Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th May 2018, 19:56   #50981  |  Link
gfxnow

Just out of curiosity, what media player does Madshi himself use when testing/using MadVR?
gfxnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 20:04   #50982  |  Link
ajamils

I have following setup
- HTPC (i3, 8gb RAM, Nvidia 1050)
- Yamaha A3070 AVR
- JVC X790r Projector

I recently started using madVR with Kodi and MPC-HC and having a lot of issue playing 4K mkvs with HDR. When I play a file using MPC-HC (with madVR set to pass through HDR and no other settings changed), my projector automatically switches to HDR mode indicating that HDR signal is being received but the whole pictures has dark pink/purple tint on it. As soon as I end playback, everything goes back to normal. If I select Enhanced Video Renderer (Custom Presenter) in MPC-HC, video plays correctly but HDR tag is not passed so no auto switching is done by projector. HDR is turned off in Windows settings (and I am unable to turn it on because when I try to do that, everything goes black and by the time pictures resumes the prompt to confirm selection is gone)

I have also played with setting in madVR to convert HDR to SDR but the results have been less than ideal with more prominent noise and depending on the settings colors ranging for overly saturated to very pale.

I have already tried different HDMI cable and doing a clean install of Nvidia drivers but not much luck.

Separately, I'm having another issue which may or may not be related and that is I cannot set the resolution in Window or Nvidia control panel to 1080p/60. For some reason it keeps getting back to 4K/24. When I try to set the display setting to 1080p/60 the screen goes black and when it comes back I usually have a second or two to press a button to confirm changes otherwise it reverts back to 4k/24 setting. If in case I successfully change the settings it works for sometime and then randomly changes back to 4k/24.

I have checked on the AVR and video is set to "Pass through" on the projector it shows that it is receiving "4K signal". So there is something in the HTPC which keeps switching the resolution/frame rate. For the most part I can live with that setting but some of the programs (like Nvidia Control panel) do not scale even when scaling is set to 300% so they are impossible to use on 120" screen.
Attached Images

Last edited by ajamils; 24th May 2018 at 20:26.
ajamils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 22:47   #50983  |  Link
Koltos

custom mode problem

Hi everyone!

Please someone could help me. I have tv Samsung UE55J6200 which connected to PC by hdmi cabel.

I tried to make right settings for watching movies slightly on 23,976 ghz. But i have problem with custom mode.

My adapter is GTX 770. I heard that NVIDIA has problem with right 24 hz. So in MADvr there are 23 hz mode is active, when on NVIDIA in custom mode is 24hz. Than I tried to optimize settings, watch film for 30-40 minutes than i go to settings and see this:

I picked mode without frame drops and repeats, push Test mode and screen of my TV becomes black. I suppose GPU are not supported right mode.

But why? How can i solve that problem? Someone has it? So how is right to calibrate this?
Koltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 22:59   #50984  |  Link
huhn

a black screen usual means your TV doesn't support the input. you can only try a different combination in hope it works.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 23:26   #50985  |  Link
Koltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a black screen usual means your TV doesn't support the input. you can only try a different combination in hope it works.
So is only way to use mode with repeat frames?
Old 25th May 2018, 01:12   #50986  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
No. Don't listen to foozoor, he is just constantly trolling.
Not this time. Madshi did say he was getting external help to deal with 3dlut stuff I think it was. Speculation is gonna happen in a forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxnow View Post
Just out of curiosity, what media player does Madshi himself use when testing/using MadVR?
mpc-hc most likely I think, I'd rate mpc-be as the better player though.

On another note I was playing with FSE to test out 10bit color and noticed that the composition rate was listed as 60hz even though I had the screen at 24hz.

Last edited by ryrynz; 25th May 2018 at 01:15.
ryrynz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 01:37   #50987  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Not this time. Madshi did say he was getting external help to deal with 3dlut stuff I think it was. Speculation is gonna happen in a forum.
I know what madshi said, he is still using that information to troll.
Old 25th May 2018, 05:27   #50988  |  Link
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
but I would be surprised if you could get one 3DLUT that looks good for both Wonder Woman and the first Harry Potter movie.
I'm getting to old to chase mastering problems.

This is by far the most undesirable aspect of display calibration, even if you manage to understand all of the different aspects of display calibration (there is no button that says, "push here stupid"), you're still at the mercy of people who are supposed to know better, but still **** it up.
Old 25th May 2018, 07:32   #50989  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltos View Post
So is only way to use mode with repeat frames?
i have no clue what your TV accepts and what not.
so yes there is a possibility that you can fix it with a custom refreshrate.
Old 25th May 2018, 09:02   #50990  |  Link
madjock

I had no joy with the custom side of MadVR, if I tried anything else apart from the custom res that I set up in Nvidia that MadVR saw, then I just had a fuzzy screen mostly.

Best I could get it to was 1 Frame Repeat every 38 minutes with Custom res and Nvidia, better if I took some settings down, so just learnt to let that go.

Had to roll back to an earlier driver with Nvidia to get the custom res to stick as have many.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 10:01   #50991  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Hi Guys,

A few pages back I posted about the Club 3D CAC 1080 Display Port 1.4 HDMI 2.0 A (B) Hdr Active displayport to hdmi adapter, and if anyone has bought one, and would like the latest firmware for it, PM me (I am working with the manufacturer on ironing out a few bugs).

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 25th May 2018 at 10:07.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 10:12   #50992  |  Link
Koltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I had no joy with the custom side of MadVR, if I tried anything else apart from the custom res that I set up in Nvidia that MadVR saw, then I just had a fuzzy screen mostly.

Best I could get it to was 1 Frame Repeat every 38 minutes with Custom res and Nvidia, better if I took some settings down, so just learnt to let that go.

Had to roll back to an earlier driver with Nvidia to get the custom res to stick as have many.
Sounds good. To what driver did you roll back?

And I think Nvidia is really working strange in a way of custom mode. One of funny thing, when my hdmi on 60hz I need to enable on my TV black level of hdmi "Low". When it changes on 24hz with MADvr I need to enable black level of hdmi to "Normal". It's so weird that signal of black seems changing because of refresh rate.

Last edited by Koltos; 25th May 2018 at 10:15.
Old 25th May 2018, 10:17   #50993  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I thought it was for his completely new algorithm.
I hope it's not related to color conversion.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 10:38   #50994  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltos View Post
Sounds good. To what driver did you roll back?

And I think Nvidia is really working strange in a way of custom mode. One of funny thing, when my hdmi on 60hz I need to enable on my TV black level of hdmi "Low". When it changes on 24hz with MADvr I need to enable black level of hdmi to "Normal". It's so weird that signal of black seems changing because of refresh rate.
I went back to 390.77.

I then went to Nvidia Control Panel/Customise, changed the Refresh Rate to 24 or 23 in the upper refresh rate box (only allows 2 numbers)

Then go to Timing, select GTF, then select Manual and the GTF settings stay there, then change that refresh rate in lower right to 23.976 and save.

Give that a go and see how you get on. I went from frame drops every X minutes, to frame repeats every 38.

When you start a video it says frame drops every X this then goes to days then jumps over to frame repeats, the gist is there are multiple clocks involved and you will waste more time messing with it and getting nowhere, and apart from being fixated on something I never cared about before I am quite happy.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 10:40   #50995  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
I thought it was for his completely new algorithm.
Yeah, that's right.. The math side of things for that.
ryrynz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 16:12   #50996  |  Link
fhoech

Quote:
True, but I would be surprised if you could get one 3DLUT that looks good for both Wonder Woman and the first Harry Potter movie.
Try target peak = 700 with mastering display peak = 10K.

Quote:
If you donít care about the extra luminance in the highlights I suppose you could use 10k but then it is much darker than passthrough is
The LG 7 series do seem to loose quite some highlight detail though (e.g. the beach in Sony's "Whale in Tonga" demo looks very flat), and this looks to be how they buy the extra brightness.

Quote:
Harry Potter, for example, is very dark with a 3DLUT generated with peak nits set to 10K but looks normal with passthrough.
Target peak shouldn't be 10K. Mastering display peak should probably be 10K for best preservation of highlight detail.

Quote:
It is not a really small change, it is quite significant and much more noticeable than improved hue, etc. Right now a 3DLUT completely ignores the videoís metadata doesnít it?
When using a "process HDR content" 3D LUT, you can override the metadata that is being sent to the display in madVR's HDR settings. I don't know if disabling that checkbox means the movie metadata is passed through.
Old 25th May 2018, 22:00   #50997  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Try target peak = 700 with mastering display peak = 10K.
Yes, this is what I tried. Or 4000 for the mastering display peak. I seem to get best results using the measured peak nits for a video as the mastering display's peak and 700 for target peak. It has a similar brightness as passthrough. At 10K mastering display peak all movies are pretty dark, with a dim "normal" brightness, but highlights do look good.

I would not be surprised if LG was normally pushing the mid-range into the highlights but the image is still too dark with all my HDR content using a 10K 3DLUT.

I did try messing with the metadata options sent to the display but I am not sure they help much, I do not remember a big difference between them. Also I wanted to leave them set to the same values I used when profiling the display.
Old 25th May 2018, 22:18   #50998  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Can you imagine any reason why madVR 0.92.12 may delay video rendering by about 4-6 seconds of blackness after a player starts? The statistics OSD reports about 100 dropped frames and appears not before the video as well; ProcessExplorer reports 0% GPU usage during this delay; EVR CP renders immediately.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 22:23   #50999  |  Link
huhn

what os?
is delay frames until queues are full tickt?
Old 25th May 2018, 22:57   #51000  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Windows 7 SP1

No, the delay option is not checked. Queue sizes are: CPU = 12, GPU = 8 (AMD Phenom-II X6 + Nvidia GTS 450).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling