Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th August 2017, 23:46   #20  |  Link
manolito

Update the AVStoDVD helper applications

I have been meaning to compile this little list for a long time, here it is finally. It reflects the state for the current release 2.8.7 Alpha 170921, so it will need to be updated regularly.

Since I still use the software on an ancient machine with a non-SSE2 CPU under Windows XP I took special care to point out which updates require newer hardware or software.

Please note that if you want to upgrade you absolutely have to download and use the 32-bit versions of the applications. All 64-bit software cannot be used under AVStoDVD

Quote:
Here is a list of the AVStoDVD helper applications which can be updated to newer versions. I also tested the compatibility with Win XP and with CPUs without SSE2 capabilitiy (Intel Pentium 3 and older AMD Athlons).

According to the "Requirements" section in the A2D help file an SSE2 capable CPU is required, but I found that this is not necessarily true. The only helper software which requires SSE2 at the moment is LAV Filters 0.70.2, and it can easily be replaced by the slightly older version 0.69.0.85.

.NET Framework 2.0 is only necessary for SubtitleCreator. For users who do not need subtitles .NET Framework is not required for using AVStoDVD.

The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) must be installed for BDSup2Sub. The program was last updated in 2013, but it works flawlessly using the current JRE Version 8 Update 144 (32-bit of course).

AviSynth:
Version 2.60 is required. I did not test the current AVS+ versions, someone else will have to do this. The latest AVS+ version should work under Win XP, but it does need an SSE2 capable CPU.

LAV Filters:
The current version 0.70.2 does still work under Win XP, but this might change pretty soon. For a non-SSE2 CPU the nightly build 0.69.0.85 is the latest working version.

AVSMeter:
Starting with version 2.6.3 AVSMeter works (again) with AVStoDVD without any issues.

BatchMux:
Newer versions than version 1.4.1 which is bundled with A2D are NOT compatible.

DGIndex:
The included version 1.58 is the latest one. However there is an ICL build by Groucho2004 which is slightly faster and works well. Download the file "dgmpgdec158_ICL.7z" from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxx5cm9hk...SjenHa?dl=0%22
Extract the files from the archive into the "DGIndex" subfolder, the file "DGDecode.dll" must be extracted into the "Lib" subfolder additionally.

FFmpeg:
The included version 2.2.3 is from 2014 and is slowly getting a little old. For the purpose of AVStoDVD it probably has everything it needs, though...
If you want to upgrade to a later version, there are a few things to keep in mind:

Starting with version 3.1.2 the FFmpeg AVS interface has changed. To work with A2D it is necessary to include the folder "...\AVStoDVD\Lib" in your "PATH" environment variable. It is also recommended to include the folder "...\AviSynth\Plugins" in the "PATH" variable.

Current FFmpeg versions do NOT work under Win XP. There are a couple of fairly recent builds by CoRoNe, rogerdpack and Sherpya which do work under Win XP, though.

The latest and highly recommended version which works under Win XP and does not require to modify the "PATH" variable is this one from July 2016 by rogerdpack:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffm...e.zip/download

FFMS2 (FFmpegSource):
AVStoDVD comes with the latest ffms2 C-plugin for AVS version 2.23 by qyot27. The latest "official" version is 2.23.1, this version needs an SSE2 capable CPU. I strongly recommend to stick with the included C-plugin version because it is very reliable, the "official" version does not offer any benefits, and upgrading would require to patch the AVStoDVD executable.

One note of caution:
It is NOT recommended to have a different ffms2 version in your "...\AviSynth\Plugins" folder. If you do it is much safer to copy the files ffms2.dll and ffms2.avsi from the AVStoDVD\Lib folder into the AviSynth\Plugins folder.

MediaInfo:
In my experience it is safe to upgrade to the latest MediaInfo.dll file. The current version 0.7.99.0 works without issues.

MKVtoolNix:
The only file from the package which is actually used by AVStoDVD is "mkvextract.exe". The current version 17.0 works nicely.

Mplex:
AVStoDVD comes with two different Mplex versions, a "normal" version and a version which requires SSE2. In my experience the SSE2 version has no advantages whatsoever, in my tests it was even slower than the normal version. I recommend to leave everything as it is.

SubtitleCreator:
AVStoDVD comes with the latest stable version 2.2. There is a newer release candidate version 2.3 available, but the author stopped working on it in 2008, so I did not test it under A2D.

All other helper applications are current. Most of them are static, i.e. there will probably be no more updates for them.

Comments and corrections welcome...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; Yesterday at 02:28.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote