Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th December 2006, 00:16   #1  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Neuview .. I'm impressed

I'm always skeptical of players that claim to drastically improve image quality and with good reason , as I'm usually disappointed with them.
However I've just tried the trial version of Neuview and I'm impressed.

The sharpening and noise filtering it does is quite average and nothing special , but it's automatic adjustment of contrast , light and color is good and it's Pixelfusion resampling technique is impressive.

It's not free though

It does some interesting things like it has it's own video and audio renderers and it has an "advanced playback kernel" that can seek and playback at various speeds and do it really well.
It can even play backwards which is not only very interesting but also funny to watch
Things that were smashed reassemble themselves and people fall up .. this is the first player I've seen that can do this.

Here's the URL :
http://www.neuviewed.com/neuview6/ge...chnology/index
CeeJay.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 03:27   #2  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

I'm always up for testing image enhancement. This one doesn't look too bad - I'm pretty sure it's using a form of b-spline interpolation, the same all the way from low up to image. The only difference is that each step has a little more sharpening applied. Compared to the standard bicubic, lanczos, and company it definitely looks good, similar to ffdshow's spline resize but just slightly better. The higher resize modes probably add some normal sharpening, some warp-sharpening, and longer splines, from what I can tell. CPU usage is approximately the same as ffdshow's higher resizers/sharpeners as well. There's no actual edge directionality, which would be an amazing feat in realtime, so my dream remains unfulfilled...

Too bad it only goes to 1/2 speed, if it went to 1/4 or less I'd buy it right now for a client. The audio resampling is pretty bad, but at least it's there. Its audio maxes out at +-2x, it'd be even funnier if it could play a movie in, say, 4x or 10x with sound. =p

The automatic presets are pretty nice. Not nearly as amazing as HDRAGC, but much faster and much easier.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 04:18   #3  |  Link
Pookie

Jahplayer has 1, 12, 15, Standard, 180fps playback options, Foxyshadis. Not bad, looks like the commercial app "FrameCycler".

Some limited features otherwise, especially for home use, but it can supposedly play 2K uncompressed frames.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/j...r.exe?download

Whoops. It's cooler than I thought. Two videos playing in the same window, ala "StackHorizontal"

"Jahplayer is capable of playing image sequences and digital video in various industry-standard formats, including Windows AVI, QuickTime, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. It supports A/B playback as well as custom aspect ratios and resolutions. It offers reels support to facilitate the categorization of image sequences and video files. The view can be set for timeline, filmstrip, asset or playlist. Playback color depth is 32 bits per pixel.

The player also offers a complete sequence analysis toolkit. Red, green, blue and alpha channels can be viewed separately. Additionally, Jahplayer supports histogram display with A/B comparison."

http://www.digitalpostproduction.com...fterinter=true

Last edited by Pookie; 7th December 2006 at 04:53.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 16:00   #4  |  Link
CruNcher

Im very skeptical about the peps behind Jahshaka and Jahplayer and the company behind it, but we gonna see in the future what will become of this project.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 00:42   #5  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
I'm always up for testing image enhancement. This one doesn't look too bad - I'm pretty sure it's using a form of b-spline interpolation, the same all the way from low up to image. The only difference is that each step has a little more sharpening applied. Compared to the standard bicubic, lanczos, and company it definitely looks good, similar to ffdshow's spline resize but just slightly better. The higher resize modes probably add some normal sharpening, some warp-sharpening, and longer splines, from what I can tell. CPU usage is approximately the same as ffdshow's higher resizers/sharpeners as well. There's no actual edge directionality, which would be an amazing feat in realtime, so my dream remains unfulfilled...

Too bad it only goes to 1/2 speed, if it went to 1/4 or less I'd buy it right now for a client. The audio resampling is pretty bad, but at least it's there. Its audio maxes out at +-2x, it'd be even funnier if it could play a movie in, say, 4x or 10x with sound. =p

The automatic presets are pretty nice. Not nearly as amazing as HDRAGC, but much faster and much easier.
I think it's more than simple resampling while upscaling .. if you view an image or movie at the same resolution as the source or if you downscale the source , it still brings out more details.

Qolabs that makes this, also make a free pixelfusion only plugin for WMP ( http://www.qolabs.com/pixelfusion/index.htm ) , that also have some details on how this work (not much though)
It might be connected to the algorithm they use in their Focalpoint Photo Editor ( http://qolabs.com/focalpoint/features/focus.htm ).
The algorithm in focalpoint runs much slower though (but yields very good results) - I was wondering if it was some kind of deconvolution algorithm..

Speeding up playback could indeed be fun as well .. both with or without audio pitch correction .. the most useful would be with it on.

I hadn't heard of HDR AGC before but I'm reading about it now.
Probably too slow to be useful for playback.

What I'd really love would be a decent algorithm like Neuview's IQ lighting in a free playback tool .. preferably FFDshow.
Picasa 2 from google can also improve the lighting greatly with it's one-click fix for lighting ( click the tuning tab and then the first magic wand ). It also has a Auto contrast feature that works well , but I'm not sure if it works the same way as the one-click fix.
If someone could figure out how it does that , then we're one step closer to getting some clever coder to implement it in a useful tool (either in a avisynth filter or into ffdshow)

On another note , I tried out Jahplayer and boy is that a gui-hell.
It's hard to find the open function and when I did, the filebrowser hides the scrollbar, making it really difficult to find the file you're looking for.
It also couldn't play some of my files and as much as I tried, I couldn't find a way to view the source in fullscreen.

It's terrible as a movie player .. perhaps it has uses for editing videos , but for playback it stinks (in its current version).
CeeJay.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 01:48   #6  |  Link
Pookie

I must agree about Jahplayer. Seemed hopeful, and it still may be, but I too haven't had great luck at playing much. They have an opensource codec pack that installs with the app which might prove beneficial, but who knows...

foxyshadis - there's a setting in Mplayer that allows you to adjust playback speeds. Lemme know and I'll look around for the syntax.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 05:26   #7  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay.dk View Post
I think it's more than simple resampling while upscaling .. if you view an image or movie at the same resolution as the source or if you downscale the source , it still brings out more details.
Yes, that's the sharpening aspect. It's a good sharpener, doesn't cause noticeable halos and has some aspects of warpsharp as well, but isn't much more amazing that what one can do with LimitedSharpenFaser (or SeeSaw) and Warpsharp in ffdshow. If you run them after resize, quality is much higher, but you need a powerful system to keep from dropping any frames.

Basically I think the things Neuview does are interesting, maybe I'll try to see if I can improve ffdshow's support - without breaking everything - but I have a strong enough system that I don't have any need to pay for a packaged fix.

Jahplayer is interesting, but didn't pick up my soundcard, so I didn't use it much. Except to play a couple of things at 180fps, lol.

Pookie, if it's a keyboard shortcut that'd work; if it requires command-line options don't worry about it.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote