Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2001, 02:48   #1  |  Link
zed

Chapters

Hi,

I created some chapters in a video stream using CCE before setting it to encode and when i loaded the MPEG2 file in to my authoring program it could not see the chapters. What is the point of the chapter option if it does not set them??

Am I doing this wrong?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Zed
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 04:44   #2  |  Link
Kedirekin

I believe the chapters option in CCE just insures that the frame (i.e. time) you've chosen is encoded as an i-frame. For professional authoring, you need to ensure that a chapter point falls on an i-frame so there is no delay when the user skips to that point.

I believe that is all that CCE does for chapters. Chapter entry points are not part of the elementary video stream, which is all that CCE is responsible for. If I'm not mistaken, actually setting the entry points is a function of muxing, not encoding.

And playback control (which many players need in order to support chapters) is a function of authoring.
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 09:13   #3  |  Link
zed

Ok thanks for the help, I thought that was the case, shame though cause it would have been nice and quick that way

cheers

Zed
zed is offline   Reply With Quote