Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 11th May 2010, 18:58   #1781  |  Link
SamuriHL

Ok, testing Haali with 64 bit MPC-HC and ffdshow, bitstreaming does indeed break pretty nastily. I did not try in 32 bit land as I no longer want to play there. In any case, removing haali restored bitstreaming and I had no problems at that point. What you should do is set up ffdshow to give you a debug log and post the log so we can see what's happening. I got bitstreamed audio from DTS-HD MA from an MKV, but, the video didn't start playing til 10 seconds into it and when it did the audio started breaking up. TrueHD just simply never bitstreamed at all with haali. If absolutely necessary I can throw 32 bit stuff back on and try with that but from what I understand I think it's going to have the same end result. I don't have time right now to do debug logs though.
Old 11th May 2010, 19:53   #1782  |  Link
liquidskin76

I've already pm'd Albain with logs for both Xonar and ATI 5450.

Cheers for testing... was starting to think i was going nuts and thinking it was only me!
liquidskin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 19:59   #1783  |  Link
SamuriHL

No, it doesn't seem to be just you. I had some other testing I needed to get done today, so, I added yours to the list. None of my testing is giving me the results I'm looking for. I'm actually quite displeased right now tbh. This situation was the least of my issues today. However, yes, it should get fixed if possible.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:31   #1784  |  Link
liquidskin76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I got bitstreamed audio from DTS-HD MA from an MKV, but, the video didn't start playing til 10 seconds into it and when it did the audio started breaking up.
Exactly what i see with Haali. TrueHD and other formats bitstream ok.

Last edited by liquidskin76; 12th May 2010 at 13:34.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:24   #1785  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidskin76 View Post
Exactly what i see with Haali. TrueHD and other formats bitstream ok.
TrueHD didn't seem to want to play nice for me but I only tried one m2ts file. Unless there's a reason I'm not going to try again.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:57   #1786  |  Link
Skinleech
A.K.A Mangoat

Has anyone had success bitstreaming on the Xonar with the latest builds of TMT3, and therefore the new Arcsoft audio renderer? Or more to the point, bitstreaming with the .160 version of the renderer, in a different forlder from the one that TMT3 is installed to?

As I posted several pages back, any patch after 161 to TMT3 chnages the renderer drastically, and breaks bitstreaming. I got sick of the Update/cancel dialogue in 160, so updated to 161 as I don't need mkv suport. That totally broke TMT3 so I ended up installing the latest patch (175?).

I'd already backed up a copy of the audio renderer from .160 but no matter what I do, I can't get bitstreaming to work unless the file resides in my installed TMT3 path.

At the moment, I've resorted to setting up 2 batch files that overwrite the audio renderer in the TMT3 folder - one with .160 for MPC to bitstream, and one with the .175 to allow TMT to work - this is less than ideal of course.
Skinleech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 20:25   #1787  |  Link
liquidskin76

I had problems getting bitstreaming to work on my xonar slim with my existing copy of tmt3, and all patches. I could only get it working with the version on the Asus site, v.141 i believe.

Are you on a slim or full height card?
Old 13th May 2010, 21:01   #1788  |  Link
rsd78

Although I'm not trying exactly to bitstream HD audio I thought this would be the appropriate thread to ask the question.

I have a mkv with a dts-ma audio track, however I'm using spdif for audio. Do all DTS-MA tracks have a DTS core or can ffdshow at least play that type of track back via DTS over spdif? When I tried this sample, I got the DTS light to show up but no sound. I tried the same track on another pc but it's only outputting stereo sound and it got audio.

I'm trying to understand if this is a hardware issue on my end, a configuration issue or simply a technical limitation.

Thanks!
rsd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 22:34   #1789  |  Link
liquidskin76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd78 View Post
Although I'm not trying exactly to bitstream HD audio I thought this would be the appropriate thread to ask the question.

I have a mkv with a dts-ma audio track, however I'm using spdif for audio. Do all DTS-MA tracks have a DTS core or can ffdshow at least play that type of track back via DTS over spdif? When I tried this sample, I got the DTS light to show up but no sound. I tried the same track on another pc but it's only outputting stereo sound and it got audio.

I'm trying to understand if this is a hardware issue on my end, a configuration issue or simply a technical limitation.

Thanks!
You should be getting the dts core bitstreamed. I've had issues bitstreaming the core dts using ffdshow on a geforce 9300 hdmi, where i didn't get any audio and my avr reported dts 1.0.

I reported it a while back with logs however i don't think Albain had chance to look at it.

I'll try again over the weekend and post fresh logs.

Cheers
Old 13th May 2010, 23:15   #1790  |  Link
rsd78

Quote:
You should be getting the dts core bitstreamed. I've had issues bitstreaming the core dts using ffdshow on a geforce 9300 hdmi, where i didn't get any audio and my avr reported dts 1.0.

I reported it a while back with logs however i don't think Albain had chance to look at it.

I'll try again over the weekend and post fresh logs.

Cheers
Well just to confirm it isn't the file, I played it in TMT3 and it played the DTS core fine.

So something with ffdshow I guess?
rsd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 08:28   #1791  |  Link
liquidskin76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd78 View Post
Well just to confirm it isn't the file, I played it in TMT3 and it played the DTS core fine.

So something with ffdshow I guess?
That's right.

I'll post new logs for core dts over the weekend if someone doesn't beat me to it.

@Albain,

Would you like me to post the log on the main ffdshow thread instead, so the other devs can look at?

I know you're busy! Plus there's the haali/dts-hd ma problem awaiting your brain power!!

Thanks
Old 14th May 2010, 09:18   #1792  |  Link
Skinleech
A.K.A Mangoat

Quote:
I had problems getting bitstreaming to work on my xonar slim with my existing copy of tmt3, and all patches. I could only get it working with the version on the Asus site, v.141 i believe.

Are you on a slim or full height card?
It's a slim I'm using.

It's just odd that the Arcsoft audio renderer only works when it's in the folder that I installed TMT3 to. If I try to register a copy of the renderer in a different folder I get no audio.

I can understand the renderer itself not working after 161 as it drastically changed to allow ATI bitsreaming, but I can't see why a copy of a working renderer won't work if it's in another folder.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:30   #1793  |  Link
liquidskin76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinleech View Post
It's a slim I'm using.

It's just odd that the Arcsoft audio renderer only works when it's in the folder that I installed TMT3 to. If I try to register a copy of the renderer in a different folder I get no audio.

I can understand the renderer itself not working after 161 as it drastically changed to allow ATI bitsreaming, but I can't see why a copy of a working renderer won't work if it's in another folder.
Maybe it's got associated .dll's that it needs, as the file itself is a .dll, not the usual .ax extension?
Old 14th May 2010, 15:27   #1794  |  Link
Skinleech
A.K.A Mangoat

Quote:
Maybe it's got associated .dll's that it needs, as the file itself is a .dll, not the usual .ax extension?
Now that's a fair point, and something I didn't think of.

Maybe I'll try taking a copy of the entire codec folder and see if I can whittle it down.

Cheers for the idea.
Old 18th May 2010, 04:11   #1795  |  Link
nightfly

Use the "depends.exe" to track down external dependencies for a given file dll (ax).
Old 18th May 2010, 22:16   #1796  |  Link
Skinleech
A.K.A Mangoat

Quote:
Yeah, you're totally right - took a copy of the codec with my 161 renderer and it works fine. Moved the original 175 renderer back to the TMT folder and it works fine.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Use the "depends.exe" to track down external dependencies for a given file dll (ax).
Still need to work on this, it gives me an error when I run it. For 40mb to have a copy of the codec folder it's no big deal.

Good advice though, so thanks for the help.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:08   #1797  |  Link
Skinleech
A.K.A Mangoat

What's the deal with ATI bitstreaming these days?

I've just ordered a 5450 card for a secondary machine, that has no need for bitstreaming, and never really will, but before I install it, I was thinking I'd try it in my HTPC to see how it compares to my on-board GF8300 (mostly with regards to refresh rate settings).

I'm a Xonar user currently, so how many settings will need to change in order to try out the ATI card? Just trying to work out if it'll be a total pain to test it when I'm only concered with video performance at present. It it works out, I'll look at getting something a little higher specced like a 57xx.

Cheers.
Old 19th May 2010, 23:03   #1798  |  Link
zummi

For bitstreaming (DTS-HD + TrueHD) via HDMI i use:

Catalyst 10.4 (latest)
Realtek HDMI audio drivers (latest)
MPC-HC MKV-splitter (MatroskaSplitter.ax)
MPC-HC Audio Renderer (MPCAudioRendererFilter.ax)
FFDshow x64 (latest)

I'm running Windows 7 media center with WMP for .MKV playback and TMT3 for blu-ray ISOs. No audio or video issues at all (ATI 5450 HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V456 -> 47" Philips 47PFL7404 @ 1920x1080@24hz)

By the way, anything higher than Radeon HD5450 will just be a waste of money if you're only using your HTPC for..well...HTPC-tasks.

Last edited by zummi; 19th May 2010 at 23:19.
zummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 09:04   #1799  |  Link
liquidskin76

And for ATI 5xxx bitstreaming, don't forget an EDID Override.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:18   #1800  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

With Catalyst 10.4, the EDID Override is not necessarily needed anymore. It can still improve your expierence in some cases, but AMD/ATI fixed the issue that absolutely required the EDID override.

A note on the 5450.. It is powerful enough to decode up to 1080p at L5.1. However, to achieve this you might have to turn off some of the post-processing tasks. If you use the Enforce Smooth Video Playback options, it'll automatically turn those off. This includes the rather good vector adaptive deinterlacer, which imho, does a terrific job.

The lowest card that can run all post-processing while decoding is the 5670, at least according to the specifications coded into the Catalyst drivers.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 20th May 2010 at 11:23.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote