Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 11th April 2008, 12:22   #1  |  Link
Dmitry Vergheles

DVR-MS vs ASF difference

Hello All,

We are trying to add DVR-MS muxing feature to our SolveigMM ASF Muxer

There are MS filter to provide such a functionality - Stream Buffer Sinc filter, but it seems to only operate in real-time mode and is not somehow usefull for files muxing, remuxing.

Well, does anybody know what exactly the difference between DVR_MS and ASF files?

Any guesses, documentation references and existing tools quotations are highly appreciated.
Dmitry Vergheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 13:15   #2  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
This place has great documentation on just about any format. Specifically DVR-MS: http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=DVR-MS

Old 11th April 2008, 13:52   #3  |  Link
Dmitry Vergheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
This place has great documentation on just about any format. Specifically DVR-MS: http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=DVR-MS

Thank you Nice resource

the doc says
Quote:
While DVR-MS files do conform to the ASF specification there are are some unusual features that are not publicly documented. In particular the following are of note:

* Unlike in regular ASF files, the change of the media object number between video stream sub-packets does not imply that the frame has been completely read. The only way to detect the end of the video frame is to use a codec-specific process to analize the stream.

* All frames in a DVR-MS file are marked as keyframes which makes it impossible to write correct stream-seeking functions without resorting to codec specific code.

* The audio stream header in a DVR-MS file is stored in the header extension object rather than a standard stream header object. The GUID for the audio stream has never been published by Microsoft and this has made it difficult for open source programs to correctly play the format. However the GUID has now been discovered and several open sources media players are now finally capable of playing DVR-MS files.
It's god starting point. Is there any more information about difference, may be official, may be there are some open source tools to create DVR-MS?
Old 11th April 2008, 14:00   #4  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
None that I know of. ffmpeg and mplayer I think has decoder support for DVR-MS, so have a dig through that mountain if what I've posted isn't helpful.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:57   #5  |  Link
Dmitry Vergheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
None that I know of. ffmpeg and mplayer I think has decoder support for DVR-MS, so have a dig through that mountain if what I've posted isn't helpful.
Thanks again. What you've posted is very helpfull I'm just tryint to collect some more information