Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 13th March 2011, 11:24   #13221  |  Link
tal.aloni

madshi! we're not worthy!

very interesting, thanks for the info!
tal.aloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 11:32   #13222  |  Link
fastplayer

@tal.aloni or any other dev:
Can you revert rev3358 and put the AviSynth users out of their misery?
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 11:35   #13223  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
Can you revert rev3358 and put the AviSynth users out of their misery?
soon.
Old 13th March 2011, 11:43   #13224  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Can you even embed a preset in an MKV?
theoretically yes, however, you have to add support for it for both the muxer (mkvtoolnix for example), and the demuxer (haali media splitter for example), and making ffdshow accept a preset in such a way sounds troublesome.
what's worse, it will benefit only a handful of users, I honestly don't see any reason to dedicate resources to such feature.
Old 13th March 2011, 11:47   #13225  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal.aloni View Post
madshi! we're not worthy!

Quote:
very interesting, thanks for the info!
FWIW, with NVidia you can do this:

(1) DxvaNv12Surface.LockRect(READ_ONLY);

I've measured up to 500fps with newer GPUs. With ATI you can do this:

(1) StretchRect(DxvaNv12Surface, RgbRenderTargetTexture));
(2) GetRenderTargetData(RgbRenderTargetTexture)

That's quick enough for real time playback. Do not try to do "DxvaNv12Surface.LockRect(READ_ONLY)", you'll not get more than 5fps even with the latest ATI GPUs.

One problem with the suggested ATI solution is that you'll get the video data stretched without dithering (0 = black; 255 = white). So there may be banding artifacts. Also you probably can't influence which transfer matrix is used for the YCbCr -> RGB conversion. You can work around the banding problem by StretchRect-ing to a 10bit or 16bit RGB texture. Then you can stretch that back and dither it down to 8bit manually via CPU. Of course that costs performance (download + CPU).
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 12:32   #13226  |  Link
dann23

Quote:
dann23, while there are indeed several improvements that comes to mind, most of those will only be beneficial to a small subset of users.
for instance, when I tested graphic drivers to find out which supports DXVA hardware alpha blending (for subtiltes), my Radeon 4550 didn't support it at all, and my nVidia geforce 9300 onboard GPU offered very limited support (16 colors only - if I remember correctly), so I saw no point investing time there.

other improvements, like copying the decoded frame back to main memory and performing full post-processing fast enough to handle 24 1080p frames per second, require hardware architecture that can only be found on very recent systems, and those systems can decode H.264 without DXVA assistance.

Is there any specific improvement that you're interested in?
Regards,
Tal
I'm not interedted in something special. Just speed improvement. Last time I remember that you said about some work on improve performance when using subtitles.
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 14:35   #13227  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann23 View Post
Last time I remember that you said about some work on improve performance when using subtitles.
now that you're mentioning it, there is one thing that we do that is not very efficient: we create an entire black frame at the same resolution as the video and then blend the subtitles to it, and then scan this frame pixel by pixel and for each pixel that has been modified we append it to the decoded frame.

it would be better to limit the scan range somehow (MPC-HC does a similar thing with their subtitle rendering), or write a new subtitle filter that is "write only" and can work directly on DXVA decoded surface.
both would improve performance somewhat (not sure how much), but any of them would require a lot of coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann23 View Post
I'm not interedted in something special. Just speed improvement.
is it so bad when subtitles are on? which CPU?

Regards,
Tal
Old 13th March 2011, 14:49   #13228  |  Link
tal.aloni

'test' is not recognized as an internal or external command

regarding my build issues, apparently test.exe is part of msys,
and can be found in XhmikosR's MSYS/MinGW package here:
http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/index.php?folder=dG9vbHM=
(thanks XhmikosR!)

however, I believe we should avoid another dependency, and I hope we can make do without test.exe.

Last edited by tal.aloni; 13th March 2011 at 14:58.
Old 13th March 2011, 16:30   #13229  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Quick note for anybody upgrading to recent builds of ffdshow-tryouts, Haali splitter, and MPC-HC as I did: the culprit in lack of audio or stuttery decoding for MKV files with DTS audio, noticeably using ffdshow's libdts or libavcodec but not the MPC internal DTS decoder, is the 03/03/2011 version of Haali's splitter. Switching to the internal MKV splitter (and thus probably Gabest's external MKV splitter too) provides trouble-free decoding with both ffdshow decoders. It's a shame Haali has a track record of issuing updates that break various important functions of his splitter, but I hope this information will pre-empt some incorrect bug reports directed to ffdshow.

Edit: The above report is not particularly helpful as I was later able to play the previously problematic files even using the latest rev. of Haali's splitter without issue. Please see my immediate next post in this thread.

Last edited by Inspector.Gadget; 13th March 2011 at 23:39.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 18:35   #13230  |  Link
dann23

Quote:
now that you're mentioning it, there is one thing that we do that is not very efficient: we create an entire black frame at the same resolution as the video and then blend the subtitles to it, and then scan this frame pixel by pixel and for each pixel that has been modified we append it to the decoded frame.

it would be better to limit the scan range somehow (MPC-HC does a similar thing with their subtitle rendering), or write a new subtitle filter that is "write only" and can work directly on DXVA decoded surface.
both would improve performance somewhat (not sure how much), but any of them would require a lot of coding.

is it so bad when subtitles are on? which CPU?

Regards,
Tal
CPU is athlon x2 6400+
But what I tried to achieve is to watch movies using dxva and the cpu to stay at the lowest power state. At this state the cooler stops and it's complete silence The video card has a passive cooler so the main problem is the CPU
Right now it's almost perfect. The cooler starts from time to time and it's annoying.
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 20:19   #13231  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
Quick note for anybody upgrading to recent builds of ffdshow-tryouts, Haali splitter, and MPC-HC as I did: the culprit in lack of audio or stuttery decoding for MKV files with DTS audio, noticeably using ffdshow's libdts or libavcodec but not the MPC internal DTS decoder, is the 03/03/2011 version of Haali's splitter. Switching to the internal MKV splitter (and thus probably Gabest's external MKV splitter too) provides trouble-free decoding with both ffdshow decoders. It's a shame Haali has a track record of issuing updates that break various important functions of his splitter, but I hope this information will pre-empt some incorrect bug reports directed to ffdshow.
So if I understand correctly, the previous version of Haali did not have this problem?
Old 13th March 2011, 20:32   #13232  |  Link
fastplayer

I can't reproduce this at all. DTS in MKV plays just fine.
Old 13th March 2011, 20:48   #13233  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Quote:
So if I understand correctly, the previous version of Haali did not have this problem?
That's correct as far as my experience. I noticed about a week ago, using then-current 32-bit SVN versions of MPC-HC and ffdshow and the latest Haali splitter, that libavcodec wasn't decoding a 6.1 DTS-ES stream and producing any audible output; switching to libdts fixed this but IIRC broke decoding of normal 5.1 DTS streams. Thereafter, and now using rev. 3721, neither libavcodec nor libdts would decode a DTS-ES stream without major dropped video frames and audio stuttering but the internal MPC-HC decoder would apparently do so without issue. Now, using ffdshow rev 3721 and MPC-HC 1.5.1.2903 with the internal Matroska splitter enabled, I have no trouble. Haali still results in many dropped frames and audio drop-outs; the video stream is vanilla 720p level 4.1 stuff with a peak bitrate below 6mbps. The only change I've made to my system other than minor upgrades (e.g, 30 revisions or less) to MPC-HC and ffdshow is switching to the latest Haali from the previous versions; prior to that change, I had never seen any trouble with either libavcodec or libdts.

Edit: Dear all, please disregard the above as well as my prior report of behavior with DTS. Some hours later I re-opened the previously problematic files using all the same software (ffdshow 3721, MPC-HC 1.5.1.2903, latest Haali's) and didn't run into any problems. Nothing changed on my system in the interim. As I wasn't doing anything I/O or CPU intensive at the time I noticed the issues I can only hope this was a one-off problem. If it recurs in a reproduceable way, I will report it. My apologies for the false alarm.

Last edited by Inspector.Gadget; 13th March 2011 at 23:38.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 10:59   #13234  |  Link
fastplayer

ffmpeg --> libav

Just a heads up: ffmpeg changed its name to libav.
Here's the "press release":
Quote:
March 13, 2011

We, as a group of FFmpeg developers, have decided to continue developing FFmpeg under the name Libav. All existing infrastructure will be transferred to the libav.org domain.
Git: git://git.libav.org/libav.git (see http://libav.org/download.html)
FATE: http://fate.libav.org/
Roundup: https://roundup.libav.org/
Patchwork: http://patches.libav.org/
You can update your git repository using the following command:
git remote set-url origin 'git://git.libav.org/libav'
For now we are still reachable over FFmpeg's mailing lists and irc channels but we will migrate to libav.org counterparts. For a transition period both the website and source might still contain references to FFmpeg. These will disappear over time, except where historically relevant.
Edit: No, they didn't... See nevcairiel's post below.

Last edited by fastplayer; 14th March 2011 at 15:46. Reason: Looks more like ffmpeg vs. libav instead of ffmpeg --> libav... :p
Old 14th March 2011, 15:14   #13235  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Actually, ffmpeg did not change its name. Some of the developers tried to take over ffmpeg, but got pushed back after a few weeks, so now they jump ship and start over with a new name (like they should've done from the start if they're unhappy and cannot reach consensus)

ffmpeg.org is still online, and will remain so.

I wouldn't put much into anything thats going on right now, just wait till it cools down again.
Old 14th March 2011, 15:24   #13236  |  Link
fastplayer

The "press release" reads like they're abandoning/replacing ffmpeg.org, at least to me...
Anyway, thanks for the info, nevcairiel! I usually only follow the commit log and not their discussions.

Edit: Looks like we've switched sides!

Last edited by fastplayer; 14th March 2011 at 15:52.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:19   #13237  |  Link
tal.aloni

changes made in rev. 3358 have now been reverted, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Tal
Old 14th March 2011, 16:59   #13238  |  Link
mark0077

Thanks Tal! Much appreciated.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 21:31   #13239  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Edit: it was broken again in 3062.
http://ffdshow-tryout.svn.sourceforg...&revision=3062

Edit: reason is discussed here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...27#post1312127
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...23#post1319023

A proper fix needs to be made that doesn't break resize/auto-crop.
So the bug is confirmed, thank you. Now how can I contact a developer able to fix this resize/auto-crop issue with FLV4, is someone in this thread up to it? (I'm an enduser and have no knowledge on how to do that whatsoever!)
Old 14th March 2011, 22:12   #13240  |  Link
clsid

There is nobody you can contact. Best you can do is open a bug report on the bug tracker. Then hope and wait until a volunteer comes to fix it.

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl