Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 11th December 2006, 23:25   #141  |  Link
MatMaul

ok no problem now, but I can't do an header with this file : the created file is a 0 octet file.
MatMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 23:28   #142  |  Link
Zenitram

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatMaul View Post
ok no problem now, but I can't do an header with this file : the created file is a 0 octet file.
Suprising... You are the second person to say me this, but it works at home...
I will see what I can do to have a better handling of header creation...

Last edited by Zenitram; 12th December 2006 at 08:20.
Zenitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 03:51   #143  |  Link
spamalam

I'm trying to get the frame type (pal/NTSC) but i can't seem to get it to work. I'm using the value in the cvs files stored on your cvs space, is this still valid?

MediaInfo.Stream_Video, 0, "Standard"

Thanks
spamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 18:49   #144  |  Link
Zenitram

Yes, always Valid.
Which kind of file (mp4, AVI?)
Is other stuff right? (output of MediaInfo GUI)
Could you say me what are output for Width/Height/AspectRatio/FrameRate?
Old 1st January 2007, 22:29   #145  |  Link
vlada

I have one very simple question: I'm writing an application which uses MediaInfo to read information about video files. I'd like to know if it is guaranteed, that container will be on line 2 in the output and video #0 will on line 10? Or do I have to scan the output for the right lines?

Of course more information depend on number of video/audio streams so I have to scan for them.
vlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 21:08   #146  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Depends on the container himself I'd say...For mp4 & mkv files, we can have metadata and/or tags first, if you're refering at the General Information pattern.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 00:54   #147  |  Link
spamalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenitram View Post
Yes, always Valid.
Which kind of file (mp4, AVI?)
Is other stuff right? (output of MediaInfo GUI)
Could you say me what are output for Width/Height/AspectRatio/FrameRate?
bog standard avi file (xvid encode), but its the same with everything i pass to it as far as i can see. Width, Height, AR, Framerate all match what gspot tells me. Anyway:

Code:
XviD
Standard: 
Width: 480
Height: 352
FrameRate: 25.0
Code:
Standard: 
Width: 544
Height: 400
Code:
XviD
Standard: 
Width: 720
Height: 400
etc. (these are just the avis i have at hand, all were PAL).

Is what i'm getting from the dll. I don't have the GUI.
Just doesn't detect if its PAL or NTSC.
Old 6th January 2007, 13:27   #148  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamalam View Post
Is what i'm getting from the dll. I don't have the GUI.
The GUI version does not offer "colour system" information either: -

Code:
Video #0
Codec                : XviD
Codec/Family         : MPEG-4
Codec/Info           : XviD project
Codec settings/BVOP  : Yes
Codec settings/QPel  : No
Codec settings/GMC   : 0
Codec settings/Matri : Default
PlayTime             : 10s
Bit rate             : 319 Kbps
Width                : 720 pixels
Height               : 432 pixels
Aspect ratio         : 2.35
Frame rate           : 25.000 fps
Resolution           : 8 bits
Chroma               : 4:2:0
Interlacement        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)   : 0.041
StreamSize           : 390 KiB
Writing library      : XviD0046
Is such information all that important anyway?

By-the-way... Would it be possible to add the "video frame total" count?

Cheers
Old 6th January 2007, 15:15   #149  |  Link
spamalam

Quote:
Is such information all that important anyway?
yes, when versioning it not only helps tracks the source, very often the PAL sources look for more vibrant than the NTSC by and large in this case.

MediaInfo used to offer standard calls, but they don't seem to work since several revisions back and Standard no longer returns everything.

I mean i can just use fps as an indicator to get the same information, just that bit neater if I can have mediainfo can do that instead of using some finickerty system

Last edited by spamalam; 6th January 2007 at 15:23.
Old 6th January 2007, 16:43   #150  |  Link
vlada

spamalam
If you're talking about digital video, PAL and NTSC don't exist anymore. Those were norms for analogue broadcasting. The only place where PAL and NTSC remain in digital world are DV and DVD-Video formats. Here you have video files, which are better optimized for PAL or NTSC (resolution and framerate).

Where do you think MediaInfo could get an information, what was the source of an AVI file?
Old 7th January 2007, 02:23   #151  |  Link
spamalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlada View Post
spamalam
Where do you think MediaInfo could get an information, what was the source of an AVI file?
Framerate, its not just resolution that defines the TV standard afaik (right?)

so 25fps, cropped video isn't pal anymore? Damn. I know pal in 1967 meant something different to what it is now (strict colour code, etc.), so dvd pal isn't pal either. I've always said PAL/compatible is 25fps, ntsc is 23fps/29fps, its been the simplest most descriptive usage. Obviously res defined the hz of a tv too.

I guess i was assuming it meant what standard the video was, not whether it was fully standard compliant. I'll just use framerate to determine standard rather than calling standard in that case

The reasoning is pretty simple. Consider a standalone divx/xvid player hooked up to an pal tv. People get problems with their tv, ntsc rips (fps) often don't play on pal tvs and pal rips (fps) often don't play on ntsc tvs, as well as the preference of people watching and the effect of the framerate if the person is perdantic. I wanted to define whether it was pal sourced or ntsc sourced.

Last edited by spamalam; 7th January 2007 at 02:45.
Old 7th January 2007, 11:54   #152  |  Link
vlada

spamalam
Usually original movie sources are saved on film cells (no resolution) and with 24fps. They are not PAL neither NTSC compliant. If studios create PAL DVDs, they speed up the movie to 25fps, scan the cells and resize picture to 720x576 (original PAL standard says 625 lines, but only 575 of them are visible, this is where 576 comes from). 720 is just because somebody thought it was a good idea (I don't think so).

NTSC DVDs are created with a technique called 3:2 pulldown, which splits frames into fields and then duplicates some of them. The resulting framerate must be 29.97 (30*1000/1001 exactly). It creates nasty interlacing artifacts when watched on a PC, so you'd better convert it back to 24*1000/1001 ~ 23.976fps.

So if you run into 23.976 fps movie, you have both possibilities - speed up to PAL or 3:2 pulldown to NTSC. NTSC DVD resolution is 720x480. It comes from the analogue norm again.

Also according to my knowledge, there are usually no problems with NTSC DVDs on PAL players, but there will be problems with PAL DVDs on NTSC players - Japan an USA usually don't care to much about the rest of the world.
Old 7th January 2007, 16:35   #153  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Zenitram, I can't remember if you've answered this before, but I was just curious why mediainfo reports a good amount of info. on single streams in .mp4 container, but when both are muxed into .mkv then opened each stream reported by mediainfo contains significantly less info.?
chipzoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 23:02   #154  |  Link
winnydows

Hello Zenitram.
I use your MediaInfo.dll in my XviD4PSP. And want ask - when your dll will pharse AVS ?
winnydows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 07:56   #155  |  Link
crypto
@DVBPortal

Hi zenitram,

I use your MediaInfo.dll in wmvmuxer. Is there any chance to get MediaInfoLIb recognize VC-1 elementary streams? I can give you details about parsing the sequence header, if needed.

Last edited by crypto; 17th January 2007 at 07:59.
crypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 10:44   #156  |  Link
Zenitram

Sorry fore the delay in responding, I just received the reply notification

Quote:
I have one very simple question: I'm writing an application which uses MediaInfo to read information about video files. I'd like to know if it is guaranteed, that container will be on line 2 in the output and video #0 will on line 10? Or do I have to scan the output for the right lines?

Of course more information depend on number of video/audio streams so I have to scan for them.
No, text output is only informative, you can have tags/other info depends on the video file.
If you want exactly a piece of information, you can use the DLL API, or the "custom output" (in beta version in lastest releases) :
MediaInfo --Inform=Video;%Width% video.avi
to have video width on the 1st line for example.
MediaInfo --Help-Inform for more info, you can use file templates if needed, and I will continue to improve this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamalam View Post
I will work on it again, I may miss something in latest releases.

Quote:
There is a flag in MPEG-1/2 Video stream for PAL or NTSC format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipzoller View Post
Zenitram, I can't remember if you've answered this before, but I was just curious why mediainfo reports a good amount of info. on single streams in .mp4 container, but when both are muxed into .mkv then opened each stream reported by mediainfo contains significantly less info.?
Because I didn't have the time to connect parsers together (between the container parser and the video parser), this is planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnydows View Post
when your dll will pharse AVS ?
This is planned, but I need more example of AVS files, could you send me some example you would like I support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Is there any chance to get MediaInfoLIb recognize VC-1 elementary streams? I can give you details about parsing the sequence header, if needed.
I need :
- example files
- some specifications about the sequence header
And I will support it.

Please contact me directly at zen@mediaarea.net

I have a lot of bug reports to resolve before adding new features, but all you say is not lost.
Old 17th January 2007, 18:23   #157  |  Link
winnydows

@Zenitram
Use my program for create AVS files:

XviD4PSP 4.049 final

Also one bug in MediaInfoDLL found:
In last version missed delay info in some AVI files.

In this file:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5K3Y7ZQD

In version 0.7.3.1 delay info worked correct.

Added
Also last new version (0.7.4.3) complete wrong show delay info for all files (20 min Delay for DVD !!!???).

Last edited by winnydows; 25th January 2007 at 19:12.
winnydows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2007, 18:06   #158  |  Link
moadib2k

While trying to get megui running under vista x64 I found that the problem with megui under vista x64 is mediainfo. It is throwning an access violation exception when the method mediainfo_get is called. I am using 0.7.4.3

Any plans to get it running under a 64 bit platform? We don't need 64 bit, we actually have to have 32 bit to work with AviSynth.

I have been working on getting mediainfo to compile (under xp 32 for now) with no success. I have the lib compiling but the dll cannot find mpeg4ip.lib. I am using all the lib's you included in the zip file but that one is not there.

Any chance you have all the external libs in a vs2005 project somewhere? I have not compiled all the external libs, trying to follow your compiling instructions on sourceforge does not work.
moadib2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2007, 20:59   #159  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

1/ mpeg4ip libs are not used anymore.
2/ Static libs for MSVC are available on SF.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2007, 20:43   #160  |  Link
moadib2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
1/ mpeg4ip libs are not used anymore.
2/ Static libs for MSVC are available on SF.
1. It was still in the project from the distribution, I removed it and got past that issue
2. Found those, thanks

Still cant compile though:

I had to add libcmt.lib to the ignore libraries to resolve a conflict with libcmtd.lib.

Now I Have these errors.

Code:
Error	1	error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __thiscall MediaInfoLib::File_MpegPs::Read_Buffer_Init(void)" (?Read_Buffer_Init@File_MpegPs@MediaInfoLib@@MAEXXZ)	MediaInfo.lib	
Error	2	error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __thiscall MediaInfoLib::File_MpegPs::Read_Buffer_Unsynched(void)" (?Read_Buffer_Unsynched@File_MpegPs@MediaInfoLib@@MAEXXZ)	MediaInfo.lib	
Error	3	error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __thiscall MediaInfoLib::File_MpegPs::Read_Buffer_Continue(void)" (?Read_Buffer_Continue@File_MpegPs@MediaInfoLib@@MAEXXZ)	MediaInfo.lib	
Error	4	error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __thiscall MediaInfoLib::File_MpegPs::Read_Buffer_Finalize(void)" (?Read_Buffer_Finalize@File_MpegPs@MediaInfoLib@@MAEXXZ)	MediaInfo.lib	
Error	5	error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __thiscall MediaInfoLib::File_MpegPs::HowTo(enum MediaInfoLib::stream_t)" (?HowTo@File_MpegPs@MediaInfoLib@@MAEXW4stream_t@2@@Z)	MediaInfo.lib	
Error	6	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __invalid_parameter_noinfo referenced in function "public: class std::_String_const_iterator<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> > & __thiscall std::_String_const_iterator<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> >::operator+=(int)" (??Y?$_String_const_iterator@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@QAEAAV01@H@Z)	ZenLib.lib	
Error	7	error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __invalid_parameter_noinfo	ZenLib.lib	
Error	8	error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __invalid_parameter_noinfo	ZenLib.lib
Would appreciate any help, thanks
moadib2k is offline   Reply With Quote