Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st January 2009, 11:31   #21  |  Link
clsid

I am not saying that third party filters are necessarily better. I think it is a good thing that the player supports more 'out-of-the-box'. If the bugs in the MS decoder(s) are fixed, then there would be no real need for third party ones. At least not for the average user. But I do think that people should not be forced to use specific decoders. Certainly since WMP is a still also a DirectShow capable player. WMP should just default to using MF/DMO for everything that it supports natively. But it should be configurable for advanced users. The interface of WMP has improved nicely, but due to the inflexibility of the player, many will choose to use a different player.

I can't give you a scenario for the bugs. Those are the experiences of others that I have read. I have only played with W7 a little bit in a VM.
Old 23rd January 2009, 00:08   #22  |  Link
zachdms

It is theoretically possible that third party vendors without adequate quality control may have significantly encouraged the player to be less flexible in this capacity. It's probably better for the player to not crash and die unexpectedly than to worry about being "too inflexible". Mom and Pop can't necessarily handle codec packs messing up, and the player probably needs to focus on the 98% case.

If there's some significant and exact scenario in question, that might be interesting. If the question is simply "how do we stomp on the MSFT decoders", I don't know why that's interesting at this time. Especially as opposed to flagging specific issues in what is noted as a beta release.
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:39   #23  |  Link
73ChargerFan

specific: support for FLAC & MKV is missing.
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:03   #24  |  Link
Ryokurin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachdms View Post
It is theoretically possible that third party vendors without adequate quality control may have significantly encouraged the player to be less flexible in this capacity. It's probably better for the player to not crash and die unexpectedly than to worry about being "too inflexible". Mom and Pop can't necessarily handle codec packs messing up, and the player probably needs to focus on the 98% case.

If there's some significant and exact scenario in question, that might be interesting. If the question is simply "how do we stomp on the MSFT decoders", I don't know why that's interesting at this time. Especially as opposed to flagging specific issues in what is noted as a beta release.
It's not a issue of wanting to kill their decoders, just to allow people the choice of using what they want. If anything, I'm all for MS to put in functional codecs to stop people from using kitchen sink codec packs as it will make my side job easier, heck my day job as well. Being able to toggle between codecs would be an excellent way to determine bugs as well.
Ryokurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:12   #25  |  Link
zachdms

If there was a magic toggle, it would seem that that would have to require explicit user override if you really wanted to ensure at least a minimum user experience. Otherwise every codec pack then sets this magic flag and you end up in crash city again. I think I'm done thinking about this aspect of the conversation at this point: I'd be interested in specific Win7 WMP problem points, but I'm not at this point interested in thinking about or learning about how to stomp on WMP's decoders. It seems like we've already gone down that route before and it caused a lot of people a lot of grief. I apologize if there's any perception that I'd be interested in discussing this. I'm here as a friend and am specifically and only interested here in knowing where WMP specifically is failing within the bounds of things it is trying to do.

73: Yes, you'd need an external filter for MKV/FLAC. Same for Shoutcast/PLS and etc. You probably don't think the player is perfect, which means that the team probably would want to focus on core scenarios first before adding support for every file type under the sun. Are you having problem installing your MKV or FLAC filter...?
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:55   #26  |  Link
clsid

Could you try to improve compatibility between DirectVobSub and WMP12? A lot of people are having subtitle problems.

srt -> doesn't load at all
idx/sub -> works ok
embedded -> works ok when using "auto-load vsfilter" workaround in Haali Media Splitter
Old 24th January 2009, 00:25   #27  |  Link
Pr3d

Did someone try to use DXVA on Windows 7?
Im using the same OS (build 7000 i mean) but it doesnt work.
Pr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 00:28   #28  |  Link
Snowknight26

It works fine here (as does MPC-HC's DXVA).
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 00:41   #29  |  Link
Pr3d

Im using MPC-HC build 908 with HD 4850, Catalyst beta driver for Seven, H264 internal filter is enabled, no external codecs.

If i launch a 1080p video my CPU is always around 45%.
This thing didnt happen under Vista.

Any idea? Could be a catalyst problem?
Old 24th January 2009, 02:37   #30  |  Link
zachdms

I can nearly guarantee that for file types not in at this point that questions about better support for that type would be best made within the official (not the general public) 7 beta program. It sounds like SRT didn't meet the bar for general inclusion, and I would suspect that beta program members aren't indicating that this is a key scenario for them.
There are a number of smaller useful features that just aren't going to make the bar as the focus on Windows 7 is more on general and specific excellence than on some of the smaller scenarios that affect a tiny percent of users. Actual beta feedback can help drive change, though.

If there's some magical stat that says that SRT is the world wide file type king, that might be interesting, but as of right now I think it falls below the bar.
Old 24th January 2009, 15:30   #31  |  Link
clsid

SRT subtitles are very commonly used for custom translations.

I am not asking for native support for it. Just compatibility with a third party filter (DirectVobSub aka VSFilter). It loads for embedded SSA/ASS subtitles, so why shouldn't it also load for .srt ones like it does on Vista?
Old 24th January 2009, 17:54   #32  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Just to let you know, some Microsoft devs have been in contact with Haali (and me) to make his MKV splitter work with the Windows 7 VC-1, h264 and AAC decoders. So things are looking quite promising...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 19:35   #33  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachdms View Post
73: Yes, you'd need an external filter for MKV/FLAC. Same for Shoutcast/PLS and etc. You probably don't think the player is perfect,
My wife & I think MCE is fantastic, and I think the library browser in WMP11 is the easiest for me and my family to use.

I use flac because it has a MD5 checksum in it, and can self-check. About 5% of my wma lossless collection became corrupted (hd error) and to check the files, I had to manually verify their checksums which took forever.

I think I have a valid reason to use FLAC over WMA Lossless, and only want my family to see those files with the ease they can see mp3 files.

Thanks for reading this thread.
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 20:41   #34  |  Link
Pr3d

I tried to install latest catalyst driver realease but nothing seems changed.

Old 24th January 2009, 21:01   #35  |  Link
Avenger007
Bruce Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Just to let you know, some Microsoft devs have been in contact with Haali (and me) to make his MKV splitter work with the Windows 7 VC-1, h264 and AAC decoders. So things are looking quite promising...
That will be a milestone for MKV support (as already is for MP4), putting an end to WMV/ASF native-support dominance.
Now if only we had good lossless frame-accurate MKV editing support...
Avenger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 19:57   #36  |  Link
kosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Are they looking to have MKV support be native in Windows 7? That would be pretty impressive to say the least.
kosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 20:26   #37  |  Link
Casimir666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3d View Post
I tried to install latest catalyst driver realease but nothing seems changed.

It seems you have driver deliver by Microsoft. DXVA works fine for me with beta drivers downloaded from ATI :

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...estionID=39069
Old 26th January 2009, 21:57   #38  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmonaut View Post
Are they looking to have MKV support be native in Windows 7? That would be pretty impressive to say the least.
No native support. Just good compatibility with the recommended (third party) Matroska splitter.
Old 26th January 2009, 22:15   #39  |  Link
kosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
No native support. Just good compatibility with the recommended (third party) Matroska splitter.
That's kind of what I thought, but still, it's progress!
kosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote