Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 7th July 2005, 07:26   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Guide: How to burn Double Layer Disks with PgcEdit

This is the discussion thread about the new guide How to burn Double Layer Disks with PgcEdit for PgcEdit 0.6.0 or more, courtesy of Blutach. (Current guide updated for PgcEdit 7.0 or more.)

(See also How to burn ISO images with PgcEdit ensuring 32k gaps between IFOs and BUPs, also by blutach, and its discussion thread.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 24th June 2006 at 10:34. Reason: updated link
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2005, 15:32   #2  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

This is a nice guide; awesome...but how long will it be good for?

that is, as new drives come out will you still be able to use DVD Decryptor to use them? Not sure how it burns...did each new version have a "recoder update" built in?
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2005, 16:20   #3  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't think so. Most modern drvies are driven by standard commands. So, most of the new drives should be supported in the future.
And, maybe, LUK! will make a new burning app later? I hope so!
Old 7th July 2005, 17:34   #4  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

thanks...only reason I ask is that different drives will have different strategies for writing DL...companies like Gear and Wavelab update their "drive configurations", etc so I though DVD Decryptor may not be able to burn new drives...maybe if LUK were around he could comment....never know
Old 7th July 2005, 19:32   #5  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

took another look at the guide:

Quote:
If you wish to burn again with DVD Decrypter but not use PgcEdit, remember to set the layer break back to automatic. Do this in DVD Decrypter via Tools – Settings – ISO Write Mode – Layer Break (for DL Media ) – Calculate Optimal
I had always thought DVD D needed a .MDS file to properly write a dual layer....

Also if the .ISO file has the layer break in it, does the above quote from the guide mean that you MUST tell DVD D where the layer break is as well? By telling to calculate optimal this may be different from the ISO is it not? Or is the ISO made from previous steps erased and you can just remember where the layer break was and enter it into DVD D.

Just wanted to clairify.
Old 8th July 2005, 07:28   #6  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer
I had always thought DVD D needed a .MDS file to properly write a dual layer....
I don't think so. The MDS file is just another method to specify the LB position. If you leave the automatic mode in the setups and don't provide a MDS file, I think DVDD will try to find the appropriate cell itself. But take in mind that the automatic method will probably not work (for example, if there are no cell suitable for the LB and beginning at the start of an ECC block.)

Quote:
Also if the .ISO file has the layer break in it, does the above quote from the guide mean that you MUST tell DVD D where the layer break is as well? By telling to calculate optimal this may be different from the ISO is it not?
I really don't know. As the LB cell you selected with PgcEdit is flagged as non-seamless and begins at an ECC block, DVDD should select that cell anyway. But if another cell is suitable as well, it may do a wrong assumption.

Quote:
Or is the ISO made from previous steps erased and you can just remember where the layer break was and enter it into DVD D.
If the ISO is erased, you cannot burn it again, of course!
If you want to burn the same ISO again, either leave the original LB sector in the DVDD setups, or, if you have burned another DVD in the meantime, you have to specify the LB manually.
Note that the LB sector is in the ISO creation log generated by PgcEdit, and in the burn log generated by DVDD. And you can also examine the burned DVD with DVDD is ISO mode to see where the LB was placed.

The warning message in the guide is there to hilite the fact that the setups are changed automatically by PgcEdit, but are not restored to the default after the burn. So, if you want to burn an ISO generated by a totally different method (for example, a 1:1 rip by DVDD, with a MDS file), you may have to reset the setup manually.

Last edited by r0lZ; 8th July 2005 at 07:45. Reason: typo
Old 23rd July 2005, 00:32   #7  |  Link
Zugwrack

Just a slight clarification about dual layer

I read all the thread and stuff from blutach regarding maintaining 32 k etc...I didn't see any mention on if it is just possible to dump a dvd (assuming size doesn't exceed capacity of dual layer disc) and then burn it straight back?

Thanks for the fine information too!

Zugwrack
Zugwrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 10:24   #8  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You can do a 1:1 copy with DVD Decrypter: rip in ISO mode, and burn the ISO.
Old 23rd July 2005, 10:30   #9  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Or use ImgTool Classic.
Old 25th July 2005, 11:27   #10  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COOL
... which is the "engine" of the PgcEdit imagemaker.

Personally, I prefer the PgcEdit GUI and the optional LB positioning.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 07:46   #11  |  Link
tlavalle

one quick question why is it i get Error loading NAV pack from whatever loaction
tlavalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 00:20   #12  |  Link
bac

Once you've created the dvd iso with pgcedit, do you really need to use dvddecrypter to avoid messing up the layer break? I'm wondering if writing with nero in iso mode would work as well. Does nero change the iso's layer break, use it, or simply ignore it (picking its own different point for the physical layer break)? Just trying to get a handle if nero is *still* hopelessly broken with respect to dual layer after all this time, or whether it can be made to do the right thing in conjunction with pgcedit.
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 10:25   #13  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Honestly, I don't know. I don't use Nero anymore.
The latest tests I did with Nero 6.6.0.8 were not conclusive at all. The 32K gaps were lost, and burning a DL DVD with Nero can be a real hassle.
If you really wants to use another application, use RecordNow (either Stomp or Sonic version.) It should respect the 32K gaps, and be able to burn DL DVDs. But it's not free.

Also, note that Lightning UK! will release a new burning application (without the DVDD 'illegal' stuff) called ImgBurn. PgcEdit already supports it in v0.6.1 final. ImgBurn should be released soon, and I will release the new version of PgcEdit immediately after.
Old 2nd October 2005, 11:37   #14  |  Link
Taelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
Also, note that Lightning UK! will release a new burning application (without the DVDD 'illegal' stuff) called ImgBurn. PgcEdit already supports it in v0.6.1 final. ImgBurn should be released soon, and I will release the new version of PgcEdit immediately after.
Thanks for letting the 'cat out of the bag' r0lZ I'm looking forward to both releases now.
Taelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 11:51   #15  |  Link
nwg

Nero is really only worth using if you don't change anything and do a exact 1:1 copy. If you change something. The layer change position will be very likely in a different position which Nero deicdes when burning.

However, DVD Decrypter is still the best way to burn a DL disc. I have had a DVD Recorder where a Nero burned DL+R didn't work and couldn't be read. The same files burned with DVD Decrypter worked fine.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 19:41   #16  |  Link
bac

Thanks. Recordnow looks interesting since according to the vcdhelp.com folks, you don't need to convert your video_ts folder to an .iso before burning a dual layer with a good layer break. (Ie you save a step). PS: Bestbuy has verbatim dvd+r dl on sale for $20/10 pack (web price only but you can pick up), so it looks like dl is now cost effective.

Last edited by bac; 2nd October 2005 at 20:56.
Old 2nd October 2005, 19:46   #17  |  Link
nwg

I have also heard that Recordnow is good for DL. I wished I could get Verbatim for that kind of money. They would cost me £40/$70 for 10. As, I don't pay that I settle for Datafe Riteks which has worked out well with my Pioneer 109. I pay £2 each for those.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 20:05   #18  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac
Thanks. Recordnow looks interesting since according to the vcdhelp.com folks, you don't need to convert your video_ts folder to an .iso before burning a dual layer with a good layer break. (Ie you save a step).
Right, but you will have to use PgcEdit's burn DL function to patch the IFOs. If you don't do that, recordnow will probably not be able to select the right cell. Therefore, you should use PgcEdit to select the LB. The IFO and BUP files are modified when you hit OK. You may then cancel the main burn dialog, and burn the DVD with recordnow. Should work, but I have not tested this procedure.
Old 2nd October 2005, 21:02   #19  |  Link
bac

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
Right, but you will have to use PgcEdit's burn DL function to patch the IFOs. If you don't do that, recordnow will probably not be able to select the right cell. Therefore, you should use PgcEdit to select the LB.
If I use .ifo's from dvd-9's that I have previously ripped in file mode (as opposed to .ifo's I authored) then I assume I don't need to do any patching. I know, should have ripped in .iso mode
Old 2nd October 2005, 21:53   #20  |  Link
Pudah

Quote:
This is great news. I'm glad to hear that LightningUK! is still putting his programming talent to good use.

Quote:
Recordnow looks interesting since according to the vcdhelp.com folks, you don't need to convert your video_ts folder to an .iso before burning a dual layer with a good layer break. (Ie you save a step). PS: Bestbuy has verbatim dvd+r dl on sale for $20/10 pack (web price only but you can pick up), so it looks like dl is now cost effective.
It would be very cool if ImgBurn could also burn discs directly from VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folders in addition to burning images. Maybe LightningUK! can add this as a feature in the future (though would that mean he couldn't call the program ImgBurn?).

I just placed an order for those DL discs from BB so hope to soon have my first try at DL burning.
Pudah is offline   Reply With Quote