Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th October 2017, 22:06   #46661  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I think in win 10 there is a HDR option in the OS. You might be able to use that as a workaround fix although I have no way to confirm if thats the case.
I cant see that option but i also have no 4k HDR capable screen. So probably its not your case but ive tested a HDR HEVC 10 bit 2160 downscaled to 1080p and BT.2020 was used and then played normal 8bit avc and returned to BT.709.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Almost wanted to say "never going to happen", but you know, never say never. But still, it seems very unlikely right now that I would ever do that.

We can only hope
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 00:12   #46662  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Maybe we can all decide on the amount of RCA and make a low, medium, and high preset for them similar to debanding.

That would be a lot easier than a scale of 1-10, or is it 12 now?

What would be more useful for RCA would be to have madvr detect MPEG-2 and apply RCA medium, while if it detects AVC it applies low, and probably none for HEVC since it's not needed.

That would of course be with the ON setting, where it would detect and apply RCA to remove compression artifacts. That's the only logical way to process the image in my opinion, as just having one setting for all codecs is essentially useless since HEVC doesn't need it at all. It's mainly MPEG-2 that needs to be deblocked. I guess MPEG-4 needs it somewhat too, but to varying degrees.

I don't know...that's just my 2 cents.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 00:40   #46663  |  Link
omw2h

Quote:
Have you tried "linear light" on vs off for the new AS? I think with "linear light" off it's not so much different to the previous AS for Anime content? If you don't like the slightly stronger grain sharpening, you could add "reduce compression artifacts" strength 2, which would probably clean up the grain in Anime content? Please understand that I don't want a million different algorithm variants. That would only confuse the normal user. Furthermore, maintaining a lot of different algorithm versions is extra work for me.
Understandable, if it has to go, it has to go. I have no shortage of sharpening options and artefact reduction compromises so it's fine. Yes, i've tried, i perfer no linear light, it helps just a bit.
However i'm sincerely seeing AS being different from from one another (where the line is drawn and attention to fine detail):
original - https://postimg.org/image/yq0j0scpr/
newASnoLL 2.0 - https://postimg.org/image/dt4aw6c4v/
oldAS 2.0 - https://postimg.org/image/9786nut6n/
I dont see that for example in LumaSharpen and the newAS (just a lot more ringing in LumaSharpen):
AS 1.0 - https://postimg.org/image/uosmmoz7j/
LS 4.0 - https://postimg.org/image/hxegg92b3/
omw2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 00:55   #46664  |  Link
jkauff

A warning for Win 10 users. The Fall Creators Update installation blew away my madVR custom resolutions. I can recreate them, or revert to last night's backup, but it's a bit of a pain either way.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 01:22   #46665  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Ah, I understand now. Have you seen Neo-XP's and ABDO's posts, though? They don't seem to like the new option. So I'm not really sure what to do now.
Looking again the levels 1-2 with DRTD it actually does very little, I'm happy on sticking with original setting of 1 or 2. Surprisingly 2 with DRTD almost looks softer than without it? I'm not fussed what happens here now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
I'd suggest if you really want to remove the choice for this option to create low strength presets without it and high strength presets with it. If you think it's a good idea, let me know and I will do more.
Well, I think it's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omw2h View Post
However i'm sincerely seeing AS being different from from one another (where the line is drawn and attention to fine detail):
Yeah I saw that earlier too, the old AS darkens lines wonderfully, really helps with lower res anime. Since I'm using Avisynth on the lower res stuff I can just use Hysteria to darken lines a touch, but maybe madshi can add a line darkener to madVR himself sometime to help the situation.

Last edited by ryrynz; 18th October 2017 at 01:30.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 03:06   #46666  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
A warning for Win 10 users. The Fall Creators Update installation blew away my madVR custom resolutions. I can recreate them, or revert to last night's backup, but it's a bit of a pain either way.
It probably blew away your display driver altogether. It certainly removed the Nvidia drivers for me (replacing them with some version from windows update). After a big update like this I suggest running Display Driver Uninstaller to do a clean reinstall of the latest drivers.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 03:14   #46667  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
It probably blew away your display driver altogether. It certainly removed the Nvidia drivers for me (replacing them with some version from windows update). After a big update like this I suggest running Display Driver Uninstaller to do a clean reinstall of the latest drivers.
I did that, but when I tried to add my custom resolutions, I once again got the dreaded "GPU has rejected..." message.

I ended up restoring my backup, so everything's back to the way it was.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 03:54   #46668  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Maybe we can all decide on the amount of RCA and make a low, medium, and high preset for them similar to debanding.

That would be a lot easier than a scale of 1-10, or is it 12 now?
if you play around with it you will very fast see huge difference between each elvel which amesk them useful well maybe not 10 plus.
Quote:
What would be more useful for RCA would be to have madvr detect MPEG-2 and apply RCA medium, while if it detects AVC it applies low, and probably none for HEVC since it's not needed.

That would of course be with the ON setting, where it would detect and apply RCA to remove compression artifacts. That's the only logical way to process the image in my opinion, as just having one setting for all codecs is essentially useless since HEVC doesn't need it at all. It's mainly MPEG-2 that needs to be deblocked. I guess MPEG-4 needs it somewhat too, but to varying degrees.
that's not how this works. a HEVC source can be easily in need of this. while it is even possible to encode in mpeg2 without the need of these features.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 04:33   #46669  |  Link
austonrush

AS Feedback) So I've spent some time with all these new algorithms. Lets start off with AS. I prefer the current AS for real life content. The old one was unusable. I don't like a lot of it, I'm running with a .2 strength on my 720p profile. I do not like AS with LL, softens/blurs the image ever so slightly.

The old AS was better for anime as it helped enhance dark lines and edges, however it was horrible for non anime. I never used it in the past as I don't watch much anime so, my preference is the new one.

Madashi you could always keep both, one as the anime AS and one as the real life AS, lol. That would probably make some users here happy.

I'd suggest removing LL I don't see any use for it.

Last edited by austonrush; 18th October 2017 at 05:02.
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 04:34   #46670  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I did that, but when I tried to add my custom resolutions, I once again got the dreaded "GPU has rejected..." message.
You should leave some feedback in the hub regarding this. Maybe it's best if MS asks what do do here during the update process.
Old 18th October 2017, 04:54   #46671  |  Link
austonrush

Madashi, RCC is great, thanks for all the new updates!

RCC Feedback) My default strength for RCC is 2 for 720, 1 for 1080 and 3 for decent SD content. Anime guys may hate RCC but for real life content it is awesome! I'm not sure why it goes up to a strength of 12, if you need to go that far you might as well be watching a vhs, lol.

I'm currently NOT using the don't reduce texture feature, maybe it can be tweaked slightly. With it on it does help preserve detail but, it also preserves artifacts.

To compensate for the slight loss of detail I'm running RCA with AS and for the first time since you released NGU I've turned enhance detail back on at a very limited .1 - .2 strength.

I notice no difference when checking the chroma option

RCA Feedback) I'm only using RCA for crappy SD sources. I'm not sure why you would use it at a strength of 1 or 2 as it totally destroys a good source and 1-2 is not effective enough on a BAD source. For poor quality videos I'm currently using it at a strength of 3 or above.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:01   #46672  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
Well that sucks, so what your saying is MS uninstalls nvidia and then re-installs a fresh clean version? What the hell, lol. I'll wait to see if anyone else is reporting this issue before I upgrade.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:46   #46673  |  Link
Nyago123

I can't get HDR switching to work in 1709 after upgrading from 1703 + nVidia 387.92 (was working last night). I tried a clean re-install of the last nVidia driver (385.69) and made sure my settings were nVidia color, but still doesn't work.

I'm going to rollback to 1703 unless someone here can confirm it's working for them.
Nyago123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 06:21   #46674  |  Link
x7007

It seems nvidia 3D Wizard is working now after upgrading windows 10 Fall Creators.

If that follow what I did is open PowerDVD 17 with 3D movie, it said your 3D hardware only supports the viewing of 3D movies in full screen mode. so I forgot 3D was not enabled, I get inside nvidia control panel and enabled 3D , it opened 3D wizard and didn't crash while powerdvd was still opened. so that's it. maybe it was Windows issue eventually lol..
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 06:27   #46675  |  Link
Magik Mark

Madshi,

For film sources, I think AS linear light can be removed. From my ISF calibrated display, it boosts the contrast and could cause eye strain on prolong staring at the screen.
Old 18th October 2017, 06:36   #46676  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyago123 View Post
I can't get HDR switching to work in 1709 after upgrading from 1703 + nVidia 387.92 (was working last night). I tried a clean re-install of the last nVidia driver (385.69) and made sure my settings were nVidia color, but still doesn't work.

I'm going to rollback to 1703 unless someone here can confirm it's working for them.
Try 385.41 - working here with the fall update (1709) for HDR (windows HDR slider off, and entire chain set to Full).

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 18th October 2017 at 09:32.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 06:39   #46677  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by austonrush View Post
RCA Feedback) I'm only using RCA for crappy SD sources. I'm not sure why you would use it at a strength of 1 or 2 as it totally destroys a good source and 1-2 is not effective enough on a BAD source. For poor quality videos I'm currently using it at a strength of 3 or above.
There are sources between good and bad.. I find 1 and 2 to be likely the only strengths I'll ever use.
Old 18th October 2017, 07:03   #46678  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Yes, I suppose I can add a setting between 2 and 3.
I don't really see >6 being too useful so how about middle-ground steps between the current 1-6 to go 1-12 please? Or go 1-24 if you must provide highest strengths to Vaporsynth users.

Quote:
The "don't reduce texture detail" option might not be properly named. That's what the option *tries* to do, but it also results in some compression artifacts not being reduced. So it has advantages and disadvantages.
Yeah I got that but unchecking blurs the picture IME, even @1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
What would be more useful for RCA would be to have madvr detect MPEG-2
While we're at it, I kinda wish mVR would use proper chroma alignment for MPEG-1 but I guess it's very low priority so until then I gotta force MPEG-1 to use ffdshow and output RGB32
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 07:27   #46679  |  Link
Blackwalker

- change the nvidia power setting to adaptive, same thing...shuttering
- checking GPU-Z if the PCIe speed is at least x16 2 yes, but when play all gpu ram is used, maybe this is the problem?
- reduced the render queue to 6 and 4, same thing...shuttering

if someone confirm that my hardware is ok, i'll continue to try, if no my hardware need an upgrade!
maybe "EVGA GTX1060 Scheda Grafica da 6 GB" + "new CPU and motherboard"!

PS:
On my tv, lg 65b6v i set "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour" option
when HTPC start is already in HDR mode.
When mpc-hc start playing UHD HDR video, using madvr in window mode it say "HDR", but when i double click and use full windows/exclusive mode, the "HDR" vanish, go out, bye bye.....this is normal?
I try with madvr, native, copy back, etcc...same thing.
If i dont use madvr, then HDR is used in full windows/exclusive mode too!

Same with powerdvd.

suggestions?
thx all for your help

Last edited by Blackwalker; 18th October 2017 at 08:10.
Blackwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 08:03   #46680  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
that's not how this works. a HEVC source can be easily in need of this. while it is even possible to encode in mpeg2 without the need of these features.
The type of blocking its designed for is not quite common with HEVC. HEVC is more likely to blur on low bitrate encodes then block. Of course you could transcode a low-quality mpeg2 source to HEVC, but you only have yourself to blame if you do that =p

Quote:
Originally Posted by austonrush View Post
Well that sucks, so what your saying is MS uninstalls nvidia and then re-installs a fresh clean version? What the hell, lol. I'll wait to see if anyone else is reporting this issue before I upgrade.
That is not exactly unexpected when installing a OS upgrade like the FCU.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 18th October 2017 at 08:16.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling