Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th February 2016, 21:45   #36021  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu1kamania View Post
I can totally relate to this. My wife hates when I pull up the overlay (I can't get through a movie without checking it), and my i1Display stays plugged in. Though I don't leave it hanging over the TV unless I'm using it.
Actually now that I think about it..

Hey madshi how about a compact OSD? Just showing dropped/delayed frames, render time etc? Something that can be checked during playback that's a little less intrusive.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 22:09   #36022  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
I'm an avid madVR user but I was slightly bemused with all the effort to support 3D, now that it appears that Samsung and LG are about to pull the plug was it and is it really worth the effort for what appears to be a dead format in its current guise ...
It's not dead for those who enjoy it

I'm certainly not buying a display without 3D support, so the recent development is welcome. I can't wait for BDMV/ISO support, which hopefully is still in the making (although that's a LAV development, it's out of Madshi's hands).
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 22:23   #36023  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

so I'm still able to get posterizing with the .8 build:

here's a sample that can easily reproduce the problem on my box, it only happens in FS and it requires forcing the AR to 4.3 in PotP + NNEDI3 doubling + SSIM.

BTW I just realized that it's possible to use NNEDI doubling together with sxbr quad on top hah

All this said it's hard to deny that SSIM is far more effective than any kind of bicubic downscaling duh, but NNEDI3 & SR even with a strength of 1 are extremely sharp all together.....might try my luck adding a very slightly blurring PS script or something as it's pointless feeding an inferior downscaler with an oversharp picture and I'm not willing to make do without SR(because I love what it does to motion blur) and NNEDI3(because it's unmatched for lowres).

What I would really need is softer SR coz even a strength of 1 is über-sharp, if SSIM is not subjective at all being mathematically accurate and all, any chance for softer SR strengths please? sharp doubling + sharp SR + sharp downscaling end up making everything look like a friggin pixar anime =(

Quote:
support 3D, now that it appears that Samsung and LG are about to pull the plug
I thought 3D was dead already tbh but madshi is the only one making decisions towards mVR's dev so be it then. They keep trying to sell us their silly outrageously overpriced glasses, not gunna work duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
OCD ... Um ... uh ... me?
We can all quit anytime, eventually

Last edited by leeperry; 10th February 2016 at 22:26.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 22:54   #36024  |  Link
scollaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
It's not dead for those who enjoy it

I'm certainly not buying a display without 3D support, so the recent development is welcome. I can't wait for BDMV/ISO support, which hopefully is still in the making (although that's a LAV development, it's out of Madshi's hands).
I agree...Thansk to madshi and Nev for implementing 3D. I still enjoy 3D very much and even when I go 4K in the future, the display I buy will have to at least support 1080p 3D too. Since I mostly use projectors and not TV, I'm waiting patiently for 4K projectors to become more mainstream.

Can't wait for 3D iso support from LAV/madVR too

Last edited by scollaco; 10th February 2016 at 23:24.
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 00:13   #36025  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
What I would really need is softer SR coz even a strength of 1 is über-sharp, if SSIM is not subjective at all being mathematically accurate and all, any chance for softer SR strengths please? sharp doubling + sharp SR + sharp downscaling end up making everything look like a friggin pixar anime =(
And to make matters worse I eventually double luma SR on low-res as I got the "after 2X upscaling step" checked so yeah, both luma & chroma SR would seriously need lower strengths please......especially now that I've found out that I can combo 2x NNEDI3 with 4x sxbr hah, need to chew on this

and BTW, I definitely prefer LL for SSIM and don't like the 1.6 gamma option as it does kill picture depth.

Last edited by leeperry; 11th February 2016 at 07:17.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 01:50   #36026  |  Link
Devrim

Anyone else having issues with dragging MPC-HC from screen to screen with the latest MadVR update? When you drag it to another screen now the video freezes and you need to pause and play the video again. Around version 0.90.4 the video would just keep playing.
Devrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 01:50   #36027  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

just a quick question....

is nnedi3 only for dx11 mode?
cause i cant use nnedi3 anymore, nether in chroma upsampling nor in image doubling..

if i change it, the video stops, sound is playing for a bit and black screen, mpchc+madvr crash..

im using dx9 render mode..

greetz
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 02:32   #36028  |  Link
Asmodian

No, NNEDI3 is not restricted to DX11 mode.

However it can cause problems if CUDA or other OpenCL applications are also running due to a bug in Nvidia's drivers.
Old 11th February 2016, 02:42   #36029  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post

I cant use nnedi3 anymore, nether in chroma upsampling nor in image doubling..

if i change it, the video stops, sound is playing for a bit and black screen, mpchc+madvr crash..
Nvidia? Reinstall your drivers with a clean install.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 04:05   #36030  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
I'm an avid madVR user but I was slightly bemused with all the effort to support 3D, now that it appears that Samsung and LG are about to pull the plug was it and is it really worth the effort for what appears to be a dead format in its current guise ...
Yes, I've read about that as well. 3D support beyond frame-packed may not be worth the development time if 3D content is no longer going to be created.

No sense in eliminating support which is already in place.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 08:10   #36031  |  Link
Arm3nian

Posted this in the display calibration thread but no responses.

How will madVR handle UHD bluray? Let's say the color space is Rec. 2020, but the info is limited to DCI-P3, and you're watching it on a sRGB/Rec. 709 display. Will it look normal, and will you need a 3D LUT? What if you're watching the same content on a wide gamut display, that supports >98% DCI-P3. Will you be able to take advantage of the new standard?

I know windows is bad at color management, but will we never move to higher gamut monitors/tv's/projectors for this sole reason? Seems like you must to benefit from the new larger color space and the higher 10 bit color depth.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 11:49   #36032  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
Posted this in the display calibration thread but no responses.

How will madVR handle UHD bluray? Let's say the color space is Rec. 2020, but the info is limited to DCI-P3, and you're watching it on a sRGB/Rec. 709 display. Will it look normal, and will you need a 3D LUT? What if you're watching the same content on a wide gamut display, that supports >98% DCI-P3. Will you be able to take advantage of the new standard?

I know windows is bad at color management, but will we never move to higher gamut monitors/tv's/projectors for this sole reason? Seems like you must to benefit from the new larger color space and the higher 10 bit color depth.
Must have missed this update a while ago...

madVR v0.89.18

* added tone mapping support for HDR content
* added gamut mapping support for HDR BT.2020/DCI-P3 content
* added support for SMPTE 2084 transfer function decoding
* added support for receiving HDR metadata from LAV Video Decoder
* added "maximum display luminance" option to display properties page
* added "HDR" profile variable
* SuperRes now supports being run after every ~2x upscaling step (again)
* improved JVC projector ip control connection reliability
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 17:00   #36033  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Must have missed this update a while ago...

madVR v0.89.18

* added tone mapping support for HDR content
* added gamut mapping support for HDR BT.2020/DCI-P3 content
* added support for SMPTE 2084 transfer function decoding
* added support for receiving HDR metadata from LAV Video Decoder
* added "maximum display luminance" option to display properties page
* added "HDR" profile variable
* SuperRes now supports being run after every ~2x upscaling step (again)
* improved JVC projector ip control connection reliability
This isn't about handling UHD Bluray on HDR displays though, This is about converting HDR content to SDR displays.

Madshi already stated that he'll only be able to implement HDR support when HDR will be supported at GPU/Driver/API level, which won't happen until Arctic Islands next summer.

The good news is that Cyberlink have confirmed they are working on UHD Bluray support for PowerDVD, which means that we'll get some BDXL players able to read the content. From there, everything is possible...
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 17:17   #36034  |  Link
James Freeman

Apparently my i7 3770k (3900 Mhz each core) is no good for UHD with madVR....
GPU Nvidia GTX660 is not used for decoding.

I downloaded THIS nice 4k 10bit HEVC 60fps demo and it stutters even with madVR on Nearest Neighbor on all scalers, and all quality compromise options are on, no dithering, no smooth motion.
The CPU runs maxed out on all cores...
BUT, when I select EVR (Custom) as my video renderer, everything is smooth without dropped frames.

I was expecting madVR to be able to play the top spec of the UHD 4K standard, at least with its lowest settings on a "not so old" PC.
Anyone cares to help me solve this?

Last edited by James Freeman; 11th February 2016 at 17:34.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 17:29   #36035  |  Link
fijam

About HDR support, how is HDR metadata embedded? Is it part of the video track? Or is it containter-dependent? Are there any tools to create/modify/read this metadata?
fijam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 17:41   #36036  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Maybe madVR has some more CPU overhead than EVR, I suppose it would run fine with a 960 with DXVA2/copyback.
Probably you won't be able to play some difficult clips with EVR either.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 18:27   #36037  |  Link
TMDaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I don't think there's anything specific you need to do to enable the LAV DVD subtitle export. Can you create a small sample for me to double check / reproduce this problem on my PC?
I looked into this. It seems there is only an issue when you playback a DVD as a disc. If you open a vob file directly, either on the disc or one ripped to your hard drive, the subtitles are moved, although they are a weird grey colour in this instance. See the screenshots below:

http://i.imgur.com/19DsGV0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ROxICgA.jpg

Do you have it working when playing a DVD back as an actual disc, either inserted into your PC or otherwise?
TMDaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 18:31   #36038  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
And you're 100% sure that this does never ever occur on older madVR builds? Can you please also double check 32bit to make sure the problem is not specific to 64bit?
I can confirm that the crash happens consistently in 32bit and 64bit as of v0.90.8. I can't test older versions since videohelp.com seems to be down, but I'll report on them when it comes back up.

Here's the crash report on v0.90.8 64bit:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...DlSMk5xa2F2Yzg
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 20:04   #36039  |  Link
Anima123

madVR, could you please share with us the difference between your 'tweaked' SSIM algorithms and the 'original' Shiandow's version?
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 21:17   #36040  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Apparently my i7 3770k (3900 Mhz each core) is no good for UHD with madVR....
GPU Nvidia GTX660 is not used for decoding.

I downloaded THIS nice 4k 10bit HEVC 60fps demo and it stutters even with madVR on Nearest Neighbor on all scalers, and all quality compromise options are on, no dithering, no smooth motion.
The CPU runs maxed out on all cores...
BUT, when I select EVR (Custom) as my video renderer, everything is smooth without dropped frames.

I was expecting madVR to be able to play the top spec of the UHD 4K standard, at least with its lowest settings on a "not so old" PC.
a GTX660 is quite old for madvr

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling