Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 17th May 2017, 01:32   #1  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Weird prob with AVIs containing x264 video

When I open one of these in VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 it gives a warning: "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'H264' (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this video."

x264vfw is in fact installed and used quite happily by TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6.

So AVIs can be cut etc. and saved using direct stream copy using VDubMod, only prob being video is not displayed.

VirtualDub FilterMod 38919 can open and display AVIs with x264 video, but is unable to use direct stream muxing: "The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream."

Truly weird.

I recently migrated from WinXP to Win10. In WinXP, VDubMod with x264vfw worked without probs. It could display/decode videos with x264/h264 video and cut them etc. using direct stream copy or full processing mode etc.

Any suggestions? (no I do not want to convert these AVIs to MKV)
JimmyBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 07:35   #2  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBarnes View Post
VirtualDub FilterMod 38919 can open and display AVIs with x264 video, but is unable to use direct stream muxing: "The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream."
That is actually true: although h.264 has been shoehorned into AVI before, it is not recommended. VdubFM is saving you from yourself

Quote:
Any suggestions? (no I do not want to convert these AVIs to MKV)
Given the preconditions, Nope, none at all.
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 11:53   #3  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
That is actually true: although h.264 has been shoehorned into AVI before, it is not recommended. VdubFM is saving you from yourself
So its an administrative constraint?

In the past 7 years I have backed-up hundreds of blu-rays to AVI/x264. Those backups invariably play without problem.
Old 17th May 2017, 12:54   #4  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
Also VDubFM offers x264 as a compression type.

x264 10-bit - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec
x264 8-bit - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec
Old 17th May 2017, 13:56   #5  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

OK I was wrong. I found an x264 AVI on my end that can not be stream-copied in VirtualDub FM with the native decompressor, but can when forced into using the x264vfw decompressor (via File, Open, files of type, AVIFile input driver).
Old 17th May 2017, 14:17   #6  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
OK I was wrong. I found an x264 AVI on my end that can not be stream-copied in VirtualDub FM with the native decompressor, but can when forced into using the x264vfw decompressor (via File, Open, files of type, AVIFile input driver).
File, Open, files of type, AVIFile input driver doesn't see AVI files but it does see AVS, so I tried this with an avs containing the single line:

DirectShowSource("x264 AC3 Hugo 1360x768.avi")
where x264 AC3 Hugo 1360x768.avi is x264 video, AC3 audio 27,740,160 bytes.

The AVS opens and displays in VDFM OK using File, Open, files of type, AVIFile input driver and will even Direct Stream Copy without error, but the result is an AVI of 2,278,020,244 bytes, clearly some form of uncompressed video.

If you got a Direct Stream Copy AVI result almost identical in size to your input AVI, please tell me what you did.
Old 17th May 2017, 14:44   #7  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

AVIFile input driver does not see AVI files? Hmmm yeah. What I did was copy & paste a path without even trying to browse (I had to search for a suitable AVI)

An Avisynth file appears as a raw, uncompressed stream, so copying it will result in a huge file.

EDIT and the copied video stream has exactly the same size and other properties. Audio copying failed, but that is another story...

Last edited by raffriff42; 17th May 2017 at 14:48.
Old 17th May 2017, 15:04   #8  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
AVIFile input driver does not see AVI files? Hmmm yeah. What I did was copy & paste a path without even trying to browse (I had to search for a suitable AVI)
In VDFM, "AVIFile input driver (compat.)" lists the files it can open as (*.avs, *.vdr, *.vpy) - simply doesn't list any AVIs.

HOW did you "copy & paste a path without even trying to browse". Into WHAT did you paste this path?
Old 17th May 2017, 15:16   #9  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

I ran a search for *.avi, picked one at random, shift-clicked it (Win 8/10), "copy as path", clicked in the box directly above Files of type, right-click, Paste.
Old 18th May 2017, 00:16   #10  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
I ran a search for *.avi, picked one at random, shift-clicked it (Win 8/10), "copy as path", clicked in the box directly above Files of type, right-click, Paste.
"Copy as path" is not available to me, how did you get it?
Old 18th May 2017, 04:07   #11  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Quote:
"Copy as path" is not available to me, how did you get it?
I did say "shift-click", which I admit could have been clearer. Should have been "shift-RIGHT-click" anyway.
For a better explanation, Google Windows X copy as path. (where X = your Windows version)
Old 18th May 2017, 04:48   #12  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
I did say "shift-click", which I admit could have been clearer. Should have been "shift-RIGHT-click" anyway.
For a better explanation, Google Windows X copy as path. (where X = your Windows version)
Hmm.. interesting, I got the above to work as you say but the only response in VDFM was "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'H264' (unknown)" and the file doesn't load at all.
Old 17th May 2017, 22:08   #13  |  Link
hello_hello

For the standard VirutalDub, "Audio/Video Interleaved" is included in the drop down list when opening files. "AVIFile input driver" doesn't include AVIs. Try the standard version if you're using the modded version, but it probably works the same way as the standard version with the ffmpeg input driver plugin installed and you need to select "Audio/Video Interleaved". For the standard VD, without the ffmpeg input driver plugin, it should open AVIs in the usual way. If the plugin is present, it'll probably default to opening the files so you won't be able to use directstream copy unless you select "Audio/Video Interleaved". Even if VD complains about not being able to find a codec for decompression, you should still be able to use direct stream copy if you open them that way.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Virtualdub
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vir...eginputplugin/

Last edited by hello_hello; 17th May 2017 at 22:15.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 00:25   #14  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
For the standard VirutalDub, "Audio/Video Interleaved" is included in the drop down list when opening files. "AVIFile input driver" doesn't include AVIs. Try the standard version if you're using the modded version, but it probably works the same way as the standard version with the ffmpeg input driver plugin installed and you need to select "Audio/Video Interleaved". For the standard VD, without the ffmpeg input driver plugin, it should open AVIs in the usual way. If the plugin is present, it'll probably default to opening the files so you won't be able to use directstream copy unless you select "Audio/Video Interleaved". Even if VD complains about not being able to find a codec for decompression, you should still be able to use direct stream copy if you open them that way.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Virtualdub
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vir...eginputplugin/
Thanks for your reply, but see the OP.

I would like a SINGLE app which can both open AVIs and view them (so I can select regions to cut etc.) AND do Direct Stream Copy. At the moment I have to use VDM and VDFM.
Old 18th May 2017, 06:52   #15  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
but see the OP.
What is the supposed to see in the start post about vanilla VirtualDub not being an option?

Is the decoder component of x264vfw deactivated? Which version/from where? Tried to install it again? Did you try ffdshow vfw?

Quote:
I would like a SINGLE app which can both open AVIs and view them (so I can select regions to cut etc.) AND do Direct Stream Copy. At the moment I have to use VDM and VDFM.
H.264-in-AVI is a bit special but softwares like SolveigMM Video Splitter, VideoReDo and AviDemux are supposed to handle cutting H.264 correctly. (Including in MKV container.)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 14:59   #16  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Is the decoder component of x264vfw deactivated? Which version/from where? Tried to install it again? Did you try ffdshow vfw?
Yes.
x264vfw_full_43_2694bm_43159_fix
Not yet but TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 is quite happy with x264vfw as installed.
No.

Quote:
H.264-in-AVI is a bit special but softwares like SolveigMM Video Splitter, VideoReDo and AviDemux are supposed to handle cutting H.264 correctly. (Including in MKV container.)
I have tried some in the past when I contemplated switching from AVI to MKV. Ones I tried then which claimed to be able to cut an any downstream (or maybe given) frame did so by recoding a small section around the cut frame.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:08   #17  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Ones I tried then which claimed to be able to cut an any downstream (or maybe given) frame did so by recoding a small section around the cut frame.
If the inter-frames compression around that frame requires it that's a given. It's not possible otherwise.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 07:49   #18  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Is the decoder component of x264vfw deactivated?
BTW What does deactivating the decoder actually do?

The default setting is enabled and normally I have always used it like that.
Old 18th May 2017, 02:34   #19  |  Link
mariush

virtualdub can do that but can only cut at specific frames (keyframes), not at any point.
Sometimes there's only a keyframe every 10-15s (250-300 frames is common default in encoders), so you wouldn't be able to cut such series of frames in the middle.
You can cut at exact frames with some supported codecs if you use "smart recompress" mode (or whatever it's called) instead of direct stream copy.
virtualdub would copy segments outside cut points directly (like direct stream copy) and decode segments which have cut point inside and recompress the portion you still want in video.

but h264 in avi is already such a hack i wouldn't be surprised if "smart recompress" won't work.
Really, stop using avi and use mp4 or mkv

Last edited by mariush; 18th May 2017 at 02:49.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 04:07   #20  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
virtualdub can do that but can only cut at specific frames (keyframes), not at any point.
I mainly do downstream cuts which VDM can do at any given frame, unlike in an MKV where even a downstream cut occurs at a KF.

As I say I have done hundreds of AVI/x264 rips without problem, that's the bottom line...

I could convert AVI to MKV at any time, but not the reverse, another thing I dislike about MKV.