Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 6th May 2003, 06:06   #1  |  Link
dvds201

backup with new subtitles

Hi, I'm looking for a way to make a DVD backup but I want to add/change the subtitle. I know a way using an authoring software but it's a lot of work and it takes too much time. So to make a long story a short one for example I have American Beauty and I want to put a spanish subtitle that a downloaded. Hope u can help me.
Thanks!!!!

DVDS201
dvds201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2003, 09:23   #2  |  Link
rere

1. Rip the main movie on HD.
2. Demux all streams from the ripped movie (m2v, ac3's, and sup's files) with Vobedit.
3. Use Srt2Sup to obtain the necessary sup file from your srt subtitle (the srt file that U have must be syncronized with the movie).
4. Use IfoEdit in DVD authoring mode to remux everything back (including your sup file).
5. Do not forget to paste the color map from the original ifo into the new ifo.
6. U can burn your new movie on a blank DVD. If U want to preserve all the other features from the original DVD just copy everything into the VIDEO_TS folder (excluding the main movie files) and burn that folder on DVD.
All the necessary software is freeware.
!!! Of couse is not that easy as I decribed above, but theese are the main steps.
So, good luck and let me know if U have problems.
rere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2003, 13:48   #3  |  Link
ppera2

rere:

It's all OK. But I want to change subtitle color. Is some way to achieve it with this methode?

I did it with harder way - reauthorizing DVD with DVD Maestro, made pics for titles with Maestro SBT etc...
ppera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2003, 15:11   #4  |  Link
rere

ppera2:

It could be. U have to obtain the srt files for all your subtitles and re-render everything back to sup using the color setings from srt2sup program.
It seems to be much faster this way only if u have few subtitles (because the character matrix used by subrip usualy is the same for all the subtitles) or if U already have the srt files.
I also tried another method but is an experimental one: author a very small movie with your own subtitle color palette (using an real authoring software) and copy those colors into your ifo file (using IfoEdit). It works for me, but but depends of what authoring software is used and what color settings are in place when rendering with MaestroSBT.
Unfortunattely I made this experiment few months ago and I don't remember the color settings that I used.
Old 6th May 2003, 15:58   #5  |  Link
XCPU

about DVD menu

Dear rere,
If I follow your step to backup my DVD with subtitles, is that possible to keep the original menu in my new backuped DVD?

Thanks!
XCPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2003, 16:06   #6  |  Link
ppera2

Ahh... another 6 MB download
Old 7th May 2003, 13:55   #7  |  Link
rere

To XCPU:
Yes U can. First time when I succeded this way I backed-up a DVD9 "A beautiful Mind" to a DVD5, adding romanian (I am from Romania) subtitle and keeping everything (menus, special features etc.). The only problem is that the new added subtitle is not selectable from menu.
Old 9th May 2003, 03:42   #8  |  Link
XCPU

To rere.

Thank you,rere.
Would you please tell me how to add new subtitle and keep the original menu when I backup my DVD9 or DVD5?I don't care if that can be seleted by menu,it can be selete by remote is enough!

More detail, more helpful.Couse I am really a new.

Thank you!!!
Old 9th May 2003, 08:33   #9  |  Link
rere

To XCPU:
1. Rip (back-up)the entire dvd on HD (using DVD Decrypter, Smart Ripper, etc.). U will have all the files in a VIDEO_TS folder.
2. Use a one-click DVD back-up solution (like DVD2ONE or Pinnacle Instant Copy) if your original DVD is a DVD9.
3. Demux the main movie into .m2v, .ace and .sup files using vobedit (demux all existing streams - U have to check that before using vobedit by opening the main movie ifo into Ifoedit)
4. Be sure that your external subtitle is syncronized with the movie. If not, try to syncronize it first.
5. Use SRT2SUP to obtain the sup file from your subtitle (be sure your settings are the same with the movie format: 720x480 for NTSC or 720x576 for PAL).
6. Open ifoedit in authoring mode and mux all the elementary files (including your sup).
7. Back-up the original ifo's in another folder.
8. Put the main movie files obtained on step 6 into the VIDEO_TS folder (from step 1. or 2.). U have to select ONLY the movie files (ifo, bup and vob), not the video_ts.ifo and video_ts.bup.
9. Do not forget to copy colors from the original main movie ifo (backed-up on step 7.)and paste into the new main movie ifo (using ifoedit).
10. If U are a lucky guy your job is done. If not, U will have problems with the new subtitle colors ..... well, I have no theoretical solution for that. U have to try some other color settings in srt2sup on step 5.

I didn't try yet submux-dvd (it seems to be a nice tool). As soon as I will know how to use it I'll make a post.

Good luck !!!
Old 10th May 2003, 16:57   #10  |  Link
XCPU

problem about srt2sup.

Me too,rere.

when I use subrip 1.17 to convert my txt file into srt file, it gave me the format like this:

00:00:28,601 --> 00:00:31,000
who are you?man?
00:00:31,200 --> 00:00:34,300
benny, sir.
00:00:37,400 --> 00:00:40,500
where are you from?

and then I use srt2sup to import this srt file as a text,the program responsed these messege:

OPEN SRT file as Text
Parsing File: D:\subtitle\test.srt
No X1 found!!!

and then terminated!

I don't know which step done wrong, but I think that must be the subrip step, maybe the file format is wrong.

It make me down and feel so sorry to disturb you for that stupid question once and once.
Old 11th May 2003, 16:37   #11  |  Link
XCPU

me too...

Now I using SRT2SUP v3.05,the new version "Now accepts SRT files without extended position data and badly terminated SRT files (ie no blank lines at the end)", and I can convert srt file into sup format. But in the preview field, I found that just appear a gray bar and can't see any text, is that work right??
Old 11th May 2003, 17:31   #12  |  Link
ppera2

Just edit colors in settings...
Old 12th May 2003, 07:14   #13  |  Link
XCPU

Thank you, ppera2.

I have edited the color and it works fine, now I can add a new subtitle into the movie, but problem is, I add two original subtitle and one new subtitle(total is three),but when I preview the new dvd that authored by IFOedit with POWERDVD EX,I just can view one subtitle, and I have paste the "sub color" and save the ifo file.
Of course, the menu doesn't show!

Do you know why?

Thank you!
Old 12th May 2003, 09:41   #14  |  Link
rere

To XCPU:

Open the main movie ifo using IfoEdit.
Select from the upper window VTS_PGC_1 and look on the bootom window at the subpicture streams statuses: the subpicture format must be the same as the movie format (4:3 or 16:9), otherwise only the first subpicture stream will be shown.
U can modify the subs format by double-click on subpicture stream status and changing the numeric value.
If U don't know what value to use, I'll make U a list.

Good luck !!!
Old 13th May 2003, 16:20   #15  |  Link
XCPU

Big thanks to rere

I can keep the menu down and at the same time I can add a new subtitle now, but I don't know why problem always follows me!Now, I don't know how to edit the subtitle color!

Because the original DVD doesn't has any existing subtitle, so I don't know where can I copy the subtitle color from. The menu highlight color is red, how can I edit the subtitle in srt2sup?
Old 14th May 2003, 08:27   #16  |  Link
rere

@XCPU:

Don't use srt2sup.
Just copy the subtitle color from a ifo that has subtitles - another movie, another DVD - (with IfoEdit of course).
Old 14th May 2003, 14:22   #17  |  Link
XCPU

THANKS,rere!

I did it, but my subtitle has a color background. Any mistaken??
Old 4th June 2003, 20:19   #18  |  Link
spannick

i am using srt2sup now very good BUT I have one problem....
the subs are always on the same high position - when i make new subs with srt2sup they are halfway above the lower black bar in a 2.35 Movie in NTSC (Two Line Subs).

if i disable Autocenter,i can position them where i want of course - but with 900 subs for a Movie its kinda HARD to get them all where i want them to be (in the LOWER BAR!) ,isnt it???
spannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 15:27   #19  |  Link
svcdentro

?

I followed the guide and everything is fine but the subtitles are wrong, i think it's because i don't do the 9 step:
9. Do not forget to copy colors from the original main movie ifo (backed-up on step 7.)and paste into the new main movie ifo (using ifoedit).
Because i don't know how to, if you could explain this point detailing steps please because i open an ifo and then go to SUBTITLE COLOR in ifoedit but it always says ERROR YOU MUST SELECT A PGC IN IFOEDIT TREEVIEW! I don't know what to do! Please help me.
Old 12th June 2003, 11:27   #20  |  Link
rere

@ svcdentro
1. open the original main movie ifo into ifoedit
2. into the upper window click on VTS_PGCITI, then click on the VTS_PGC_1
3. go to subtile color menu and select copy colors from this PGC
4. open your ifo without quiting ifoedit, follow the step 1, select subtitle colors menu and paste colors into this pgc.

good luck!