Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 22nd September 2017, 12:22   #1  |  Link
senseipiledrive2

MPC-HC/LAV Audio Bitdepth Settings

Hey Guys!

I've been searching for an answer for this for awhile. In the lav audio decoder properties, it lets you select the bit depth format for output, 8-bit int, 16 bit int, 24 bit int, 32 bit int and fp. I want to check mark everything up 32-bit integer or floating point as it should be the best, however my audio receiver only supports playback of files up to 24/192. Should I only select 24-bit then because of my amp? Or is there more to this and I can select 32-bit integer or floating point even though my receiver doesn't process that at face value? Also...should I have both 32 bit integer AND floating point checked (If I'm supposed to check off 32-bit to begin with)

I'm trying to get the best sounding output/ and I believe that would be bit perfect. I'm just confused because my amp only goes up to 24/192 and I don't have any audio files above 24 bit for some high res audio. I do have all of the bitstreaming options check marked.

Side Question: So then, Do I have to have a 32 bit integer or 32 bit floating point file (I don't have any) to test out whether I can use 32 bit integer or floating point settings in conjunction with my receiver? I have had everything except for 8-bit integer check marked and have played a variety of blu-ray discs, 24-bit high res music files, and standard mp3's with no audible problems.

One more quick side question: Should I have checkmarked the option to: Enable Built-In Audio Switcher filter under MPC-HC Options: Audio Switcher. I have it un-checked.

I'm also pretty sure I should be using Internal Audio Renderer under options as well to get that WASAPI output through LAV audio filter

Using audio over HDMI into an Integra DTR 7.8 receiver and latest stable build of MPC-HC: 1.7.13. Lav filters: 0.70.2.1

Last edited by senseipiledrive2; 22nd September 2017 at 12:28.
senseipiledrive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 15:51   #2  |  Link
tebasuna51

1) BitStreaming by HDMI all the codecs supported by your receiver (AC3, DTS, TrueHD, ...)

2) Decode to PCM 24 bits all other codecs (FLAC, AAC, MP3, ...) and are sended by HDMI to your receiver.
The median human ear can distinguise until 20 bitdepth, then 24 bits is more than enough.
The median human ear can listen until 20 KHz audio (than need the double samplerate: 40 KHz), samplerate of 44.1 or 48 is more than enough.
Warning: many PC's send SPDIF output by HDMI (by CopyRight restrictions), and SPDIF limit PCM to 2.0 and can't send PCM multichannel.

3) You don't need know much more about filters, drivers, etc. when you send digital sound to your receiver, than take the control to play, other question is when you attach analog output (jacks) to your analog inputs in your receiver (RCA's), never recommended.
Old 22nd September 2017, 18:04   #3  |  Link
clsid

You should leave all those output formats enabled. Your sound driver will take care of any conversions when necessary.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote