Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 10th April 2009, 13:30   #2021  |  Link
Mtz

Press Ctrl+R and go to filters.

Regarding subtitles, can be added some settings to set the desired font? And maybe the position. I know this can be made using SSA subitles, but most used subtitles are SRT.

enjoy,
Mtz
Old 11th April 2009, 07:01   #2022  |  Link
Ruriko

I don't have the subtitle file. How can I extract the subtitle from the mkv?
Old 11th April 2009, 15:15   #2023  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Press Ctrl+R and go to filters.

Regarding subtitles, can be added some settings to set the desired font? And maybe the position. I know this can be made using SSA subitles, but most used subtitles are SRT.

enjoy,
Mtz
Post your request in the feature request tracker on megui project page on sourceforge. thanx.
Old 11th April 2009, 15:17   #2024  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruriko View Post
I don't have the subtitle file. How can I extract the subtitle from the mkv?
using the forum search function.
you, know, there is also a newbie section...
btw, ill make your life easier. search for MKVToolnix and MKVExtract.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:09   #2025  |  Link
Eric B

After some months/years without encoding, I've updated MeGUI by using x264.
What is the proper thread for improvement ideas? I've seen the "feature request" topic is closed: It would be good to update the first message of this topic consequently!

So I have the following suggestions to enhance the performance a little bit.

1) Configuration / default use of workers: since the video encoders are multi threaded but the rest are mainly not, I've set all video tasks to "worker1" and all the rest to "worker2": it seems to me the best optimization. What do you think? It would be good to be able to do so automatically, i.e., when a multi core CPU is detected, having 2 workers per default, set all video tasks to the main worker, and all other tasks to a 2nd worker.

2) In a similar way, I have 2 physical HDD in my PC, and try to use them as far as I can. I make all tasks "cross" HDD, e.g. setting one as source and the other as destination, thus one disk is used to read, the other to write. We could imagine to have 2 folders to configure, and when one is used as source, the other is taken per default as destination (instead of the same folder which causes read&write in the same disk, and thus slowing down this disk).

3) back to the threading handling, what is the purpose of the "pause" button in the queue or worker window? It seems to have to functionality! I'd like to have a real pause which could pause the encoding process so that the CPU is not used anymore. Do the codec / x264 CLI support such a feature?

4) Tools/Chapter Creator: would it be possible to have a more comprehensive tool which takes the DVD source as input? I am currently using "Chapter Grabber" which is quite powerfull. I'll ask Emp3r0r if he could brings his "chapter grabber" to MeGUI...
Old 14th April 2009, 14:18   #2026  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

the feature requests tracker on the megui project page.
Old 14th April 2009, 20:12   #2027  |  Link
Eric B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
the feature requests tracker on the megui project page.
ok, thanks. Doom9 should put this link in the first message of the topic...

Anyway, before putting new features, could you comment my suggestions, whether it makes sense or not...
Old 15th April 2009, 15:34   #2028  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

1) We dont know if (certain) encoders will be optimized for multiple cores/CPUs in the future. So, it's a hard choice.

2) you can already change your output dir. however, moving files temp files to a temp location (configurable by the user) could be an option

3) we all whish to have a real pause...

4) i like the idea

Last edited by Sharktooth; 17th April 2009 at 16:37.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:30   #2029  |  Link
masken
uhm... ?

I'd like to request a 1-click install solution for meGUI, with everything needed to encode provided with the installer, or through menus in the application.

It's simply too tiresome searching for 5-6 different apps, installa them, copy DLL files and messing with things to get it working.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:05   #2030  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

There is an installer from SF website...
Old 17th April 2009, 16:40   #2031  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by masken View Post
I'd like to request a 1-click install solution for meGUI, with everything needed to encode provided with the installer, or through menus in the application.

It's simply too tiresome searching for 5-6 different apps, installa them, copy DLL files and messing with things to get it working.
this is not the place for feature requests.
however, megui depends on avisynth and directshow filters.
DS filters are usually needed also for playing back the source or encoded files while avisynth is the ONLY real megui dependency and if it doesnt find it on your system it offers to open a webpage so you can painlessly download it.
Old 20th April 2009, 00:54   #2032  |  Link
therealjoeblow

Interface Issue

Hi,

I have my HTPC setup with the general display font custom sized to 150% instead of the default "Normal Size (96DPI)" so that it's more easily readable from a distance when displayed on a 50" plasma @ 1920x1080 pixels.

The MeGUI main interface doesn't like this though, most of it is OK, but some of the fields are 'squashed' and illegible and almost inaccessible because of this.

I was wondering if the interface could be made more "large font compatible/tolerant" if possible?

Many thanks!
Old 20th April 2009, 21:33   #2033  |  Link
samepaul

I was wonder if anyone uses this program. I'm surprised people do.
It spends more that 10 minutes (maybe more I had no patience to wait any longer and killed it in favor of shorter clip) in opening single mkv file .. and for what? Just for building AviSynth script with only "DirectShowSource"? You must be kidding.
Old 20th April 2009, 22:35   #2034  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

samepaul, your system's directshow filters are obviously broken. This is no more MeGUI's fault than a hardware failure would be. Start over with Haali and ffdshow and clean out your Avisynth plugins folder and see if anything improves. Also post an image of the graph generated by graphedit or graphstudio to render the file, as this will allow everyone else to figure out which filter(s) don't work.
Old 21st April 2009, 00:57   #2035  |  Link
samepaul

I doubt it is obvious to you, but there is something much more obvious to me. There is bug in MeGUI. Or a behavior that looks to me as a bug.
Nothing broken in my "system's directshow filters". As proof of my word - I have no problems with the source video itself. MPC and Graphstudio open it in milliseconds.
Manually created AVIS plays good as well. Besides, I'm dealing with video encoding for years (even here I'm registered longer than you ) and know how looks broken directshow system.
Moreover I performed a small debugging.
My guess is that once you open media file (via File-Open-Other Video files), MeGUI ignores the input file type and tries to treat it as AVIS script anyway.
This explains why I see in Filemonitor that MeGUI just linearly scans input file. And only after scanning whole file it brings "AviSynth script creator" dialog.

After searching on forum I found instruction on opening files like "go to Tools -> AviSynth script creator". Indeed this way it opens faster, though still takes long time to open 30GB BD remux stored in MKV. Mediaplayer opens manual AVIS much (i mean MUCH) faster.
But even after reaching this AVIS creator, one move of slider in Preview window brings MeGUI again to coma of file scanning. I guess this is already side-effect of DirectShowSource without "fps". As for me it is bug as well. Don't see real reason for configuring cropping and resize via AviSynth. There is button "preview in player" - use it! Configure cropping, resizing in interactive mode via DirectShow. Then preview created script in player.

Last edited by samepaul; 21st April 2009 at 04:44.
Old 21st April 2009, 02:32   #2036  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

So it isn't actually a bug, you're just irritated that an Avisynth-based application needs to make use of Avisynth
Old 21st April 2009, 02:55   #2037  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

@samepaul: you dont like a software? dont use it. no one is forcing you to use megui. plus, the sources are available (megui is an opensource software), so if you think you're so smart, you know what to do. otherwise, dont waste your and our time.
Old 21st April 2009, 04:38   #2038  |  Link
samepaul

Inspector.Gadget No, it's actually you don't read what I've written. Some people need to read twice before they begin to understand, so maybe you should give another try. Or just ignore me. Anyway you haven't said anything useful till now and I doubt you will.

Sharktooth It's not question who is smart and who isn't. If you paid attention I don't judge here anybody and especially authors of megui. I encountered bug (unnecessary file scanning) and suggested performance improvement (use directx directly instead of avisynth frameserving which is proven to be slow and have seeking problem). Take it in account or not - it's authors call. I don't really care as you correctly noted I use another software. Namely MediaCoder. It's not perfect (otherwise I wouldn't bother with MeGUI) but still fits better my needs.
As for taking a part in development... I'm C programmer and don't really like .NET
Old 21st April 2009, 07:09   #2039  |  Link
Patrick Bateman

I keep getting this error message when I try to load an index file into the Avisynth script creator. I never had any problem before but every index file I have gives me this now, including ones I just created and ones that I've used before with no problem. The only thing I can think of that changed was the 4/20 updates. Can anyone help me with this? Note; I use the NV/CUDA indexing programs from Neuron. -- I get the message whether the CUVID server is running or not.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 21st April 2009 at 07:16.
Old 21st April 2009, 08:29   #2040  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

you're running on windows 7 ? where is located CUVIDServer.exe on your system ?
Closed Thread