Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 31st January 2014, 12:10   #1  |  Link
Music Fan

What tools to copy Hd-dvd in 2014 ?

Hi,
I discovered lately the Hd-dvd format buying few tens at very good price in 2012.
Now I'd like to copy them on hard drive with my Xbox Hd-dvd player (and probably make AVCHD or Blu-ray with their content) but most of topics about that subject are quite old.
What is the latest method to do this ?

I use AnyDvd for decrypting and for the rest I made research and found 2 programs for EVO demuxing ; eac3to (optionally with a GUI named HdBrStream Extractor) and EVOdemux. vc1conv seems important when EVOdemux is used to remove the pulldown flag because EVOdemux does not remove it.
Does it mean eac3to also removes this flag ? If yes I guess vc1conv is not important when demuxing is done with eac3to.

I was told HdBrStreamExtractor was not enough to demux all streams and that ClownBD should be used for DolbyTrueHD (and only for it). Is it still relevant ?

I tried to transfer HVDVD_TS folder (decrypted by AnyDvd) onto a hard drive (by a simple drag and drop) but it stopped because of "cyclic redundancy", like with some dvd's.
I was not very surprised because this Hd-dvd can't be played entirely on my Toshiba XE1 player, giving the Error Code 408bc509 (this error is know and seems to be due to a kind of rotting ).
EVOdemux has also problems with this Hd-dvd. It doesn't crash but can't go further than a certain point.
Is there a solution to this ?

Is there anything else to know about Hd-dvd decrypting and copy ?
Thanks
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 12:24   #2  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I seem to remember using MakeMKV in the past. And DVDFab Passkey provides the ability to drag entire EVO files onto your HDD...
Old 31st January 2014, 12:33   #3  |  Link
Music Fan

Thanks, do you know if DVDFab Passkey is still Hd-dvd compatible ? On their website, they only speak about Dvd and Blu-ray.
Old 31st January 2014, 12:42   #4  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

It would seem so: -

Old 31st January 2014, 18:14   #5  |  Link
Music Fan

Cool. Anyway I have AnyDvd, I guess they do the same job with Hd-dvd.
Old 31st January 2014, 18:46   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Read the HD DVD-pertinent info in the sticky by "QuadcoreHD" at:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137151

setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 21:11   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

@SeeMoreDigital

Hi!

You say,"I seem to remember using MakeMKV in the past."

As I recall, MakeMKV was only able to handle the simpler HD-DVD structures - and MakeMKV's HD-DVD's capabilities have not been enhanced or updated for at least a couple of years.
Old 31st January 2014, 21:30   #8  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi!

Read the HD DVD-pertinent info in the sticky by "QuadcoreHD" at:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137151

Thanks but this short tutorial is quite simple and does not answer my questions.

Quote:
@SeeMoreDigital

Hi!

As I recall, MakeMKV was only able to handle the simpler HD-DVD structures - and MakeMKV's HD-DVD's capabilities have not been enhanced or updated for at least a couple of years.
How to know which Hd-dvd's can be processed by MakeMKV ? Where is the limit between a simple and a complex structure ?
Old 31st January 2014, 23:18   #9  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
@SeeMoreDigital

Hi!

If you think about it logically, MakeMKV is only be able to offer you 'main movie' back-ups, because the .MKV container does not support 'full' Blu-ray' disc or 'DVD' disc back-ups...

Everything that you require is there... Such as AVC or VC-1 video. Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus audio, chapter positions and subtitles

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 31st January 2014 at 23:26.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 00:00   #10  |  Link
Music Fan

Does MakeMKV remove the pulldown flag in vc1 streams ?
Old 1st February 2014, 00:00   #11  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
If you think about it logically, MakeMKV is only be able to offer you 'main movie' back-ups, because the .MKV container does not support 'full' Blu-ray' disc...
Actually, MakeMKV is quite capable of making FULL backups of many, if not most, Blu-ray discs...
Old 1st February 2014, 01:14   #12  |  Link
Stereodude

I've used ClownBD to turn a few HD-DVDs into Blu-Ray discs. You only get the main movie (no menu), but it's dead simple and easy. I don't recall having any issues with any audio type other than EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus). The only reason why DD+ is a problem is that Blu-Ray doesn't support it.

Last edited by Stereodude; 1st February 2014 at 01:17.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 11:35   #13  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:

Actually, MakeMKV is quite capable of making FULL backups of many, if not most, Blu-ray discs...
For me, a 'full disc' back-up should include fully accessible and navigational menus. Can MakeMKV offer this in the MKV container?

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 1st February 2014 at 11:37.
Old 1st February 2014, 13:13   #14  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

MakeMKV can also copy a decrypted Blu-ray structure onto your HDD, which is a "full" backup. It doesn't turn it into MKV then, because as you noted MKV cannot represent the menus.
Old 1st February 2014, 15:05   #15  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:

But what is the relevance of that to copy HD-DVDs in 2014? Can it make a FULL backup with working menu that ends up in Blu-Ray format from an HD-DVD? If not MakeMKV doesn't offer him anything that AnyDVD HD doesn't do already.
Old 1st February 2014, 15:44   #16  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

With regard to converting HD-DVD to Blu-ray compliant (M2TS) files it can be quite tricky to work with the Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus audio streams.

Originally I backed up all of my HD-DVD's to the Blu-ray file structure using tools such as EVOdemux, UsEac3To and TSmuxer. I then used ImgBurn to make them into BRD.ISO files.

Having my movies stored as .ISO files was fine for a few years until I bought an Oppo media player and some Smart TV's, because none of these devices support playback of .iso files. So I've now re-muxed them to the .MKV container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
Hi,
I tried to transfer HVDVD_TS folder (decrypted by AnyDvd) onto a hard drive (by a simple drag and drop) but it stopped because of "cyclic redundancy", like with some dvd's.
I was not very surprised because this Hd-dvd can't be played entirely on my Toshiba XE1 player, giving the Error Code 408bc509 (this error is know and seems to be due to a kind of rotting ).
My HD-DVD/DVD hybrid disc of Superman Returns de-laminated from the centre of the disc. I could only back-up part of the disc

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 1st February 2014 at 15:52.
Old 1st February 2014, 16:08   #17  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
With regard to converting HD-DVD to Blu-ray compliant (M2TS) files it can be quite tricky to work with the Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus audio streams.
It's pretty much point and click with ClownBD. For TrueHD it will create the missing AC3 "core" that Blu-ray needs that's not on the HD-DVD. DD+ you either decode it to .wav or convert it to standard AC3.
Old 1st February 2014, 16:15   #18  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
It's pretty much point and click with ClownBD. For TrueHD it will create the missing AC3 "core" that Blu-ray needs that's not on the HD-DVD...
That does indeed sound simple. I used UsEac3To to mux the missing AC3 core into the TrueHD stream...

EDIT: The weird thing is. I seem to remember reading that Dolby TrueHD audio was 'mandatory' for HD-DVD. But like I mentioned earlier, I have a few disc's that don't include it!

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 1st February 2014 at 16:19.
Old 1st February 2014, 17:04   #19  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
EDIT: The weird thing is. I seem to remember reading that Dolby TrueHD audio was 'mandatory' for HD-DVD. But like I mentioned earlier, I have a few disc's that don't include it!
I thought only DD+ was mandatory.
Old 1st February 2014, 18:40   #20  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
I guess it means DD+ is not Blu-ray/AVCHD compliant.
I believe it can be converted to dd @ 640 kbps which is Blu-ray/AVCHD compliant (I mean the AVCHD created by multiAVCHD, not sure about the real AVCHD format which is more restricted).

Quote:
Originally I backed up all of my HD-DVD's to the Blu-ray file structure using tools such as EVOdemux, UsEac3To and TSmuxer. I then used ImgBurn to make them into BRD.ISO files.
What's better between EVOdemux and UsEac3To ? I still don't know what to choose, especially for the pulldown flag problem with VC1.

Quote:
Having my movies stored as .ISO files was fine for a few years until I bought an Oppo media player and some Smart TV's, because none of these devices support playback of .iso files. So I've now re-muxed them to the .MKV container.
There is another solution which works with Oppo and Sony players (and maybe others) : AVCHD on Hard drive or USB key. You can create this with multiAVCHD ; choose PS3 for solid media when exporting the project, and tick split m2ts in 4000 MB parts in options (if it's for Fat32).
Then put the AVCHD folder on hdd or usb key. It allows menus, pop-up menus and several titles (movie and bonus) in one folder, as if you played an iso.

Quote:
My HD-DVD/DVD hybrid disc of Superman Returns de-laminated from the centre of the disc. I could only back-up part of the disc
If you have or find a picture of this, I'm curious to see it. I also have this movie, I should verify its condition.

I could copy some movies on a hard drive (entire HVDVD_TS folder decrypted by AnyDvd) including Matrix Revolutions but neither Matrix nor Matrix Reloaded, while they are in the same box.

Last edited by Music Fan; 1st February 2014 at 18:46.