Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th May 2009, 09:32   #1001  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ73 View Post
Hi, there. It is always good to have alternative renderers. The new renderer is able to outperform any other renderer I worked with in the past in respect to image quality.

It would realy be great if the supported colorspaces could be extended to at least YUY2 and NV12 (although I know that planar colorspaces are easier to handle).
Also the support of the IBasicVideo::GetCurrentImage interface to create a snapshot would be desirable.
If you look at the first page, I believe madshi already explain why he intentionally made madVR support only one colorspace. Also, he already said that screenshot is middle priority feature. Use search for more info.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:17   #1002  |  Link
VHT

Hi! I'm using currently EVR CP and BT709 in shaders.With your madvr I get better PQ but how can I get BT709 color mode on in your video renderer? with LUT? If so, then how?
VHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 15:22   #1003  |  Link
honai

madVR choses the correct coefficients (601 or 709) automatically. depending on the width/height of the source.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:48   #1004  |  Link
racerxnet

Quote:
madVR choses the correct coefficients (601 or 709) automatically. depending on the width/height of the source.
What happens when you scale SD content to HD? I would assume you are now using the wrong color space and need to calibrate accordingly.. Hence the suggestion to allow the user to select the correct LUT within the GUI.

MAK
racerxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 16:30   #1005  |  Link
noee

Why would you scale your SD material before sending it to madVR? That's really one of the main reasons to use madVR, unless I'm missing something completely?
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 16:42   #1006  |  Link
racerxnet

Quote:
Why would you scale your SD material before sending it to madVR? That's really one of the main reasons to use madVR, unless I'm missing something completely?
Unless I have an external scaler, I need to scale to the native panel resolution of the LCD for 1:1 pixel mapping. That is the whole point of using the PC; as a scaler for the output. Some of the HD LED tv's have a 1366 x 768 native resolution such as mine, and I need to scale to this for clear readable text. There are other reasons as well, but in my case this is the need/reason.

Thanks,

MAK
Old 14th May 2009, 16:51   #1007  |  Link
Grmpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxnet View Post
Unless I have an external scaler, I need to scale to the native panel resolution of the LCD for 1:1 pixel mapping. That is the whole point of using the PC; as a scaler for the output. Some of the HD LED tv's have a 1366 x 768 native resolution such as mine, and I need to scale to this for clear readable text.
You did read the first page - did you ? One of the key elements madVR is doing is scaling and madVR does this far better than any (or most) other solutions on your pc. So if you are scaling before you feed your video into madVR you are doing something wrong (imho), the best case is it to leave your video they way it is and let madVR handle the proper change from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4, the scaling and the colormatrix (601 or 709).
Grmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:08   #1008  |  Link
Steveo08

i have a question to madVR at present i am using mpc-hc with dxva and for a better picture the pixel-shader "sharpen complex 2".

now i would like to know how do i get the same (and perhaps better???) results with madVR?

i am using vista 32 with a geforce 8600 gt hdmi.

so and an other question is, does anyone get coreavc 1.95 working with cuda and madVR?
Steveo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:14   #1009  |  Link
noee

With all due respect MAK, you are, quite simply, missing one of the main points of using madVR. I suggest you do as Grmpf recommends and go back and read the first page.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:18   #1010  |  Link
Steveo08

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
With all due respect MAK, you are, quite simply, missing one of the main points of using madVR. I suggest you do as Grmpf recommends and go back and read the first page.

you mean me?
Steveo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:27   #1011  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo08 View Post
you mean me?
noee was talking to racerxnet, from a few posts above.

Quote:
Unless I have an external scaler...

Thanks,

MAK
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:28   #1012  |  Link
KoD

Ok, since this gets repeated:
- CoreAVC using CUDA and madVR works. If you get issues, it simply means you need to use a less demanding algorithm for resampling (max gpu rendering times may seem to be below frame duration, but in reality you have spikes in max gpu rendering times which go above frame duration and that's why you get jerky playback).
- subtitles with madVR work. I'm using ZoomPlayer and vsfilter.dll (the subtitle renderer). MPCHC might not work since it has code that deliberately skips vsfilter from loading (I'm not very sure about this though, I'm not using MPCHC). The most recent version of vsfilter.dll is usually the one packaged in Aegisub, since jfs is the one that did most vsfilter patches in recent times. jfs, I hope you don't mind if I post a direct link to your latest version: vsfilter-2.39e. Download it, unrar it, and register it with your favorite filter manager or on the command line.

Last edited by KoD; 14th May 2009 at 17:40.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:31   #1013  |  Link
racerxnet

Quote:
You did read the first page - did you ? One of the key elements madVR is doing is scaling and madVR does this far better than any (or most) other solutions on your pc. So if you are scaling before you feed your video into madVR you are doing something wrong (imho), the best case is it to leave your video they way it is and let madVR handle the proper change from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4, the scaling and the colormatrix (601 or 709).
I have been on this thread from the beginning, so yes I read all pages. I am not concerned about the color space from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 as I am aware of this. If you read my thread correctly I am concerned whether MadVr uses the correct Lut when scaling to the NATIVE resolution of my panel. If it does, GREAT. If not it would be nice to have a selection within the GUI for 601 or 709.

The reason I ask this is: Is MadVR is using the scaling values from powerstrip to identify 601 or 709, or is it using a flag within the stream to identify SD or HD. If using the first situation we will have the wrong lut in use. The use of the PC to scale has been done by many as you are aware, and to give control over custom porch values on a CRT as well.

MadVr has no capabilities to change resolution, it is the job of the graphics card; ie from (SD)720 x 480 to (HD)1920 x 1080p. Please correct me if I am mistaken as to how MadVr determines LUT usage.

Thanks,

MAK
Old 14th May 2009, 17:32   #1014  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
I have been on this thread from the beginning, so yes I read all pages. I am not concerned about the color space from 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 as I am aware of this. If you read my thread correctly I am concerned whether MadVr uses the correct Lut when scaling to the NATIVE resolution of my panel. If it does, GREAT. If not it would be nice to have a selection within the GUI for 601 or 709.

The reason I ask this is: Is MadVR is using the scaling values from powerstrip to identify 601 or 709, or is it using a flag within the stream to identify SD or HD. If using the first situation we will have the wrong lut in use. The use of the PC to scale has been done by many as you are aware, and to give control over custom porch values on a CRT as well.

MadVr has no capabilities to change resolution, it is the job of the graphics card; ie from (SD)720 x 480 to (HD)1920 x 1080p. Please correct me if I am mistaken as to how MadVr determines LUT usage.

Thanks,

MAK
No madVR does the changing of the resolution for you and output that to your display, using a variaty of techniques that you can choose from within the madVR options.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:53   #1015  |  Link
Grmpf

Quote:

Thanks,

MAK
Hello Mak,

i didn't wanted to be rude in my last post, but i think you still have some misunderstanding about madVR and how it works. Powerstrip changes the resolution of your PC/Desktop and Player software (if its fullscreen), but the scaling is done by the renderer (if you do not use ffdshow or similar and you should *not* use it if you use madVR instead), common renderers doesn't allow you to choose how they scale and they scale bad compared to madVR (or ffdshow, thats why everyone uses ffdshow to scale before madVR was around), but madVR gives you the full control over it, you can even choose differend scalingmethods for luma and chroma ! This has nothing to do with the LUT btw. the LUT is for changing the colorspace and for correcting the primaries/etc. of your display.

So now to your "problem", madVR looks at the input resolution (if you feed SD it uses 601, if you feed HD it uses 709) and not at the output resolution to determine which colormatrix/LUT to use. It does not use the output resolution for the determination or some flag or so, just the input resolution you feed into madVR (thats one reason why it is bad to scale before madVR).
Grmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 18:07   #1016  |  Link
mark0077

madshi, you can download a TestDVD here http://merifon.altervista.org/TestDVD.html

This also gives the macrovision failed error with madVR and Haali renderers so you might be able to get around that issue

Best of luck!
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 18:25   #1017  |  Link
racerxnet

Quote:
So now to your "problem", madVR looks at the input resolution (if you feed SD it uses 601, if you feed HD it uses 709) and not at the output resolution to determine which colormatrix/LUT to use. It does not use the output resolution for the determination or some flag or so, just the input resolution you feed into madVR (thats one reason why it is bad to scale before madVR).
Thanks for the heads up. All I needed to know is how it is determining the Lut usage and you explained it quite clear. I do not use FFdshow. MPC-hc uses Nvidia audio-video decoder and Madvr for external filters. That's all. I've checked the output levels with a test disk but wanted to make sure how the lut was being used.

Thanks,

MAK
Old 14th May 2009, 18:26   #1018  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmpf View Post
Just to add, the SD/HD decision is made with these boundaries:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
HD = wider than 1024 or higher than 576
TinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 18:47   #1019  |  Link
racerxnet

Quote:
Just to add, the SD/HD decision is made with these boundaries:
Quote:
HD = wider than 1024 or higher than 576
Which does not explain my desire to know specifically how LUT use is determined. Input HD = wider than 1024 or higher than 576 or, output of the stream??? Madshi, would you please clarify this. I know there have been requests to select the Lut profile from the GUI in previous posts, so I am not the only one concerned about this situation.

Thanks,

MAK
Old 14th May 2009, 18:49   #1020  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ73 View Post
It would realy be great if the supported colorspaces could be extended to at least YUY2 and NV12
YUY2 support is not planned. Simple reason: Some decoders prefer to output YUY2 and always do that if the renderer accepts it, but they are willing to output YV12 if YUY2 is not accepted. YV12 is better for quality. So madVR does not accept YUY2 to force decoders to output the better quality format.

NV12 could eventually be added later, but you can also use ffdshow to convert YV12 to NV12 right now. So it's not high priority for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo08 View Post
i have a question to madVR at present i am using mpc-hc with dxva and for a better picture the pixel-shader "sharpen complex 2".

now i would like to know how do i get the same (and perhaps better???) results with madVR?
Custom post processing pixel-shaders are currently not supported by madVR. That will come later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
madshi, you can download a TestDVD here http://merifon.altervista.org/TestDVD.html

This also gives the macrovision failed error with madVR and Haali renderers so you might be able to get around that issue
Thanks!

Quote:
Which does not explain my desire to know specifically how LUT use is determined.
Grmpf already explained that perfectly well.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling