Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th August 2018, 07:38   #52161  |  Link
Asmodian

If you need to disable a checkbox to get P10 LAV is probably converting to P10, which is not helpful. You can get madVR to report any format you want if you force LAV to convert to that format but that does not mean you have that format from the decoded video to madVR. LAV will always pick the native, as decoded, video format if it is an allowed output.
Old 24th August 2018, 08:16   #52162  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
The only way to get 12bits with custom timings is calculating your timings with MadVR and using Custom Resolution Utility to add it to your driver.

Go a few pages back, I've explained how to do it and it worked for me and at least one other user.
Yes, I have been using CRU for some time in order to use the newer drivers and get 12bit, as using the Custom Res in Madvr results in 8bit only.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 24th August 2018 at 09:39.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 16:31   #52163  |  Link
thighhighs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post
Potplayer is using Lav filters.
Not sure what seem to be the problem. Downloading few more HEVC encoded videos to test it now.
Edit: nope potplayer still shows everything NV12
Latest LAV + PP work fine for me, P010 output when needed. But just for test i'm activated video transform filter and get "wrong" NV12 output.
So check PP settings in Filter Control section: Video Transform Filter Usage should be "Disable". Also check filters when you play file (right mouse click - Filters): something wrong if you see here "Built-in Video Codec/Transform".
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 17:10   #52164  |  Link
direxx

Hi,

I have a question regarding color space and bit depth. I have a TV with a 10-bit panel and HDR support. I am on Windows 10 1803 with a Radeon RX580 (connected to TV over HDMI 2.0). From what I understand I need to set the output of my graphics card to these options to get HDR support:

- Bit Depth: 10 Bit
- Color Format: YCbCr 4:2:2

In MadVR I set these display properties:

- Native Bit Depth: 10 Bit
- RGB levels: Full PC Levels (0-255)

I know that this setting will result in an additional conversion step. The problem now though is that black levels are totally crushed on my TV, even if I set the RGB level in madVR to "Limited". This cannot be a result from the additional YCbCr conversion, something must be going wrong here. Unfortunately I cannot set the HDMI black level on my TV when the input signal is YCbCr - as far as I understand YCbCr always has the same black level.

The only workaround I found is using RGB Full @8Bit (both in GPU driver and madVR), but then HDR does not work any more. What am I doing wrong?

BTW: Without MadVR I can use the GPU setting "10 Bit with YCbCr 4:2:2" without any blacklevel issues (in e.g. MPC-BE), but I'd like to use madVR for better upscaling and HDR metadata passthrough.

Thanks in advance,
direxx

Last edited by direxx; 24th August 2018 at 17:15.
direxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 17:45   #52165  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by direxx View Post
From what I understand I need to set the output of my graphics card to these options to get HDR support:

If you set your refresh rate to 24Hz, you should be able to get 10 bit Full RGB with HDMI 2.0, which should also fix your black crush issue.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 17:56   #52166  |  Link
direxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
If you set your refresh rate to 24Hz, you should be able to get 10 bit Full RGB with HDMI 2.0, which should also fix your black crush issue.
Yeah I know, but I shoot 4K videos with 60fps, so unfortunately that won't help me.
Old 24th August 2018, 18:10   #52167  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by direxx View Post
Hi,

I have a question regarding color space and bit depth. I have a TV with a 10-bit panel and HDR support. I am on Windows 10 1803 with a Radeon RX580 (connected to TV over HDMI 2.0). From what I understand I need to set the output of my graphics card to these options to get HDR support:

In MadVR I set these display properties:

- Native Bit Depth: 10 Bit
- RGB levels: Full PC Levels (0-255)

I know that this setting will result in an additional conversion step. The problem now though is that black levels are totally crushed on my TV, even if I set the RGB level in madVR to "Limited". This cannot be a result from the additional YCbCr conversion, something must be going wrong here. Unfortunately I cannot set the HDMI black level on my TV when the input signal is YCbCr - as far as I understand YCbCr always has the same black level.

The only workaround I found is using RGB Full @8Bit (both in GPU driver and madVR), but then HDR does not work any more. What am I doing wrong?
For scenario #1, you need the following chain:

(madVR) PC levels (0-255) -> (GPU) Limited Range 16-235 -> (Display) Output as RGB 16-235

It sounds like the display is incorrect.

If you can't get this working, you can output from madVR at 10-bits Full and RGB 8-bit Full from the GPU and still get HDR passthrough. There is another conversion step (10-bits to 8-bits), but chroma upscaling is maintained.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 20:11   #52168  |  Link
zaemon

Simple question: if D3D11 and FSE are activated (10-bit), does madVR bypass whatever the GPU is set to (8 or 10-bit for that matter)?
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 20:30   #52169  |  Link
Asmodian

No it does not. The GPU will convert it if they are not the same.
Old 24th August 2018, 20:40   #52170  |  Link
zaemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No it does not. The GPU will convert it if they are not the same.

Good to know thanks. Problem is that I have the impression that auto framerate/resolution switching does not always select 10-bit bitdepth. I can set it manually for 60 fps but I don’t know if it stays at 10-bit when madVR switches to 24 fps. How to ensure that it always stay at 10-bit?
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 22:05   #52171  |  Link
direxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
If you can't get this working, you can output from madVR at 10-bits Full and RGB 8-bit Full from the GPU and still get HDR passthrough. There is another conversion step (10-bits to 8-bits), but chroma upscaling is maintained.
Nice, this is working.

I always assumed that when I set my GPU to 8 bit I also need to set MadVR to 8 Bit, but with MadVR@10 Bit I get HDR passthrough - even though my GPU is set to RGB Full@8Bit. And the cool thing is that with anything below 30Hz MadVR/the GPU automatically switches to RGB@10Bit. Very nice.

Last edited by direxx; 24th August 2018 at 22:36.
Old 24th August 2018, 22:33   #52172  |  Link
huhn

what ever madVR outputs is not the same to what the GPU outputs.

match bit deep is not wrong here and nvidia will gladly send 8 bit HDR.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 07:03   #52173  |  Link
foobar2000

folks, I have a question, usually our monitors are set to 60hz, while watching 24fps movies, does madvr convert to 60fps since our monitors is 60hz? (monitor faster than the content)

what if, if someone uses Intel's built-in video output, which only supports 4k/24fps through HDMI 1.4, and he's watching 4k 24fps videos, does he get smooth motion, all in all the monitor itself supports 60hz but Intel makes his display stick for 24hz right now (monitor faster than the content, but monitor set to the same fps like the content does)
foobar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 07:57   #52174  |  Link
huhn

madVR does not convert to 60 HZ does not always produce a perfect 3:2 judder since his last statement. that's why madVR has smoothmotion to convert it to "60hz" well ~48 hz but what ever to simulate an output that looks like true 24 HZ.

if you are using an HDMI 1.4 limited GPU and you try to use it on a UHD screen that does not support 24 HZ it will not be able to send a signal and will just stay blank.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 19:49   #52175  |  Link
mv

Guys, what possibly could cause presentation glitches (both in statistics and visible by eye) in Full Screen Windowed mode once in a minute or two?
FSE with same settings (upscale and processing) works without issues. Tried changing almost all madVR settings (including processing, upscale, render queue length, DXVA), changed Nvidia driver version but glitches are still there and only in FS Windowed mode.
mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 21:12   #52176  |  Link
Asmodian

Windows 10 has a new "Focus Assist" feature that needs to be completely disabled. Also f.lux causes presentation glitches.
Old 26th August 2018, 11:12   #52177  |  Link
el Filou

Basically any other application that uses the GPU can cause presentation glitches.
You can use Windows' performance monitor tool perfmon.exe to try and look for what is hogging the GPU at regular intervals.
Old 26th August 2018, 20:52   #52178  |  Link
XMonarchY

I hope madshi is spending some time on those Photoshop plugins. I can already imagine how awesome it would be to have a de-noise tool that does not leave any or much ringing around objects...
Old 26th August 2018, 22:55   #52179  |  Link
mv

Thanks for hints guys!
I've sorted out that remote control software was causing those glitches (even in standby mode with no connected clients). After switching to another software glitches are gone. Thanks again!

BTW
Some time ago I was asking about madvr playback freezes with unstable IPTV UDP streams by my local internet provider. I was able to avoid them by enabling UDP proxy on my router and forming new playlist with http streams instead of UDP. First few seconds of playback are still a painful spectacle with artefacts and glitches but at least it doestn't freeze now.
mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 16:57   #52180  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv View Post
Thanks for hints guys!
I've sorted out that remote control software was causing those glitches (even in standby mode with no connected clients). After switching to another software glitches are gone. Thanks again!

BTW
Some time ago I was asking about madvr playback freezes with unstable IPTV UDP streams by my local internet provider. I was able to avoid them by enabling UDP proxy on my router and forming new playlist with http streams instead of UDP. First few seconds of playback are still a painful spectacle with artefacts and glitches but at least it doestn't freeze now.
What is the name of the remote control software that caused glitches? Which one is the new software you use now that doesn't cause glitches?
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling