Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 22nd December 2001, 03:50   #1  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

New DivX 4.12 crashing

Every time I try to use the new DivX codec(4.12) in VirtualDub it crashes and gives a debug screen all about the divx.dll so I know it has something to do with the codec. DivX 4.11 worked fine. I have fast recompress on and it doesn't matter what source type I use or what mode(1 pass, 2-pass) i use. It just crashes.

I am running:

600MHz Athlon(Slot-A non-thunderbird)
192MB RAM
EPOX Motherboard with VIA KX133 chipset w/latest VIA 4-in-1
15GB HD
Savage 4 16MB Video

I attached both of the crash reports in a text file. It gives two every time it crashes.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 04:13   #2  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

It only happens when I am converting from a DivX 4 AVI to a DivX 4 AVI. I removed 4.11 and tried again and I get the same crash. What's happening? Is this just a bad installation or a major bug? I have read about people using DivX 4 to re-encode their movies so I would think it is possible.
Old 23rd December 2001, 03:11   #3  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

I am only aware of crashing in 1.4.7 and that was with 4.11 and was an issue with VD. This is the first report of crashing with 3.12... what version are you using?

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2001, 03:36   #4  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

I am using VirtualDub 1.4.7 with DivX 4.12.

What versions of VirtualDub will do this and where can I find an older version if necessary?
Old 2nd January 2002, 07:45   #5  |  Link
jwhite

I am having similar problems. I am using W2K. I happens with VirtualDub 1.4.7 and 1.4.8 with Divx 4.11 and 4.12. Earlier Divx's (4.0, 4.01 and 4.02) do not have a problem. It has happened for me since moving to a Pentium 4. I went to a Pentium 4 specifically to get the extra speed in Divx 4.11 and above. Kinda ironic huh!

I search a bunch of sites and found a workaround. In the Divx dialog box where you can select Faster/Fast/Medium/Slow/Slowest the Faster and Fast will work fine and Medium and below will not.

My usual was to do a 1 Pass/ Slowest so it always showed up. I changed to Fast and it works, but quality is not as good.

Hope this helps until VDUB and DIVX can get back in sync.

Jay
Old 2nd January 2002, 19:16   #6  |  Link
jejoenje

4.12 = problem, 4.01 = fine, 3.11 = fine

Hullo. Just registered especially for this topic.

I had <i>exactly</i> the same problem with DivX 4.12. I also got the crash info Spyder talked about. Also VDub 1.4.7.
My guess was that it was the codec itself, as <u>both mpeg2avi PX3 0.1.5 and a prog called QuickEditor also crashed</u> when I tried to use 4.12. The old divx 3.11 worked fine, and I even tried to wipe 4.12 and install and earlier version, to no avail.

I use: AMD K6-2 400 mhz 128 mb, running Win98 (not updated).
In the past I have already (many times) succesfully encoded with DivX 4.x, I think it was 4.01 or 02. Confirmation there that this is a problem with the newer codecs.

Last week I had just reinstalled my machine, so when I was completely stuck (ie i NEED 4.x codec) I flashed the whole machine again, and when Win98 was back up I started anew with the old 4.01 codec. Which has worked fine up to now.

Of course Divx4 is Divx4 but the whole point of installing a newer divx version was keeping track of the changes. In other words.. i would still like to use 4.12 AND use the slow/slowest settings.

Anyone had any luck with that yet?

Last edited by jejoenje; 2nd January 2002 at 19:28.
jejoenje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 22:38   #7  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

As most of you have noticed this was introduced AFTER VirtualDub 1.4.7 was released. The only thing I can recommend is to revert back to an older version of VD as I have been told the DARC would look into it but it seems the issue is VD and not the codec. That is based upon the VD crash info ppl have provided us with.

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 23:03   #8  |  Link
chi

@jejoenje

how exactly did mpeg2avi crash? just asking because i experience some problems at the end of the 1st pass....seems like it hangs for a long time and then comes back somehow...

----------------------------
simple.frontend
gui for mpeg2avi with
besweet support
http://www.world-free.com/chi
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 02:22   #9  |  Link
jejoenje

Chi -->

to be very honest with you, I'm not exactly sure.. I know it's sloppy but I've been very busy the last few days..

I think I got it by using single-pass! Maybe that was exactly the problem. I seem to remember 4.x defaults to single pass after installation, and I also seem to remember I didn't adapt the setting before testing.

On the crashing itself, I think it just dumped an empty avi file to the harddisk, and then fatal errored (is that a verb? ) Windows.
(I.e. crashed and shut itself down.)
In other words, there wasn't much I could do, like wait or something.. and as I'm running an sub MegHz processor, I'm used to waiting...

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get my hands on an older version of Vdub?

tell me if you need to know more

greets
jejoenje
Old 3rd January 2002, 02:40   #10  |  Link
Captain_Nipple

What about the newer version of VDub 1.4.8
Now I never had that issue but maybe it is worth a look.
Good Luck

Captain.
Captain_Nipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 12:47   #11  |  Link
jejoenje

Am I right to conclude that the one thing we all have incommon (anyone, the ones with the crashing 4.14 ) is that we are all running the VIA chipset? I know you do, Spyder. And I know I do too.

Some one over at the Divx.com forums suggested something about this:

http://www.divx.com/forums/viewtopic...=23653&forum=6

And, Nipple, about the newer Vdub - I think I gave that one a shot already. I don't think it worked. But I'll try that one again when I got the time..
Old 3rd January 2002, 19:59   #12  |  Link
jpl

K6 + 4.1x = crash

ATTN: Beta Boy

As I posted in the DivX forums here is some info that I received regarding the crashes with 4.1x versions of the codec on K6 class CPU's.

If you have K6 class CPU the problem with crashes during encoding seem to be more fundamental. The code is calling for an instruction that AMD never implemented. See below for a reply from the author of Virtual Dub in response to the crashes.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please feel free to forward this on to the DivX developers or onto the DivX forum.

This is not a bug in VirtualDub, nor is it a problem with your motherboard. The crash resulted from the DivX 4.12 driver attempting to use an FCOMIP instruction, which was first added by Intel to the Pentium Pro. AMD did not add it to their CPUs until the Athlon, however, so your K6-3 does not support it and fired an Illegal Instruction exception. This is not related to the MMX, SSE, or SSE2 instruction sets. Interestingly enough, to the best of my knowledge Visual C++ 6.0 cannot generate FCOMIP, so either Intel C++ was used or someone hand-coded this function.
--
Avery Lee http://www.virtualdub.org
The latest version of VirtualDub is V1.4.7 (build 13130).
jpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2002, 02:17   #13  |  Link
jejoenje

so it IS the DivX codec after all.
Which is nasty news for all AMD K6 users out there!
I think the same problem also occurred for Athlon users?

Okay, where we now are I see only 3 possible solutions :

1) wait for a new codec version which may or may not have a workaround...

2) use DivX 4.01 which works fine on my K6-2 as I type..

3) all AMD K6 / Athlon users get a new processor.. which might not be a bad idea in my case anyway, but still....

@JPL : have you already send Avery Lee's reply to some one in the DivX Networks? Might be quite important that as many people as possible complain about this, it just might help..
Old 4th January 2002, 08:46   #14  |  Link
chi

@ jejoenje

i don't know if i can agree with that... on my machine, 4.12 is not crashing but hanging. i also experience this only in 2-pass mode with long conversions (whole movies).
i'm using my m2a gui which enables me to do both passes without bothering me about any input after the thing is started. when converting a long file (maybe > 1h) then m2a doesn't finish the first pass immediately, but is waiting for about 60 minutes or something.
if i cancel this, the second pass starts and averything works fine.
sounds a little bit like the gordianknot0.22 + divx4.12 2-pass issue...

btw, i'm using a k7/tbird@700 on an asus k7m board with VIA/AMD chipset...
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2002, 14:37   #15  |  Link
jpl

4.1x crashes on K6 CPU's

jejoenje: I posted my response in several of the divx forums over the last 2 weeks and also sent in a bug report to DivX.com with Avery Lee's reply.

chi: I think that you are having a different problem.

The K6 problem that I am speaking of occurs immediately on start of encoding. I tried VDub 1.3c, 1.4d, 1.4.5, 1.4.7 and 1.4.8 and TMPGEnc, DivX 4.02, 4.11, 4.12 and the only way anything worked was with DivX 4.02.
jpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2002, 00:30   #16  |  Link
jejoenje

The problem I had was also Win98 hanging on the moment VDub or whatever program seems to call DivX functions.

OK, I think I'll report the bug too.. didn't get round to it yet, but i'll do it soon... holidays, need to encode A LOT..

About the 'crashing': are you saying it just hangs, but still continues the writing of the log file?
And the second pass was ok?

Last edited by jejoenje; 5th January 2002 at 00:33.
Old 5th January 2002, 09:30   #17  |  Link
Teegedeck
Moderator, Ex(viD)-Mascot

Win2K

Are you sure this isn't a problem of sub-Ghz-processors in general, perhaps combined with Win2K? I had the most serious crashes when I used DivX 4.11 on my Celeron 4.11 with Win2K. Can't tell about DivX 4.12 because I felt it was time to switch over to another codec for good...
Teegedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2002, 22:58   #18  |  Link
jejoenje

nope, I'm running Win 98... that's not it.
And as I yet to hear from any non-AMD user that has the same problem, I really think it's AMD related. And the info on the FCOMIP or whatever instruction from Avery Lee seemed clear enough..