Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st January 2019, 10:40   #54361  |  Link
madjock

What nVidia drivers are you using ?

Put it in D3D11 and native and Full Screen mode as well and post a screenshot, there is no reason this should not work.

The other GPU should not really matter, If you are plugged into the nVidia card with an HDMI cable then it should be fine, you should be able to disable it in the BIOS somewhere, you could probably do it in device manager as well I would imagine.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 14:49   #54362  |  Link
Dogway

I don't know if it's an issue, on a 1440p, I have for 1080p sources set up the Image Upscaling to NGU Standard (double) and "if any more scaling needs to be done" to Lanczos3 AR, yet the OSD shows me Jinc AR. Tried to toggle some settings but it's pretty much stuck to Jinc AR.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 15:48   #54363  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I got the Martian on 4K HDR, I could especially see the Banding on the Mars Red Sky in the intro sequences of the movie. This is through DXVA native on the 580.

This is on the latest adrenaline driver with 09217 madvr.

I agree it could very well be my Particular TV Computer/ Cable, software, etc,

I'm just at wits end with this, and I know my kitchen computer w/ 1060 does 4KHDR just fine, So.. My patience has been exceeded..
The Martian is supposed to have some banding in the sky. This is well known and is why this disc is often used to test debanding solutions on TVs.

Last edited by Warner306; 21st January 2019 at 15:51.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 15:50   #54364  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
I don't know if it's an issue, on a 1440p, I have for 1080p sources set up the Image Upscaling to NGU Standard (double) and "if any more scaling needs to be done" to Lanczos3 AR, yet the OSD shows me Jinc AR. Tried to toggle some settings but it's pretty much stuck to Jinc AR.
It sounds like image doubling isn't active. There is no upscaling after doubling 1080p -> 1440p, only image downscaling.

Set activate doubling to "...only if any upscaling is needed."
Old 21st January 2019, 16:02   #54365  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It sounds like image doubling isn't active. There is no upscaling after doubling 1080p -> 1440p, only image downscaling.

Set activate doubling to "...only if any upscaling is needed."
mmmhhh I understand, I thought that "if any more scaling needs to be done" setting was a fallback of "activate doubling... only if scaling factor is 2.0x or bigger". So do I have to set this rule (2.0x or bigger) explicitly in the rules box? I don't want luma doubling for small upscales.
Old 21st January 2019, 16:07   #54366  |  Link
Warner306

If you set it to 2.0x, image doubling wouldn't activate and would fallback to Jinc. If you want another upscaler, create a special profile for 1080p content.
Old 21st January 2019, 16:11   #54367  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The Martian is supposed to have some banding in the sky. This is well known and is why this disc is often used to test debanding solutions on TVs.
isn't it the other way around the sky in the movie is know to produce banding with bad processing that doesn't mean only a Tv with debanding can show it without major banding.

AFAIK only sony has an extra option for debanding.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 16:16   #54368  |  Link
Warner306

No, I'm pretty sure every TV shows some banding in certain portions of that movie, but some are far worse than others. Many TV manufacturers now include debanding and denoising filters in their TVs.
Old 21st January 2019, 16:27   #54369  |  Link
huhn

interesting so these test are done with active post processing like denoising that's present on TV for like 15 years.

if the Tv with less banding use post processing debanding to fix the issue. which is a risky i now a BD where even debanding low in madVR is remving a lot of details.

this is about HDR too right? so there is so many ways to create banding just with bad processing...
Old 21st January 2019, 16:59   #54370  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
interesting so these test are done with active post processing like denoising that's present on TV for like 15 years.

if the Tv with less banding use post processing debanding to fix the issue. which is a risky i now a BD where even debanding low in madVR is remving a lot of details.

this is about HDR too right? so there is so many ways to create banding just with bad processing...
Somebody kill me, I'm never going to get Greatiest image...
Old 21st January 2019, 17:54   #54371  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

HDTV Test is the YouTube channel that uses The Martian most often. The denoising and debanding filters are often combined under the same setting. This year, LG is separating the two based on the feedback that denoising removes too much image detail. With very few exceptions, most calibrators advise to disable these filters.
Old 21st January 2019, 18:02   #54372  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
isn't it the other way around the sky in the movie is know to produce banding with bad processing that doesn't mean only a Tv with debanding can show it without major banding.
I watch big-budget SDR Blu-rays on a ~4000:1 display and I keep madVR's debanding enabled at all times, otherwise I regularly get scenes where things very obviously look like crap. I don't know if that's just because of personal sensitivity, Blu-Ray production chains being screwed up, or if that's a fundamental format limitation because I'm watching a 8-bit undithered source on a >1000:1 display. (I strongly suspect it's the latter. Hopefully with 10-bit sources I will not have to keep that debander enabled any longer.)
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 18:16   #54373  |  Link
huhn

BD are clearly dithered to 8 bit.

not saying all are but they clearly are dithered.

the case where madVR deband low goes wrong very rare anyway.
Old 21st January 2019, 18:35   #54374  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
BD are clearly dithered to 8 bit.

not saying all are but they clearly are dithered.
Interesting. I thought dithering was not used when encoding to a lossy format such as H.264 because it would kill the compression efficiency? Maybe I just had bad luck with the Blu-Rays I've been watching.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 18:45   #54375  |  Link
huhn

the lossy encoding will do dmg to it but with typical BD bitrates you can encode it. adding noise is even or was even used to trick and stop the encoder from blocking banding but not sure if this was done in professional cases.

feel free to post a short sample.
Old 21st January 2019, 21:59   #54376  |  Link
Dogway

madVR has no nearest neighbor upscaling right. I thought that for some 720p technical/tutorial videos (screen captures) quality stands better than bloating it with antialiasing filters.
Old 21st January 2019, 23:43   #54377  |  Link
Asmodian

I would disagree, NGU works quite well for that content.

If you do need bigger original pixels for some reason you can enable Nearest Neighbor by setting keyboard shortcuts for it. There is a "set to Nearest Neighbor" option for chroma upscaling, image upscaling, and image downscaling.
Old 21st January 2019, 23:53   #54378  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Somebody kill me, I'm never going to get Greatiest image...
weve all been there mate, its really easy to get caught up in all of this hoping to find PQ nirvana.

The RX 580 is a good card for the money right now and drivers are stable and reliable for 8bit/10bit HDR/3D and 23,976 playback - stick with it a while.
Old 21st January 2019, 23:59   #54379  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
weve all been there mate, its really easy to get caught up in all of this hoping to find PQ nirvana.

The RX 580 is a good card for the money right now and drivers are stable and reliable for 8bit/10bit HDR/3D and 23,976 playback - stick with it a while.

But huhn be like, Buy 2080TI .. NGU .. the future is now !!
Old 22nd January 2019, 00:53   #54380  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I would disagree, NGU works quite well for that content.

If you do need bigger original pixels for some reason you can enable Nearest Neighbor by setting keyboard shortcuts for it. There is a "set to Nearest Neighbor" option for chroma upscaling, image upscaling, and image downscaling.
Thank you, that will work. NGU at 40cm of a 27" monitor looks like warped plastic, no offense to NGU I use for movies and everything else but for tutorials or such specially 720p (multiple of 1440p) works nice, crisp untouched video.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling