Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 19th July 2011, 23:25   #1  |  Link
lutinor

Sonic Scenarist resume command ?

Hi all,

When i use the 'call' command on a button (to reach another menu), i get this :

The Call command was added. It is necessary to add the Resume command.

Nonetheless it doesn't seem to be a prob when all is compiled and tested on any player.

Can someone explain me this ?

Thx in adv,

Max.
lutinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:00   #2  |  Link
lutinor

Mmmm so ? ^^
Old 24th July 2011, 02:40   #3  |  Link
rik1138

You shouldn't use the Call command to jump to another menu from an existing menu (just use JumpTitle)... The purpose of a call command is to remember the current location in the video you are playing so you can jump back to it later.

Lets say you are watching the feature, about half-way in. You activate the pop-up menu, and choose to watch the Trailer for the film. The button command would store a value somewhere (so you know you are playing the feature), and then CallTitle to the Trailer title. At the end of the Trailer, the 'post commands' would then either return to the main menu, or if the 'I'm currently playing the feature' value is set true, you execute the Resume command. The feature will now continue exactly where you left off.

You don't have to ever actually execute the Resume command but the CallTitle command is meant to be paired with it. If you never intend to resume, you should just use the JumpTitle command.

You also have to make sure your titles are set up correctly. Resume Intention Flag for your feature should be set to Suspended, and set to Discarded for all bonus content and menus (actually, all other titles except the feature, just to be safe). Otherwise the player starts remembering the location in the bonus content as the resume state. A player can only remember the resume location for one piece of video, and only one 'layer' deep. If you have a pop-up menu on the trailer that lets them pick another piece of video, then the resume information for the feature will be lost. Usually, for a bonus feature, if there's a pop-up menu at all, it simply has an 'exit' button (or maybe a Main Menu and Exit button), this way the feature can always be resumed. The exit button can execute the Resume command if necessary.
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 10:26   #4  |  Link
lutinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik1138 View Post
You shouldn't use the Call command to jump to another menu from an existing menu (just use JumpTitle)... The purpose of a call command is to remember the current location in the video you are playing so you can jump back to it later.

Lets say you are watching the feature, about half-way in. You activate the pop-up menu, and choose to watch the Trailer for the film. The button command would store a value somewhere (so you know you are playing the feature), and then CallTitle to the Trailer title. At the end of the Trailer, the 'post commands' would then either return to the main menu, or if the 'I'm currently playing the feature' value is set true, you execute the Resume command. The feature will now continue exactly where you left off.

You don't have to ever actually execute the Resume command but the CallTitle command is meant to be paired with it. If you never intend to resume, you should just use the JumpTitle command.

You also have to make sure your titles are set up correctly. Resume Intention Flag for your feature should be set to Suspended, and set to Discarded for all bonus content and menus (actually, all other titles except the feature, just to be safe). Otherwise the player starts remembering the location in the bonus content as the resume state. A player can only remember the resume location for one piece of video, and only one 'layer' deep. If you have a pop-up menu on the trailer that lets them pick another piece of video, then the resume information for the feature will be lost. Usually, for a bonus feature, if there's a pop-up menu at all, it simply has an 'exit' button (or maybe a Main Menu and Exit button), this way the feature can always be resumed. The exit button can execute the Resume command if necessary.
Thanks you very much for your help, a last question :

I have 2 home made blueray compilation disc where i use the 'call command' instead of the right 'jump title'. Is it necessary to re-author the discs or is it 'reliable' to not change my mistake command ?
Old 25th July 2011, 04:28   #5  |  Link
rik1138

As far as I know it won't hurt anything... All the Call command is tell the player to remember where you are in the current video and go play something else. If you never intend to resume the current video, I don't see why the player would care...
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 13:51   #6  |  Link
lutinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik1138 View Post
As far as I know it won't hurt anything... All the Call command is tell the player to remember where you are in the current video and go play something else. If you never intend to resume the current video, I don't see why the player would care...