Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th June 2004, 07:43   #21  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Especially, the in-loop filtering of AVC enhances the subjective quality compared to MPEG-1/2/4.
wahh Inloop the evilness what i saw so far in a H264 codec with a Rate Controll (Videosoft) is that they lose vs XviDs RC especialy with inloop on and high motion scenes, you can see how the backgrounds and all the details washing out and for me that looks more disgusting then any blocking in a fast sequence wich you wont really realize at all.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 14:54   #22  |  Link
mpegable

mpegable AVC on Win98

There is a little patch for mpegable AVC on Win98 machines. You can download it from http://www.mpegable.com/download.

In addition to the actual installation file, you must download the file 'davc.inf' and install it (click right on file and chose 'Install'). This script does the neccessary entries in system.ini.
mpegable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 20:57   #23  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

Quote:
An internal version already works with different YUV formats (YUY2, IYUV, YV12, UYVY). Does anybody has an idea what other formats might be important?
For me as "normal avisynth user", it seems YV12 is all i need.

What i would check back in your situation is who uses I420, i always thought this were simply a "re-packed YV12" (different storing order) and i have never explicitely seen a file using it, but it could be it were used on Real or Quicktime based systems in which case it were quite important ..but i really don't know, this is just a feeling this colorspace could be used somewhere i do not usually go
Old 19th June 2004, 11:42   #24  |  Link
bond

mpegable, can you plz give us some more information on the used settings in your avc codec, like loopfiltering is enabled always, what is the exact difference between very slow, medium, fast encoding speed (only motion search?), what is rection time aso...

also it never harms if you give the user the possibility to configure your codec, like en/disabling loopfiltering aso...

thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by unmei
For me as "normal avisynth user", it seems YV12 is all i need.
yes, most people here will use yv12 streams (from dvd) as input, which avisynth is able to pass as yv12 too

Quote:
Originally posted by kilg0r3
for me it only works with rgb input (full processing mode)
with rgb input (add converttorgb at the end of the avs script) it also works in fast recompress

Quote:
Originally posted by mpegable
There is a little patch for mpegable AVC on Win98 machines. You can download it from http://www.mpegable.com/download.
thanks a lot!

edit: i did some first tests with it and noticed the same behaviour as with mainconcepts implementation:
the first few frames are totally blurred and ugly, only after a while they seem to look ok

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 19th June 2004 at 12:11.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2004, 12:52   #25  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Perhaps i'm alone with this, but i would find a constant quantizer option very useful.
Tommy Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2004, 13:55   #26  |  Link
Teegedeck
Moderator, Ex(viD)-Mascot

I'm afraid you're wrong; it wouldn't be useful, it would make it usable.
Teegedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2004, 14:26   #27  |  Link
mpegable

Support for YUV

Thank you all for the input. There is an updated version of mpegable AVC available from www.mpegable.com. The new version supports different YUV formats including YV12, IYUV, YUY2 and UYVY.

There will be some more updates in the near future before we release a 1.0. They will include automatic I-frame insertion, more options for the codec configuration as well as quality and performance improvements. :-)

One more remark also to the first results of PSNR measurements. Since the reference software does not support bitrate control (at least nobody knows if and when it really works) it is difficult to ensure equal test conditions. To make a fair comparison you can either make a longer test with full PSNR curves, or - to test only at a certain bitrate - you should first encode the sequence with the reference software configuring a certain quant step. Then determine the bitrate needed by the reference sofware, and configure the mpegable AVC accordingly.

Using the tempete sequence, the difference between mpegable AVC (slowest mode) and the reference software (base profile) should be around 0.5db. This is at least true with the version 0.8 of mpegable AVC when the input color format is YV12 (no RGB).
Old 22nd June 2004, 00:01   #28  |  Link
chilledoutuk

I have tried encoding with fast recompress video mode in Vdubmod but all i get is a garbled picture with yv12 sources. If i connvert the video in avisynth to YUY2 then fast recompress works fine however as you know this is not ideal.

When I'm good I'm very, very good but when I'm bad I'm better.
chilledoutuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 12:33   #29  |  Link
Shinobu
Satsuki'S Softs Maker

Just an idea, could you add a smp implementation in your codec ? I'm running on dual cpu only ^^.

i've tried this codec, it's a good base for future good codec.

i think it need:
+1-pass quantitzer mode
+2-pass mode
+inloop configuration (and desactivation)
+...

++
Shinobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 13:45   #30  |  Link
mpegable

hi shinobu, thanks for your input.

We plan to add multi-processor support to the codec but this will probaly take until end of the year.

+ constant quantizer mode: will be part of the next release
+ work in progress: not yet sure when it is finished
+ inloop configuration: it seems that a optional inloop filter is what some people like...

In general we do not want to make a codec only for video coding experts but for all users. To many configuration settings may be puzzleing. We need good mixture ...
Old 23rd June 2004, 14:27   #31  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by mpegable
In general we do not want to make a codec only for video coding experts but for all users. To many configuration settings may be puzzleing. We need good mixture ...
provide an option called "experts mode", if someone activates it all the advanced options get displayed
if not activated (the default setting) your "for all users" gui gets displayed

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 23rd June 2004, 15:11   #32  |  Link
Shinobu
Satsuki'S Softs Maker

"provide an option called "experts mode", if someone activates it all the advanced options get displayed
if not activated (the default setting) your "for all users" gui gets displayed"

+1

++
Old 23rd June 2004, 18:05   #33  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

well this is not actually a poll, but i'd also vote for the advanced settings panel as i like to play with this kind of things.

Maybe you should do it in a way that as soon as you use the normal panel again it restores the default values because else you will have people who tried something in the advanced part only once and forget about, then only use the nomal part and have special settings without knowing for a long time - i'm thinking about xvid here where people sometimes still have overflow and curve compression settings they set a year ago (=completely outdated).
Old 20th September 2004, 23:04   #34  |  Link
bond

seems version 0.10 of the mpegable mpeg-4 avc/h.264 encoder has been released some days ago

hopefully they have considered our "experts mode" request

enjoy

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 21st September 2004, 21:13   #35  |  Link
Shinobu
Satsuki'S Softs Maker

Quality based mode is aivable ^^, i'm gona test (this week end if i got some time).

++
Old 26th December 2004, 19:51   #36  |  Link
bond

is anyone able to decode h.264 .avi files created with x264 (mencoder/ffdshow) in vfw with the mpegable avc vfw implementation?

i tried it with files created with mencoder in vdm with no success (the DAVC fourcc is needed for the mpegable vfw decoder)
the dicas vfw decoder even crashes when the stream doesnt use b-vops, cabac, loop and 4x4mv

i always get the message:
Quote:
Error decompressing video frame 2:

a codec specific error occurred. (error code 1)

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis

Last edited by bond; 26th December 2004 at 21:08.
Old 27th December 2004, 18:28   #37  |  Link
DeathTheSheep
<The VFW Sheep of Death>

Ah, indeed, the x264 seems to have added some efficiency/compression code that renders it non-decodeable with older implementations of AVC decoding software. I have the same problem, but in VDUB mod. Just get the ffdshow vfw decoder set up, and it doesn't matter whether or not the DAVC decoder functions.

Cheers, baa
Old 27th December 2004, 19:59   #38  |  Link
bond

ffdshow now also offers vfw decoders? seems i missed something

just to put emphasis on it again: i tested _very_ basic x264 streams (no cabac, aso, as described above) in .avi with mpegable (to be sure that not advanced technologies cause the problems), still it didnt handle it

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 27th December 2004, 23:58   #39  |  Link
DeathTheSheep
<The VFW Sheep of Death>

Woah. Wierd. Happens here too. I wonder if DAVC vfw looks for a "fingerprint" of its native encoding? I've heard about some sort of vfw protection for a while now, just never saw it happen. Perhaps this is an example of "vfw fingerprint checking." Perhaps mpegable only wanted its decoder to decode its own stream for testing purposes (in version .10). However, I've only noticed this after the installation of Nero...

'Spose I'll look into it.

Cheers, baa
Old 28th December 2004, 00:02   #40  |  Link
DeathTheSheep
<The VFW Sheep of Death>

bond, oh yeah, I forgot to say... Um, yeah, vfw decoders. Ain't I the observant little snake? Or should I say... SHEEP? BWAHAHAHAHA BAAAAHAHAHAHAA baaa. (Or maybe I'm just stupid and out of it) Ok, here goes: