August 2006, 07:28   #127  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvham
My computer-based DVD player seems to play thru all these "trouble areas" just fine, while my older Sony NS325P player has the problems with the backups.
Seems it's a compatibility problem with your media and the Sony player.
The Sony players are well known to have a very bad error correction, and they are therefore very sensible to poor burns on crappy media. The laser might be tired, too. My old Sony DVP-S725D cannot read +/-R/RW media any more, though it has no problem with the commercial pressed DVDs.

I don't like Memorex. Try Verbatim (or some Philips.)
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 07:34   #128  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bitey
If your just ripping, then burning - why not rip to ISO (making a MDS) file and burn straight away (by selecting the MDS file) with ImgBurn ?
Burning the ISO is the problem, not producing it. Anyway, I suppose hsvham wants to modify the DVD before burning it.
Old 4th August 2006, 15:46   #129  |  Link
hsvham

Most of the time, I would like to go straight to ISO, can I use DVD Decrypter to do this in one simple process, then kick off ImgBurn to burn the backup from the ISO file?

hsvham
hsvham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 16:41   #130  |  Link
setarip_old

Yes (As long as the original DVD doesn't contain "ARccOS" copy protection - which will require preliminary work to rip properly)...
Old 5th August 2006, 01:32   #131  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

And if it does, RipIt4Me can rip ARccOS DVDs in ISO mode. Very simple.

Regards

Old 9th October 2006, 01:41   #132  |  Link
bondfan

Opening DVD project (PgcEdit)

Hi, I've just begun to learn about burning dual layer discs. I have had more probelms with DVD Shrink than DVD Decrypter, so I thought maybe I should avoid the shrink issue.
I downloaded PgcEdit and am a little confused with it. When it says to "open the project by browsing to the folder containing your DVD files", does this mean the original DVD you want to back up? I know it may be clear to most, but I'm not sure if it means this, or if you should run DVD Decrypter first?
Thanks for the help. I've used the Doom forum countless times for hassles with Shrink, Decrypter, AnyDvd, etc. You folks are great.
bondfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 05:14   #133  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

It means open the ripped folder on your hard drive.

Regards

Old 14th October 2006, 02:32   #134  |  Link
bondfan

Still having trouble

I must be stupid. I ripped the movie with DVD Decrypter. Then I opened PgcEdit and click on the folder on my hard drive. It has two files, one is movietitle.iso and the other is movietitle.mds. I click OK and nothing happens. It won't open the folder. Am I dumb?
Old 14th October 2006, 05:16   #135  |  Link
setarip_old

Doubleclick on either of the two filenames...
Old 14th October 2006, 11:31   #136  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit cannot work on an ISO file. The ISO is an image of your original DVD, and is read-only. You can burn an ISO, but not edit it.

If you want to edit your DVD files before burning them, you have to rip the DVD in file mode. In this mode, each DVD-Video file (*.IFO, *.BUP, *.VOB) is copied in the target folder. Open that target folder with PgcEdit.
Old 15th October 2006, 02:09   #137  |  Link
bondfan

wow

you folks are good! i've been reading and reading, but didn't see that (although i'm sure it's there somewhere).
thanks as always for your help.
one last question (at least i hope it's last): i have a ripped iso file of a movie. is there anything i can do if it won't burn with dvd shrink?
Old 15th October 2006, 08:51   #138  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Mount the image, and copy the files somewhere to your HD. Load them in PgcEdit, and save the IFOs back. Process the whole DVD with FixVTS. Try to load the modified DVD in Shrink. It should work. Burn always with ImgBurn.
To mount the image, I recommend Daemon Tools (freeware).
Old 16th October 2006, 15:07   #139  |  Link
Rafterman

Having just purchased my first DVD DL Rewriter(BenQ DW1655) and am going to try and backup one of my DVD's to a DL disk(Emtec DVD+R - RicohJPN D00-001). Now these disks are not cheap so I cannot afford to produce to many coasters. Anyway I checked this forum for some guidelines and got a nice guide using PgcEdit with Imgburn, mkisofs.exe and Decrypter. Now having looked at this method I have a few questions.

1. When you are selecting a layer break do you only need to select 1 layer break per dvd even if the dvd contains many of the examples as shown in the guide represented by the different colors, ie: select the green example if it exists and thats it.

2. In the guide it also mentions an app called Imgtools. What I would like to know is, do I need to use Imgtools and what is the difference between Imgburn and Imgtools. As I read it, it would appear Imgtools can be used to burn a DVD folder(Video_ts) whereas imgburn is used to burn ISO's???

3. rOIZ mentioned earlier in this thread it is possible to do a 1:1 copy from a DVD to a DL Disc using decrypter(ISO mode) so why does one need to do the stept as outlined in the PcgEdit guide concerning the layer break ect. Would a 1:1 copy using Decrypter with anydvd running in the background not work as well.
Rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 15:21   #140  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

1. Yes, you cannot select several cells at the same time anyway.

2. ImgTool Classic can burn DVD-Video files on a single layer DVD only. It creates coasters if you use it to burn a DL. Forget it.
ImgBurn v1 was able to burn only ISO images.
ImgBurv v2 can burn DVD-Video files as well, including on a double-layer DVD+R (and even on a -R, but that's not recommended.) It has an interface similar to the PgcEdit GUI to select the layer break cell. You cannot preview the cell, though.
The PgcEdit method was needed to burn DVD-Video files on a DL-DVD with ImgBurn v1 (or DVD Decrypter). You can still use this method, including with ImgBurn v2, but you can also burn directly the files with ImgBurn V2.

3. You can burn directly an ISO image created by DVDD with ImgBurn (either v1 or v2). But you have to rip your original DVD in ISO mode. An ISO is read-only, so, you cannot edit the DVD. If you want to modify something before burning the DVD, you have to rip it in file mode, edit it, and burn the DVD-Video files with either ImgBurn v2 or PgcEdit.