Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 22nd January 2018, 01:25   #21  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanarazuKatsu View Post
I tried entering the zone command in cli for x265, but it says x265 [error]: invalid argument: zones = 2 as an example. I put --zones 2, 5, b=7 as the parameters. Could you please take a look into this?
Post your command line, the log file, and/or console box output

Quote:
Also, for the selected frames, do the frames inputted into --zones command fall under the frames after the .avs script trimming, or will the frames being zones correspond to the source's total frame count time-line?
Yes.

x265 only "sees" whatever is the direct input

If you use avs as input and made some edits, the new timeline with all the edits and new framecount is all x265 can "see". It cannot tell what occurred before your script or what the original source was before the avs
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:52   #22  |  Link
KanarazuKatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Post your command line, the log file, and/or console box output

Yes.

x265 only "sees" whatever is the direct input

If you use avs as input and made some edits, the new timeline with all the edits and new framecount is all x265 can "see". It cannot tell what occurred before your script or what the original source was before the avs
I just placed this basic .bat file.
Attached Images

KanarazuKatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 06:13   #23  |  Link
poisondeathray

Don't use spaces

Code:
--zones 2,5,b=7
Old 22nd January 2018, 07:38   #24  |  Link
KanarazuKatsu

Quote:
Don't use spaces

Code:
--zones 2,5,b=7
Hey, thanks! I'm going to do some testing. If anything interesting happens, I'll write down some results.
Old 22nd January 2018, 21:54   #25  |  Link
KanarazuKatsu

@poisondeathray

Hey, I did some testing and it seems to be working relatively well. One thing I'm wondering is if this command argument has anything to do with the current settings I had already. I know it affects the magnitude bit-rate multiplier by changing the 'b' values, but does it multiply what we had off with the settings we've applied to the rest of the non-zoned sections?

Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:13   #26  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
One thing I'm wondering is if this command argument has anything to do with the current settings I had already. I know it affects the magnitude bit-rate multiplier by changing the 'b' values, but does it multiply what we had off with the settings we've applied to the rest of the non-zoned sections?
Yes, it starts with your current settings

But I don't know if I understand entirely what you're asking ....

It takes your baseline settings (the current settings in your commandline) and just modifies the zone area, higher or lower quality if b>1 or b<1 . All the other settings are the same in that zone as if you didn't use the zone (same as the areas outside the zone)

e.g. If you used CRF23 with 5 references frames, your encode still uses CRF23 with 5 reference frames , but the zone area gets modified by that multiplier . Effectively the mb's within that zone will be have lower quantizers (or higher if b<1)
Old 24th January 2018, 03:06   #27  |  Link
KanarazuKatsu

Quote:
Yes, it starts with your current settings

But I don't know if I understand entirely what you're asking ....

It takes your baseline settings (the current settings in your commandline) and just modifies the zone area, higher or lower quality if b>1 or b<1 . All the other settings are the same in that zone as if you didn't use the zone (same as the areas outside the zone)

e.g. If you used CRF23 with 5 references frames, your encode still uses CRF23 with 5 reference frames , but the zone area gets modified by that multiplier . Effectively the mb's within that zone will be have lower quantizers (or higher if b<1)
Wait, if we apply zones with bitrate multiplier, b, it will have a lower quantizers? What are quantizers? I'm sorry if I am completely clueless with this setting.

Thanks for the continuing help. The zone tip really helped a lot.
Old 24th January 2018, 03:44   #28  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Wait, if we apply zones with bitrate multiplier, b, it will have a lower quantizers? What are quantizers? I'm sorry if I am completely clueless with this setting.
You don't adjust it directly, it's the result of applying zones with a "b" multiplier

Think of it as a quality level . Quantization is a form of lossy compression . The value and scale is arbitrarily set for each encoder (it might go from zero to 61 for encoder A, but zero to 100 for encoder B), but it's an inversely proportional relationship - higher values indicate more quality loss. When you use --crf 23 , that means average quantizer fluctuates around that level. --crf 19 yields higher quality, larger filesizes than --crf 23, right? That CRF number is an average quantizer, the values actually adjust around that value. Conversely if you use --qp 23 that's a fixed quantizer value

Each frame is divided up into tiny blocks, called macroblocks. They quantizers actually refer to the macroblocks

When you use b>1 for zones , the macroblock quantizers will be smaller than if you had not used zones. Thus larger filesizes. If you use b<1 for zones, it's the opposite, the mb's will have larger quantization, larger quantizer values and the filesize will be smaller, and yield lower quality
Old 25th January 2018, 06:15   #29  |  Link
KanarazuKatsu

Quote:
You don't adjust it directly, it's the result of applying zones with a "b" multiplier

Think of it as a quality level . Quantization is a form of lossy compression . The value and scale is arbitrarily set for each encoder (it might go from zero to 61 for encoder A, but zero to 100 for encoder B), but it's an inversely proportional relationship - higher values indicate more quality loss. When you use --crf 23 , that means average quantizer fluctuates around that level. --crf 19 yields higher quality, larger filesizes than --crf 23, right? That CRF number is an average quantizer, the values actually adjust around that value. Conversely if you use --qp 23 that's a fixed quantizer value

Each frame is divided up into tiny blocks, called macroblocks. They quantizers actually refer to the macroblocks

When you use b>1 for zones , the macroblock quantizers will be smaller than if you had not used zones. Thus larger filesizes. If you use b<1 for zones, it's the opposite, the mb's will have larger quantization, larger quantizer values and the filesize will be smaller, and yield lower quality
Wow, thanks for the explanation. This makes really good sense.

Also, I did some testing and whenever I try adding more than 5 zones, it crashes when I load the .bat. Do you suppose you have a fix for this?

I've tried it on different sources, and as well as different stable version releases, and it still crashes on me when I add more than 5 zones.
Old 25th January 2018, 06:49   #30  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Also, I did some testing and whenever I try adding more than 5 zones, it crashes when I load the .bat. Do you suppose you have a fix for this?

I've tried it on different sources, and as well as different stable version releases, and it still crashes on me when I add more than 5 zones.
What kind of "crash" ? Any error message ?

Works for me, I tried 7 zones

Try snowfag version
https://builds.x265.eu/

If it still doesn't work, post your commandline / log file / blah blah
Old 25th January 2018, 07:51   #31  |  Link
KanarazuKatsu

Quote:
What kind of "crash" ? Any error message ?

Works for me, I tried 7 zones

Try snowfag version
https://builds.x265.eu/

If it still doesn't work, post your commandline / log file / blah blah
Hey Poison, thanks for the reply as always. It wasn't an error on commandline, but it was more like an OS message crash displayed. No clue why adding over 5 different zones would warrant a crash.

Also, thanks. I've seen that build before, and did a scan way back. Some of the releases has a report of Win32.Trojan.WisdomEyes.16070401 Just worried.

Thanks for the help as always.
Attached Images