Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 2nd March 2003, 13:28   #41  |  Link
shh

Update:
Ok, the same problem comes up without EclCCE, so your program is definatly innocent, RB.
So, it must be avisynth what has a memory-leak.

Adding ResampleAudio(44100) doesn't help, btw.

CCE RAM-usage seems to be ok.
Pagefile increases on:
- ecl-saving (when using EclCCE), for each file a little bit
- ecl-loading (when using EclCCE), for each file a little bit
- generally when activating the preview (going to settings to add chapter-points etc.)

...and there seems to be no work-around.
Any ideas??
Should we post this problems at the avisynth-subsection of this forum? Perhaps the programmers there are already aware of that memory-leak.

Best regards
shh

Update 2:
The memory-leak does not occur in CCE v2.50! I've used the same avisynth-script.
After showing the preview under 'settings', the pagefile-usage goes up a little bit, but after closing the preview, it is freed again.
(In v2.66.1.7 the memory is not freed afterwords)
So this is a problem of CCE v2.66.1.7 (or perhaps the crack)

Last edited by shh; 2nd March 2003 at 13:45.
shh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2003, 19:51   #42  |  Link
RB
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by shh

After showing the preview under 'settings', the pagefile-usage goes up a little bit, but after closing the preview, it is freed again.
(In v2.66.1.7 the memory is not freed afterwords)
So this is a problem of CCE v2.66.1.7 (or perhaps the crack)
I suspected something like that and that's why I asked you to perform the steps I suggested here. The reason that you and Mikel thought it's related to EclCCE probably is that you never (or rarely) browsed through the CCE settings up to the chapter and encode range settings where this preview window comes up. But EclCCE always does this, it basically opens up all the CCE setting dialogs and reads/writes the controls in there and that's how the ECL is being read/written.

As for the source of this problem, I really think it's what you mentioned last ... I definitely do not have this problem ...

Now what I could do about it is to provide a switch that will prevent EclCCE from opening this particular dialog. This would of course mean that encode range and chapter lists will not be read/written from/to the ECL. How does this sound?
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2003, 20:07   #43  |  Link
Ntsita

Quote:
Originally posted by RB
Now what I could do about it is to provide a switch that will prevent EclCCE from opening this particular dialog. This would of course mean that encode range and chapter lists will not be read/written from/to the ECL. How does this sound?
For me it's a good choice, because this two setting are typically performed in other manner (range with avisinth and chapters with authoring program)
Ntsita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2003, 22:54   #44  |  Link
RB
Retired

The chapter list in CCE of course does not really create chapters, this is a DVD, not an MPEG2 feature. It's there to, so to say, "serve" an authoring program like Maestro. Chapters can only be set at I-Frames and all the chapters list in CCE does is to tell CCE that it should create I-Frames at specific points so that authoring software can create a chapter break at this frame at all.
Old 3rd March 2003, 08:03   #45  |  Link
Ntsita

Yes, it's right.
But if a chapter is pointed to a not-I frame, what happens?
Surely, if you go to this chapter, you have a very slightly delay before the frame is displayed (it will be searched the next I frame after that point), or not?
Old 3rd March 2003, 08:11   #46  |  Link
RB
Retired

A chapter cannot point to a non-I-Frame. That means that if there's no I-Frame at the point where you want to set the chapter, the authoring software will set the chapter at either the previous or next I-Frame. IOW, your chapters will be off by up to size of GOP.
Old 3rd March 2003, 08:59   #47  |  Link
Ntsita

okay, then is it insignificant?
Old 3rd March 2003, 09:06   #48  |  Link
RB
Retired

Depends on your personal taste I'd say I'd surely like to keep the exact chapters from the original DVD (if we are talking about backing up DVDs). Anyway, I'll put that switch in and everyone can do as he likes.
Old 5th March 2003, 10:01   #49  |  Link
RB
Retired

OK, new version 1.1a is out. You use /nochapterlist on the command line to work around this "bug". You can also make this setting stick by adding

Code:
ChapterList=0
to the [EclCCE] section in EclCCE.ini.
Old 5th March 2003, 15:00   #50  |  Link
rui

little sugestion

Great. Thanks for your ongoing support

Just a sugestion: could you place the link for your wonderfull software in your signature, so one wouldn't have to go to the post in the first page of the thread to get it.

I know, it's a small thing, but i think your work is so good that it deserves to be mentioned in your signature

Thanks again.
Old 5th March 2003, 21:14   #51  |  Link
RB
Retired

Maybe

@moderator:

Maybe we can make this thread sticky?
Old 7th March 2003, 10:52   #52  |  Link
Mikel

@ RB

Hi RB
Also from my side thanx a lot.

By disabling chapters, the memory problem disappears.
I just dont get it that on one PC, the problem occurs while on another it does not.
(both PCs use Win XP Pro with 510 MB RAM).
This is a very strange bug from the CCE side.
Maybe it's also only in the trial version.

Cheers

Mikel
Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2003, 18:21   #53  |  Link
Chatwalker

@RB

1.1a seems to have a bug. VBR-Scripts are loaded as CBR in CCE 2.66.01.07. With Version 1.1 all went fine.

Regards
Chatwalker

P.S.: Maybe you can send me an e-mail. I'am also from Germany and have one or two small questions.
Chatwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2003, 19:20   #54  |  Link
RB
Retired

Doh! Sorry for this bug, not sure how it slipped through . Uploaded a fixed 1.1a (same URL). Strange nobody else noticed this...

Send me a PM if you think it's not appropriate for open discussion.
Old 7th March 2003, 21:16   #55  |  Link
Chatwalker

@RB

Same bug with CCE 2.67 and new 1.1a
CCE 2.66 and VBR now work with 1.1a

Regards
Chatwalker
Old 8th March 2003, 12:47   #56  |  Link
RB
Retired

I can't reproduce this bug with 2.67. Are you sure? Please post the ECL file you are trying to load.
Old 9th March 2003, 00:38   #57  |  Link
Discoboy

@RB

I’ve got the same issues as Chatwalker, i.e. with 1.1a VBR-Scripts when reloaded as CBR in CCE 2.66.01.07. Ecl attached as requested. Look forward to your feedback.
Discoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2003, 12:39   #58  |  Link
Chatwalker

@RB

I think the normal setting for VBR in the ECL is 'video_type=4'. Sometimes EclCCE expects 'video_type=16' otherwise the encoding mode is set to CBR. This effect not always appear.

If i save a ECL with EclCCE, sometimes the 'video_type'-value is set to 4, sometimes to 16.

Regards
Chatwalker
Old 9th March 2003, 15:41   #59  |  Link
RB
Retired

Discoboy, Chatwalker: this should not happen with the latest fixed 1.1a. Please download again to be sure you got the latest version. I am unable to reproduce this here.

Could it be you are loading an ECL into 2.67 that was saved with v1.1 (without the a)? Then this could be the problem. Set encoding mode to VBR and save again or create a new ECL. There was a change from 1.1 to 1.1a that I didn't document (sorry): CCE 2.67 has two new encoding modes and these new encoding modes were saved with video_type values in the ECL that were previously used for VBR and CBR. I changed this in 1.1a so that the video_type values saved from 2.67 are 2.66-compatible.
Old 9th March 2003, 18:46   #60  |  Link
Discoboy

@RB - good news, the issue is fixed after downloading 1.1a again. Strange thing is the original file I had in properties indicated it was ver. 1.1a but both the .exe and .dll files were dated 5th Mar. The new download again indicates ver. 1.1a both the files are newer and dated 7th Mar.?

Many thanks for you great prog.
Discoboy is offline   Reply With Quote