Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 18th September 2017, 10:20   #1241  |  Link
von Suppé

Thanks so much about the MPLS handling info. This is good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
...No, they are stored in "[project folder]\[movie title]\[MPLS number]"... ...are extracted only when they are needed to convert the subtitles to 3D
Then I think to know why I don't have these files/folders. I was doing a "Frame Sequential" mkv. If my understanding & memory serves me right, in that case only 3D subs can be done if you hardcode a subtitle on both left- and right-eye streams. Eventhough the "Subtitles type" in tab 2 was set to "3D only", I left the option in "Hardcode subs on video" on tab 5 to "None".
I do wonder however, why the created "**.2D.sup" files aren't an exact match of the demuxed (2D) sups. They don't have to be altered, my guess?

As for the 3D-planes extraction tool:
Quote:
...the tool to extract them works only on the elementary MVC stream. You must therefore demux the MVC stream from...
Can't help myself for trying out, but in the 3D-planes extraction tool's browser window it is however possible to select the ssif file as input (setting the "filetype" box to "All files (*.*)". And it will output. I compared this output to the result of demuxed mvc file as input.
Both show 6 same-named *.ofs files that are the same size, but not bit-equal (checked with hash-checker). Both "3D-Planes.log" files do show same summary data for the first 5 planes, but Plane 6 is very different indeed.
Of course, from now on I will always run the 3D Planes extractor with the firstly demuxed mvc as source.

Edit:
Quote:
...Generating a whole project with BD3D2MK3D just to have its full 3D-Planes log may be overkill...
Maybe, but once a project is finished, to me it proved very educational to look at the project folder.
Seeing all these files created and used, specially when you choose the windows explorer column "Date created", you can almost chronologically step-by-step follow what steps were taken. Very informative.

Of course I'll do a lot more testing and will certainly use the enormously handy subtitle tools.

For now, cheers

Last edited by von Suppé; 18th September 2017 at 10:47.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 10:48   #1242  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have noticed several times some problems with the original (2D) subtitle streams, especially in Asian films. They contain often bad or empty subtitles, that can and should be removed. Also, BDSup2Sub merges identical subtitles if the gap between them is very short. So, I've decided to load and save the 2D subtitles anyway, just to clean them up. It's also during that first conversion that BD3D2MK3D analyses the stream, determines if there are forced subtitles, and see if the stream can be directly converted to 3D.

However, using the 2D version saved by BDSup2Sub may be a bad thing in some precise circumstances, notably when two (or more) different subtitles are displayed at the same time. It seems that the standard version of BDSup2Sub cannot properly handle them, as it removes the two subtitles. If you want to avoid this, you can try to replace BDSup2Sub.jar with the fork developed by Scorpius666 and available here. Or, if you are confident enough, just use the demuxed stream as it is. (It's the stream without the 2D or 3D extension in the BD3D2MK3D project directory.) Since you don't need to convert them to 3D, the original stream should be OK if it is displayed without problems when you play the original BD.

I haven't written MVCPlanes2OFS.exe myself, but I helped its author. The problem is that the detection of the SEI messages is fairly basic, and I cannot assume that the extraction works correctly when used on a complex file with a lot of multiplexed streams. So, IMO, extracting the 3D-Planes from the SSIF or dependent M2TS may work fine, but it may also fail, depending of the mux and the situation. It is at least safer to extract them from the demuxed MVC elementary stream, so it is a good idea to do it.

Last edited by r0lZ; 18th September 2017 at 22:26. Reason: Link to the BDSup2Sub enhanced fixed. See 2 posts below.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 17:32   #1243  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
...you can try to replace BDSup2Sub.jar with the fork developed by Scorpius666 and available here
I'm sorry, something is not clear. I downloaded the latest version here: https://github.com/mjuhasz/BDSup2Sub/wiki/Download
but it's the same version you have already in your toolset folder.
Can you please confirm this is the proper, latest "fork"?
I have always been using this version as latest download from Videohelp site.
Old 18th September 2017, 22:23   #1244  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oops, sorry, the link I gave you points two posts too far. It should have pointed here. [Previous post fixed] And the fork (called officially BDSup2Sub "enhanced") can be downloaded here.

BD3D2MK3D distributes v5.1.2 by Mjuhasz, the latest "official" version (because I want to be sure that there are no new bugs in the fork before distributing it).

Last edited by r0lZ; 18th September 2017 at 22:27.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 19:40   #1245  |  Link
von Suppé

Thank you, r0lZ.

So, reading this, I think it would be proper custom to always load a demuxed SUP in BDSup2Sub or its fork and export again, just to make sure that errors are cleared out.
I was surprised to see how many warnings there were with SUP from Avatar, for instance.