Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th April 2015, 22:37   #28981  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Obviously 64bit has better decoding, but using ReClock is quite important for those who want perfect sound+video sync.., which is only possible with ReClock, which is and always will be x86 (32bit)...
nope reclock is not nneded for this but not this tapic again...

Quote:
I use the latest MPC-HC 1.7.8 x86, ReClock 1.8.8.4 x86, madVR 0.87.21 (reset older version to default and properly uninstalled, then installed new version and reset to defaults) and the latest LAV Filters 0.64. My LAV Video filter uses nVidia CUVID (for all 9 boxes underneath), Enabled Adaptive H/W Interlacing for 25/30p Films with High Quality Processing. The rest is default.

I use high quality settings:
- Rec.709 3DLUT (ArgyllCMS 1.7.0 non-buggy Beta dev. release + dispcalGUI 2.9.0.7 Beta)
- Reduce Banding Artifacts = enabled for lower quality videos
- Chroma Upscaling = NNEDI3 64 neurons
- Image Doubling and Quadrupling (both Luma and Chroma) = "Always, If Upscaling Needed" = 32 neurons for each of 4 boxes
- Image Upscaling = Jinc 3 tap + "Activate Anti-Ringing Filter"
- Image Downsaling = Catmull-Rom with "Activate Anti-Ringing Filter" & "Scaling in Linear Light"
- Smooth Motion = Off
- Dithering = Error Diffusion - Option 1, Use Colored Noise = NOT selected/ticked, Change Dither for Every Frame = NOT selected/ticked
- Trade Quality for Performance = all boxes are UN-ticked
- The rest = default (aside from FSE)

Framerate drops occur in H.264 .MKV films recorded @ 1080p with high quality. My rig specs are in my sig (3770K @ 4.8Ghz, GTX 980 4GB, 1080p monitor, SSD, Windows 8.1).

Of course I would get rid of framerate drop by reducing NNEDI3 from 64 neurons to 32 neurons, but that is not a solution because when FSE is not enabled, no frames are dropped with NNEDI3 set to 64 neurons.

Its no big deal, but I am just curious. I figured FSE would actually be better as far frame dropping goes...
rendertimes? FSE shouldn't add noticeable rendertimes.
and there are some questionable settings but this is not a madVR setup guide.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 23:53   #28982  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
how to frame interoplate a blended frame? of cause you can use it with SVP but for a simple reason. SVP runs before SM.

i know and i use it on my gaming PC. but plasma user report visible ghosting problems. and i'm still very possive that blended frames create problems for TV frame interpolation.
Can't those users just turn off motion interpolation on their tv? Seems to me there are more people who dislike things like SVP than favor it.

Quote:
and how do you do 25 hz -> 24 hz ? reclock is simple not useless. i told other "you could use SM at 60 HZ and not reclock" but if people have reason to use reclock or problems with SM i simple have nothing to add there.
i'm 99% sure i can find the SM using display in a blind test and that in a short time.
Well you don't need to convert 25fps to 24 if using SM. I do see some valid uses for reclock, but they are very niche. You need a display that supports custom refresh rates, SM somehow doesn't work for you, and your tv has interpolation that cannot be turned off. Reclock also creates static when I use it with my external dac.

The TV in my family room supports 24hz, but I prefer to keep it at 60hz and use SM. Why? Because it's annoying to configure filter settings and seek in the video if your screen is at 24hz. The mouse lag is ridiculous.

Quote:
nope reclock is not nneded for this but not this tapic again...
Agreed, I don't know where they get ideas like this from. You get no frame repeats/drops if you use SM. If anything it is cleaner because the video does not have to be slowed down or sped up and the audio is untouched.

Reclock uses the crystal on your motherboard, and your monitor uses the crystal in it's pcb. Anyone who thinks these crystals are 100% stable, precise, and fully match all the other clocks needs to read some more.

Last edited by Arm3nian; 15th April 2015 at 23:58.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 00:04   #28983  |  Link
agustin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
Agreed, I don't know where they get ideas like this from. You get no frame repeats/drops if you use SM. If anything it is cleaner because the video does not have to be slowed down or sped up and the audio is untouched.
SM blends frames, why would you want to blend frames when reclock achieves "perfect sync" without doing that?

SM's main purpose is to eliminate judder on refresh rate mismatch, and does a great job at that.
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 00:35   #28984  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin9 View Post
SM blends frames, why would you want to blend frames when reclock achieves "perfect sync" without doing that?

SM's main purpose is to eliminate judder on refresh rate mismatch, and does a great job at that.
Did you read any of the previous posts? I already covered advantages and disadvantages.

It was said the ONLY way to get perfect playback is reclock. SM achieves the same goal of reclock. One blends, one speeds up and slows down the video. Neither is perfect playback. As I mentioned, it's not possible to get 100% perfect sync, just subjectively close.
Old 16th April 2015, 00:39   #28985  |  Link
agustin9

Quote:
Did you read any of the previous posts? I already covered advantages and disadvantages.

It was said the ONLY way to get perfect playback is reclock. SM achieves the same goal of reclock. One blends, one speeds up and slows down the video. Neither is perfect playback. As I mentioned, it's not possible to get 100% perfect sync, just subjectively close.
Ok, sorry, I agree with that.
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 00:53   #28986  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Can't those users just turn off motion interpolation on their tv? Seems to me there are more people who dislike things like SVP than favor it.
doesn't matter people use it. even if i'm none of them. it's like vivid mode people use stuff like this.
i don't know why people see issue with SM but i don't think they lie. it simple doesn't work for everyone on every display.

Quote:
SM kind of changes the speed of the video.
Old 16th April 2015, 02:05   #28987  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
doesn't matter people use it. even if i'm none of them. it's like vivid mode people use stuff like this.
i don't know why people see issue with SM but i don't think they lie. it simple doesn't work for everyone on every display.
Well my original point was that reclock is not required for smooth playback. Madvr can accomplish what reclock does for the video (SM) and the mpcbe audio renderer can accomplish what reclock does as an audio renderer (wasapi and sample rate and bit depth conversion). Reclock was required for these two things in the past, but is not required anymore in most setups. The op wanted to use a 64bit setup so reclock would not work. But he stated SM doesn't work either, not sure why. He has a modern display (4k) and therefore probably has modern hardware.
Old 16th April 2015, 02:56   #28988  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Well my original point was that reclock is not required for smooth playback. Madvr can accomplish what reclock does for the video (SM) and the mpcbe audio renderer can accomplish what reclock does as an audio renderer (wasapi and sample rate and bit depth conversion). Reclock was required for these two things in the past, but is not required anymore in most setups. The op wanted to use a 64bit setup so reclock would not work. But he stated SM doesn't work either, not sure why. He has a modern display (4k) and therefore probably has modern hardware.
you are misunderstanding reclock resampling. MPC-BE audiorenderer can't do the same. simply resampling from 48 khz to 96 khz doesn't matter that's not what reclock makes it so special even the windows mixer can do that with diectsound same for bit deep. you can't do a slow down for pal sources reclock can do that.

reclock is changing the audio speed while SM is changing the video speed choice your own evil.
Old 16th April 2015, 03:23   #28989  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
you are misunderstanding reclock resampling. MPC-BE audiorenderer can't do the same. simply resampling from 48 khz to 96 khz doesn't matter that's not what reclock makes it so special even the windows mixer can do that with diectsound same for bit deep. you can't do a slow down for pal sources reclock can do that.

reclock is changing the audio speed while SM is changing the video speed choice your own evil.
Dude you posted this earlier today and I replied...

No resampling of audio by a few hz is needed when using SM. The sound is untouched, because the speed of the video playback is untouched. You can use any sample rate 48khz, 96khz, etc, no post processing is needed, the audio syncs with the video.

Adjusting the sample rate is not a feature of reclock, it is a basic requirement to make the program usable. If you speed up the video and leave the audio untouched, there will be sync issues. Reclock resamples the audio to sync it with the video, then adjusts the pitch.

You don't need to slow down a 25fps source to 24fps when using SM... you needed to do this if your monitor did not support a multiple of 25hz but supported a multiple of 24hz. You don't need to worry about that when using SM.

Reclock was used in the past for its main features, but also as a good audio renderer. If you had a track that had 192khz 24bit audio, but your sound card only supported 96khz 16bit, you could not use wasapi and had to go through the garbage bin known as the windows mixer. Now the audio renderers in popular players like mpcbe can downsample if required when used with kernel streaming.

Back to my original point: Madvr can accomplish smooth playback like reclock, and the mpcbe audio renderer can accomplish all of the playback features that reclock had when simply used as an audio renderer.

Last edited by Arm3nian; 16th April 2015 at 03:27.
Old 16th April 2015, 03:36   #28990  |  Link
huhn

this is my last word about the pal speed issue

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/palspeedup/index.html

madVR SM can't fix this.
Old 16th April 2015, 04:17   #28991  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
this is my last word about the pal speed issue

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/palspeedup/index.html

madVR SM can't fix this.
Read the first sentence in that link. "Issue caused by conversion". SM doesn't convert anything, alter speed of video and audio, or alter pitch. It removes judder caused by mismatch frame rate. SM doesn't care if you are watching 24 or 25fps on a 60hz screen, there are no issues with pitch.

Also to your previous post about plasmas: Plasmas flicker at such a lower refresh rate (24hz). I'd rather have the "supposed" ghosting you said some have mentioned rather than screen flicker.
Old 16th April 2015, 07:26   #28992  |  Link
MokrySedeS
I am the one who knocks

Goddammit, Arm3nian... give up already. You just don't get it.
Go to that link and read it again. All of it!
Then, if you still think that huhn is wrong, read it again. And again, until you realise what he's talking about.
Stop dragging this, it's pointless and off-topic, and it just wastes everyones time, especially madshi's.

Apologies to everyone, I just couldn't stand him anymore... I'll shut up now.
MokrySedeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 07:26   #28993  |  Link
JarrettH

Is "use colored noise" (under dithering) popular around here? I noticed it adds a slight speckling of colour to the overall image. It's not good or bad, almost imperceptible like film grain.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 08:18   #28994  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Is "use colored noise" (under dithering) popular around here? I noticed it adds a slight speckling of colour to the overall image. It's not good or bad, almost imperceptible like film grain.
It may affect some setups more than others, it's the default so yeah it's quite popular. TBH It's nearly impossible to see a difference on my plasma even when I'm 1 foot away from it, never mind 3 meters..

Set it to whatever you prefer as with just about everything.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 08:25   #28995  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Back when we were testing the various dithering algorithms, it did seem like more people preferred color vs luma-only dithering noise. Though there was a group of us, including myself, who really disliked the idea of intentionally adding color noise to otherwise pristine chroma, and would rather have the light texture added by luma-only dithering. It's all a trade-off. The type of person who likes grainy movies and hates the appearance of grain-free denoised movies, would likely prefer luma-only dithering. The type of person who likes when their movies have (and keep) a smooth denoised appearance, would likely prefer color dithering.

Personally I like:
HD: Error Diffusion, Option 1, Luma, Static
SD: Error Diffusion, Option 2, Luma, Dynamic
Performance: Ordered Dithering, Luma, Dynamic
Other: Random Dithering, Color, Dynamic

The most popular option favored by others for color dithering I believe was:
Error Diffusion, Option 2, Color, Dynamic
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 08:34   #28996  |  Link
sexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Maybe you have everything you need but I would still need a Zoom Player 64 build, a Reclock 64 build and an Avisynth 64 build. But yes, getting closer but I doubt I will ever see all this...

madshi, thanks for fixing the playbook freeze bug in 87.20, so far so good :-)
well about reclock x64 , you might as well pm the dev as ive told others over at kodi forums , make your voice be heard and you shall receive , i recon , heres the reclock thread btw

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread...Clock-1-8-8-4&

you might have noticed your not the only one that wants this, about avisynth x64 , well ive thought ffdshow already had this included? if not you should contact its dev as well , now about

zoomplayer , ive never used it since ive always thought potplayer is the to go player out there , correct me if im wrong , and yet again this is a thing about dev contact , so do it instead of giving up so easily , if i wouldve just given up years ago about madvr integration into dsplayer build of kodi we wouldve never seen it happen , and alot of other things , protip you have to speak up or forget about it
sexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 08:36   #28997  |  Link
sexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Thanks madshi for the 64 bit build. It works perfectly with the test build of MPC-HC 64 provided by kasper93.

If we had a 64 bit version of ReClock too, we would completely get rid of 32 bit players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
IMHO reclock is essential with the people with "24" multiple refresh rates (24hz,48hz,72hz etc.) So a x64 build of reclock will be very well welcomed.
again guys , post and pm this to the dev over at reclock forums as ive posted the link too already
sexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 08:45   #28998  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexus View Post
again guys , post and pm this to the dev over at reclock forums as ive posted the link too already
Will do
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 10:50   #28999  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@madshi: Any plans to update madTestPatternSource for x64?
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 10:58   #29000  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Personally I like:
HD: Error Diffusion, Option 1
SD: Error Diffusion, Option 2
HD: ED2
SD: ED1
ED1 is just sharp so I use it for low res video. ED2 looks most transparent and neutral to me. Didn't play with the options yet.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling