Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 12th October 2008, 15:59   #1  |  Link
kaid

Making PS3-compatible BD/AVCHD (and m2ts) under Linux/MacOS X using TsRemux/Mono

Okay... Since I couldn't accept that TsMuxer's BD output was b0rked under Linux, and since there's no way to get any reaction whatsoever from Roman, I set off to try a different venue: TsRemux!
I had played around with it under Windows a bit and saw that it could do both .m2ts muxing and Bluray/AVCHD structure generation...
Since it is based on .NET and since there is Mono, the opensource version of .NET, I thought I'd check it out. It seems to run fine at first, but once you do a BD mux you'll quickly notice there's a load of &$%& directories with backslashes and you can't even rearrange the files manually because some are missing (because the directories weren't there). Obviously the coder had hardcoded backslashes into TSremux. So I downloaded the TsRemux source, installed monodevelop and quickly found the culprits in Utils.cs and BlueMux.cs. Changed the backslashes to slashes, compiled and voila: it worked as intended!
I verified the BD muxes to work on a PS3 and an USB-stick (renamed to 8.3 AVCHD filenames!), this means optical media should work just as well...
Next stop: MacOS X. Installed the Mono Framework (no need for MonoDevelop, since I had the fixed executable already!) and while the GUI stuff is way more buggy - the file dialogues (no access to anything outside your home folder, no text entering possible, extreme flickering in directories with many files), "blind clicking" on the track selection window to set checkboxes - than under Linux, it still worked! It likes to crash rather often (a bit less so under Linux it seems!) and sometimes gives strange error-warnings, but it does work for the job intended!

Find the Unix-fixed binary (called TsRemunix.exe! ;-) attached... It's based on the latest source from the TsRemux-Thread (0.21.2)

So here's what you do:

1. Install mono-framework 2.0
Linux: 'sudo aptitude install libmono-winforms2.0-cil' for Debianners/Ubuntans (or download from the mono-HP)
MacOS X: Download from the mono-HP and install (i tried the macports version before, but it wouldn't work!)

2.Download the attached TsRemunix.exe

3.Launch TsRemunix
Linux/MacOS X: just enter 'mono TsRemunix.exe' in the shell
For extra convenience Mac-Users could copy the binary e.g. to /usr/local/bin/ and then place a shellscript with a .command ending and the contents:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
mono /usr/local/bin/TsRemunix.exe &
..in the /Programs directory. Make it executable using chmod +x (or use the file properties dialogue!) and you can launch TsRemunix like any other program!

4. Using it
Linux: Just use it like under Windows. Colors and stuff are a bit off, but it works!
MacOS X: Just have everything in your home folder, since you can't seem to access anything outside it. Important! There seems to be a refresh issue with the Mac version of Mono, so the Elementary streams don't show after you load a file! Just click around in the area directly below where it says "Select the elementary streams you want to keep:" and they will appear one by one! You need to checkbox all streams you want to mux before you can start BD-muxing! Another rather annoying bug is that you cannot enter any text in the file dialogue boxes, so you can't give your files names, you can only overwrite existing ones (.ts/.m2ts muxing) or choose existing folders/create 'new folder' (BD muxing). So do this work (creating folders for bd-muxing, creating empty files for .ts/.m2ts muxing) in the Finder!
It is a pain in the neck to use, but both .m2ts muxing and BD muxing work, I've verified the files to play on the PS3! Most likely at least some of these bugs are due to the MacOS Version of mono only being 1.9.1 instead of 2.0 like the Linux version... But Version 2.0 for MacOS is due out soon, so let's hope it fixes atleast a few of these bugs!

Edit: If the bugs in the crash-prone GUI piss you off too much, you can try the CLI mode of TsRemux. Just launch it with a single arg like 'mono TsRemunix.exe ?' to see what it has to offer!

Now, the only problem is where to get a program that *makes* .ts streams? TsRemux does not like MKVs ("experimental" only, and MPEG2-only so far!) unfortunately. Under Linux you can always use TsMuxer, since .ts and .m2ts muxing works just fine in that (plus you can fix the levelbyte! ;-). But under MacOS X there seems to be not a single program that can mux proper .ts streams. I tried the VLC Streaming wizard, but the result was b0rked, TsRemux just said it's an AVC stream and an "unknown stream", and trying to remux it would just give a big error.
Any suggestions?

Update: I installed the latest Mono 2.0 Framework for OS X and the GUI bugs are gone now! ;-) Now, I would be REALLY freaking psyched if TSremux could actually read MKVs...
Attached Files
File Type: zip TsRemunix.exe.zip (48.3 KB, 629 views)

Last edited by kaid; 20th February 2009 at 00:23. Reason: Added info on latest Mono Runtime
kaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 11:37   #2  |  Link
astragalos

Thank you very much, kaid. You just saved my life
I have tried a lot to make tsmuxer work under linux but I could not. I hope this method runs well for me.

Thanks again !!!
astragalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 03:12   #3  |  Link
kaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by astragalos View Post
Thank you very much, kaid. You just saved my life
I have tried a lot to make tsmuxer work under linux but I could not. I hope this method runs well for me.

Thanks again !!!
You're very welcome! ;-D ...and just when I was starting to think I was the only one using Unix around here, hehe...
Old 16th October 2008, 07:08   #4  |  Link
boissy
dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaid View Post
You're very welcome! ;-D ...and just when I was starting to think I was the only one using Unix around here, hehe...
Don't worry, I use it too.
Hardi Heron 8.04 here.
I'm fan of HD videos too.
I use somme very stong tools in "w*indows" like MeGUI for encoding videos from m2ts to mkv for exemple.
I was wondering wich program I can use under Linux

NjB
boissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 12:02   #5  |  Link
kaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by boissy View Post
Don't worry, I use it too.
Hardi Heron 8.04 here.
I'm fan of HD videos too.
I use somme very stong tools in "w*indows" like MeGUI for encoding videos from m2ts to mkv for exemple.
I was wondering wich program I can use under Linux

NjB
How bout x264, the same program that MeGUI is nothing but a frontend for? ;-)
See here on how to make your own encoder with mplayer and x264 on the CLI...

This might also be of interest if you're working the *nix toolchain! ;-)

Tags
avchd, linux, macos, ps3, tsremux