Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th January 2016, 17:53   #35481  |  Link
Sunset1982

Is someone of you guys using madvr with a LG 4k OLED? Which dithering option are you using then? OD, ED1 or ED2?
Old 18th January 2016, 17:54   #35482  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo081089 View Post
Sorry for my english.

I mean if i try to watch a 4k video the rendering time using NNEDI3 is so high i canīt watch the video, but i can watch it using BILINEAR.

So i want to know is the quality of NNEDI3 is really that better than BILINEAR, because maybe i need a new Graphic card
Is this for chroma scaling? Or do you have a screen bigger than 4k?

For chroma scaling NNEDI3 is not really worth buying a new Graphics card for. Even bilinear isn't that bad, although there are better options (bicubic, Jinc, bilateral, SuperChromaRes, adaptive chroma), most of which are a lot faster than NNEDI3. You should probably try and see which ones you can run, and which ones look better.

Last edited by Shiandow; 18th January 2016 at 21:44.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 18:13   #35483  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
have 2 new crashlogs:

crash when starting 2D mkv: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1powwghbwa...%202D.txt?dl=0

3D movies not getting 1080p23 with latest lav:https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3kujsjrz7...%203D.txt?dl=0
Debug logs are usually not useful for crashes. For crashes I need the crash/bug report from the madVR crash box. In any case, these will very likely be the NVidia driver crashes again. This problem should hopefully go away in the next build when letting madVR dynamically enable/disable OS 3D support depending on played content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
xysubfilter 746, LAV splitter 67.0, madvr 90.2, in mpchc, running 64bits, d3d11. I could be wrong about when the issue started popping up.

I can send you a sample if you wish.
Does it only occur with some subtitles? If so, which kind does it occur with and which not? Does it only occur with one subtitle renderer? If so, with which does it occur and with which not? Does it only occur for subtitles rendered in black bars? Do the madVR options matter?

And finally: Why do you want to playback something at 2x speed? I mean, a bug is a bug. But I wonder how important this really is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Happy to report the AMD bug is fixed with Crimson
Great - less work for me!!

Quote:
One suggestion, similar to the suggestion I made for P3/Rec2020 calibrations which need a filter, it would be great not only to have a separate 3D LUT slot for 3D, it would also be useful if we could pair it with a specific user mode on displays which are controlled by MadVR like the JVCs, so that for example we can switch to high lamp, iris fully open and a different color temp calibration automatically.

If we could assign a specific user mode next to each calibration slot that would be ideal.
Same answer as with P3/2020 calibration user mode ip control: Maybe at some point, but probably not soon.

Quote:
Unfortunately Crimson 16.1 is still clipping whites between 230-235 in 3D when the GPU is set to RGB Full, and there is still no way to specify a dynamic range separately from the pixel format, so going back to Catalyst 14.12.
You could use a custom output format to 16-230 as a workaround. That should solve the clipping problem, but you'll lose a tiny bit of peak brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I can confirm that this crash does not happen in v0.89.19. It does happen in v0.90.0+.
Strange. Nobody else reported this, and the only time I've seen a crash report from this source code line in madVR is from you. So I wonder why it only seems to happen to you. Can you please retry with v0.90.3? If it still occurs, can I please get another crash report? I may then have to create a test build (or several) to get to the bottom of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Yes I did, I've been running a lot of tests today and long story short Jinc AR provides the most natural and subjectively best looking results to my eyes because others either look too soft or too edgy/sharp/artificial. Depending on whether it's SD or HD I play around with the chroma SR strength as it increases sharpness and EE(in combination with luma SR).

I've also run extensive comparisons between both old and new chroma SR and the newest looks a lot cleaner, so much that I run it @1 for 720p@1080p and up to @4 on SD@1080p depending on how noisy it is.
Glad to hear you like the new chroma SR.

You didn't exactly answer my original question, though. I didn't ask about "reconstruction sharp", "reconstruction placebo", "chroma SR" or anything else. I only asked about one very specific thing: Namely Jinc vs "reconstruction soft". Your reply "others either look too soft or too edgy/sharp/artificial" doesn't make sense to me in that context, unless "reconstruction soft" looks sometimes too soft and sometimes too edgy/sharp/artificial, which doesn't seem probable to me (but I guess it's not impossible, if that's really your test result).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Vobsub is cropped if outside video area yet within screen area and cropping of black bars is enabled. Move subtitles is disabled.

Also, is it possible to keep the vobsubs within the screen area and move them up closer to the center of video area when the screen area cannot the vobsub area.
First of all: Which subtitle renderer are we talking about? Does the problem occur with all subtitle renderers or just with some/one? Which container format? Is this a full DVD with menu and stuff, or a remuxed MKV or something? Some screenshots, optionally a small sample, might be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Attached are the 2 Logs - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-%203Dlogs.zip

Log1: Started 3D Playback initiated correctly but is was "stalled". Waited 30sec then did a Pause/Play and playback commenced correctly.

Log2: Started 3D Playback but it was in SBS mode (and it was "stalled"). Did a Pause/Play and playback commenced.

Tested using the test build in debug mode with the latest nightly from LAV (0.67.0-62).
Thanks. I think the first bug should be fixed in v0.90.3. Not sure about the 2nd. Can you please retry? If it still occurs, could you please create new debug logs with v0.90.3? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsc View Post
There's only one problem I'd like to resolve if possible:
madVR crashes when I try to play an mkv file with certain set of filters and video height in this mkv file is not devidable by 4 (i.e. 1280x718 and so on.
If video height IS devidable by 4, the system works just excellent.

Source and Splitter filters do not matter.
LAV and ffdshow as video decoders filter work Ok.
The problem is with Broadcom Video Decoder.
On the other hand Broadcom Video Decoder works Ok with EVR.
Is the Broadcom decoder publically available, so I could test it myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
From what I've seen Bilateral looks the most natural to me so far with animated content, I've replaced Bicubic 75 AR with it now.
Yes, if it works it's pretty great. It's just that sometimes it fails. But well, I'm not sure how often that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
When trying to play a MVC MKV mux while in a 4K 2D desktop with 3d stereoscopic vision enabled, madVR wont mode shift into 1920x1080 3D mode, which is required for 3d playback if I do the madVR 3d settings of 3d film is OK, but make 2D film not 3D and restore os settings on player exit. I get crashes in madVR or MPC-BE.

If however I turn off these madVR settings and just run with madVR setting of enable 3D, the OS on windows 10 build 11099 does the mode shift from 2D 4K to 3D 1920x1080 on my display ok. And then returns to my 4K 2D desktop Ok.

I still have dramas with 2D playback in a 2D desktop when having nvidia 3d stereoscopic mode enabled as that always crashes, but this is forward progress.
Can you please retry with v0.90.3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo081089 View Post
What is the quality difference between BILINEAR and NNEDI? Because the only way i can play the 4k 10 bit videos is using BLININEAR
What is your display resolution? If you downscale that 4K content to 1080p, anyway, then your chroma upscaling algorithm is not important at all. If your display is 4K, then it might be a different matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
There is no NNEDI downscaling and there is no more NNEDI chroma scaling.
So, are you referring to NNEDI chroma doubling? Would be a bit weird, since this would mean you'd scale to a higher resolution than 4k.
But to answer your question: NNEDI isn't that much better than bilinear. They are both very blurry and aliased.
There is no NNEDI. Please don't confuse NEDI with NNEDI3. Two *totally* different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
For chroma scaling NNEDI3 is not really worth buying a new Graphics card for. Even if bilinear isn't that bad, although there are better options though (bicubic, Jinc, bilateral, SuperChromaRes, adaptive chroma), most of which are a lot faster than NNEDI3. You should probably try and see which ones you can run, and which ones look better.
Agreed.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 18:13   #35484  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.3 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* frame packed 3D: display mode is now always changed to 1080p23
* frame packed 3D: smooth motion FRC is now always off
* 3D: side-by-side quality is improved (proper scaling instead of Bilinear)
* 3D: added top-and-bottom, line alternative and column alternative modes
* 3D: added "swap left / right eye" option
* profile rules: added "3D" boolean variable
* profile rules: added "+", "-", "*", "/", ":" math support
* profile rules: number fields can now be used on both equation sides
Please update to the latest LAV nightly build!! Even if you already have a 3D capable LAV build, please still update to the latest build, thanks.

https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/
Old 18th January 2016, 18:29   #35485  |  Link
rodrigo081089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Is this for chroma scaling? Or do you have a screen bigger than 4k?

For chroma scaling NNEDI3 is not really worth buying a new Graphics card for. Even if bilinear isn't that bad, although there are better options though (bicubic, Jinc, bilateral, SuperChromaRes, adaptive chroma), most of which are a lot faster than NNEDI3. You should probably try and see which ones you can run, and which ones look better.
Iīm gonna try those.

Thanks
rodrigo081089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 18:53   #35486  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Code:
Thanks for that! I'm definitely going to be working that into my profiles when I have a bit more time

By the way, do profile rules use any kind of tolerance for floating point inaccuracy? I don't have time to confirm this now, but I remember having problems before (somewhere around v0.89 when I was setting up more advanced profiles) where simple things like "targetWidth == 720" wouldn't match (but "(targetWidth > 719) and (targetWidth < 721)" would).
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 19:00   #35487  |  Link
bbsc

Quote:
Is the Broadcom decoder publically available, so I could test it myself?
Yes, it's available from their ofsite as a part of driver for their Broadcom CrystalHD - hardware video decoders BCM970012/BCM970015 (I have BCM970015 in my system).
Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to test decoder without the module itself.
Besides, this decoder is known to be far from ideal, but it works for me just fine except the case when video height is not devidable by 4 .
bbsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 19:11   #35488  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
This works fine for only frame packed 3D. If any other 3D mode is used and smooth motion is enabled, video pauses but audio continues.

Quote:
* 3D: added top-and-bottom, line alternative and column alternative modes
It’s good that you have implemented all these methods for compatibility with all kinds of 3D displays.

Quote:
Very interesting.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 19:29   #35489  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Does it only occur with some subtitles? If so, which kind does it occur with and which not? Does it only occur with one subtitle renderer? If so, with which does it occur and with which not? Does it only occur for subtitles rendered in black bars? Do the madVR options matter?

And finally: Why do you want to playback something at 2x speed? I mean, a bug is a bug. But I wonder how important this really is...
Sorry, my bad. Problem persists when I switch madvr with another renderer (custom EVR), so it has nothing to do with madvr. It so far only applies to .srt separate sub files in the same folder. The bug also doesn't affect subs that specify their position in the video frame, ie, ones that cannot be pulled into black bars automatically.

(2x playback is great for TV shows. Put on subs since the audio becomes too fast to follow, finish shows in half the time.)
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 19:48   #35490  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
There is no NNEDI. Please don't confuse NEDI with NNEDI3. Two *totally* different things.
Finally got trapped by the names. Of course they are totally different.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 20:39   #35491  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
profile rules: added "3D" boolean variable
how do I use this? is it like:

if src=3D "1080p23 (3D Profil)"
else "1080p23"
Old 18th January 2016, 20:50   #35492  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
By the way, do profile rules use any kind of tolerance for floating point inaccuracy? I don't have time to confirm this now, but I remember having problems before (somewhere around v0.89 when I was setting up more advanced profiles) where simple things like "targetWidth == 720" wouldn't match (but "(targetWidth > 719) and (targetWidth < 721)" would).
Currently I don't have any specific tolerance code in there, but I would be surprised if a simple thing like "targetWidth == 720" wouldn't work. Does that still go wrong for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsc View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to test decoder without the module itself.
Ouch. Well, I guess we could try fixing this with a debug log. I can't promise anything, though. If the decoder is broken in some way, I don't really want to change my code dramatically to make it work, because that could introduce new issues with other decoders. But maybe we're lucky and a small change can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
This works fine for only frame packed 3D. If any other 3D mode is used and smooth motion is enabled, video pauses but audio continues.
Yeah, need to look into that. For other modes, madVR is not limited to 23p, so for those it might make sense to actually make smooth motion work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
Sorry, my bad. Problem persists when I switch madvr with another renderer (custom EVR), so it has nothing to do with madvr. It so far only applies to .srt separate sub files in the same folder. The bug also doesn't affect subs that specify their position in the video frame, ie, ones that cannot be pulled into black bars automatically.

(2x playback is great for TV shows. Put on subs since the audio becomes too fast to follow, finish shows in half the time.)
Ah, good to hear that it's not my fault.

Quote:
how do I use this? is it like:

if src=3D "1080p23 (3D Profil)"
else "1080p23"
if (3D) "3D Profil" else "2D Profil"
Old 18th January 2016, 20:59   #35493  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
madVR v0.90.3 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* frame packed 3D: display mode is now always changed to 1080p23
https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/
madshi,
not to derail the development and polishing the new 3D features but isn't limiting frame packed 3D to 1080p23 a bit restrictive?
I guess you might already know it but the BD specification also allows 720p50/60 and I do have one such disc
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Of...Blu-ray/17152/
and a few years ago when I watched it in PowerDVD it was way better in 720p60 3D frame packed mode than in 1080p23.
I haven't seen any other disc using 720p50/60 since then but I guess for sports and some action scenes (stereo 3D from GoPro cameras) it might be worth supporting it ... sometime in the future if it's not too much trouble - after all recognizing the stream should be pretty easy.
There were (a couple of years ago when I was doing some research in 3D) also a few 720p DLP projectors that had pretty decent 3D but lacked 1080p23 frame packed support - they had only 720p60 ... but I guess then there will be a problem with the lack of smooth motion ... or the whole frame sequencing for the left/right eyes ... so it might not be worth thinking about them.

I'm very glad and thankful to you and nevcairiel for adding 3D support to our favorite players

I just wish I wasn't so busy lately and I can test it sooner
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 21:03   #35494  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Currently I don't have any specific tolerance code in there, but I would be surprised if a simple thing like "targetWidth == 720" wouldn't work. Does that still go wrong for you?
Yes, I was surprised as well. I can't reproduce it now, or with scalingFactor.x and scalingFactor.y (at least on the video I just tried), so it's probably not worth worrying about unless someone can confirm. I'll let you know if it happens again when I'm trying out the new arithmetic operators
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 21:15   #35495  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
not to derail the development and polishing the new 3D features but isn't limiting frame packed 3D to 1080p23 a bit restrictive?
I guess you might already know it but the BD specification also allows 720p50/60 and I do have one such disc
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Of...Blu-ray/17152/
and a few years ago when I watched it in PowerDVD it was way better in 720p60 3D frame packed mode than in 1080p23.
I haven't seen any other disc using 720p50/60 since then but I guess for sports and some action scenes (stereo 3D from GoPro cameras) it might be worth supporting it ... sometime in the future if it's not too much trouble - after all recognizing the stream should be pretty easy.
There were (a couple of years ago when I was doing some research in 3D) also a few 720p DLP projectors that had pretty decent 3D but lacked 1080p23 frame packed support - they had only 720p60 ... but I guess then there will be a problem with the lack of smooth motion ... or the whole frame sequencing for the left/right eyes ... so it might not be worth thinking about them.
Yes, 1080p23 as the only frame packing format is too restrictive. But when v0.90.0 made so many problems, I decided to concentrate on the most important format first. Once that works reliably, I can add further formats.

Can you send me a sample of that 720p50 3D video (for later)? Ideally the first 100MB of the movie SSIF file, plus the matching clip and playlist file(s) would be great.
Old 18th January 2016, 21:18   #35496  |  Link
Sunset1982

@madshi:

I can confirm that 3D mode switching is working good.

Only problem is, when stereoscophic 3D under nvidia controlpanel is activated, madvr crashes if I start 2D movies while D3D11 is activated in madvr. I can only start 2D movies with D3D9 while beeing able to watch 3D movies without a crash at startup.

This error only happens if stereoscopic 3D is activated under nvidia control panel.

The problem is, if I deactivate it manually and only enable 3D under my OS settings, 3D and 2D movies are working for one time till a 3D movie was started and stereoscopic 3D automatically activates itself in the nv panel.

Last edited by Sunset1982; 18th January 2016 at 21:21.
Sunset1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 21:24   #35497  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:

I would like to test 1080p24 3D mode, cause 1080p23 seems to give me dropped frames every 3 mins. Maybe Nvidias 1080p24 mode is better. With 2D movies I made a custom resolution because the original 1080p23 also made dropped frames every 3 mins. with custom resolution i got it managed to get dropped frames every 4-5 hours.
Old 18th January 2016, 21:33   #35498  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Thanks. I think the first bug should be fixed in v0.90.3. Not sure about the 2nd. Can you please retry? If it still occurs, could you please create new debug logs with v0.90.3? Thanks!
I can confirm both bugs are fixed in v0.90.3! Great Stuff!

Did some more testing and:

- I occasionally get a nvidia display driver stopped responding and has recovered during playback when I move or right click the mouse to go into madVR settings and more often I get a visual effect like when leaving "Exclusive" mode (except I'm not using Exclusive Mode).

- For me it seems to change to the 3D setting Twice, eg Start Playback --> 3D --> Blank --> 3D (and the reverse again when hitting stop)

Do you want any logs of these?

Couple of other notes:
- Works fine with JRiver's Display Rate changer (eg 50hz --> madVR's stuff --> back to 50hz)
- Works fine with JRiver's Video Clock
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 21:38   #35499  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Only problem is, when stereoscophic 3D under nvidia controlpanel is activated, madvr crashes if I start 2D movies while D3D11 is activated in madvr. I can only start 2D movies with D3D9 while beeing able to watch 3D movies without a crash at startup.

This error only happens if stereoscopic 3D is activated under nvidia control panel.
Yes, this is a bug in the NVidia driver.

Quote:
The problem is, if I deactivate it manually and only enable 3D under my OS settings, 3D and 2D movies are working for one time till a 3D movie was started and stereoscopic 3D automatically activates itself in the nv panel.
I don't understand this part. FWIW, from what I can see, the NVidia setting is exactly the same as the OS setting. I think the NVidia checkbox is just a mirror of the OS checkbox.

I think there are 3 possible solutions to the NVidia driver crash problem:

1) Either NVidia fixes the bug.
2) Or you stick to D3D9 mode. There is no disadvantage to it, is there? Other than missing 10bit support.
3) Or you disable the OS & NVidia 3D checkbox. Instead activate all the checkboxes in the madVR 3D settings page, so madVR can activate the 3D OS mode only exactly when playing 3D movies. Or does that not work for you?
Old 18th January 2016, 21:46   #35500  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I occasionally get a nvidia display driver stopped responding and has recovered during playback when I move or right click the mouse to go into madVR settings and more often I get a visual effect like when leaving "Exclusive" mode (except I'm not using Exclusive Mode).
I don't think there's anything I can do about that.

Quote:
For me it seems to change to the 3D setting Twice, eg Start Playback --> 3D --> Blank --> 3D (and the reverse again when hitting stop)

Do you want any logs of these?

Couple of other notes:
- Works fine with JRiver's Display Rate changer (eg 50hz --> madVR's stuff --> back to 50hz)
- Works fine with JRiver's Video Clock
Could the 3D setting changing twice have to do with the JRiver display rate changer?

It's also possible that it's the changing of the display mode + the activation of frame packing which causes the double change. You could create a debug log for that, but I doubt I can do anything about it.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling