Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 31st October 2010, 22:56   #1  |  Link
Itness

How to retain encoder settings data after cutting & rejoining MP4?

I encoded DVD to MP4/x264 using MeGUI, but then I realized that a ten-second intro that should be at beginning of file is instead at the very end (that is the placement in the original VOB file).

So I cut the MP4 into two pieces using mp4box CLI -split-chunk command, and rejoined them (in reverse order, i.e. intro is now at beginning instead of the end) using command "-add part1.mp4 -cat part2.mp4 -new movie.mp4". But now when I open the new mp4 file in MediaInfo, the "encoding settings" are not listed.

Is there any way to extract the encoding settings data from the original file and add it back to the rejoined version, or is there another way to split and rejoin the MP4 file without losing this data?

Last edited by Itness; 31st October 2010 at 22:59.
Itness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 05:54   #2  |  Link
Itness

Well, not sure why I didn't think of it sooner, but I just re-encoded the intro using the same settings as before, then muxed it with the audio from the tiny chunk I clipped from the end of the first attempt, and joined (concatenated) the result with the much bigger chunk (main move minus the intro) and that worked!

It would still be useful to know if there is a way to retain encoder settings data when splitting and rejoining MP4/x264 files for any similar future endeavors.
Itness is offline   Reply With Quote