Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 5th December 2004, 22:15   #21  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally posted by dragongodz
did you use version 1.2.4(updated 12-04-04, same build that has the RGB fix)) to test that ?
I just redid that test with 1.2.4, and null frames still has no effect on YUV.
(When I reported the compression with duplicates removed, that was using MEncoder's decimate filter, not Lagarith's.)

Last edited by akupenguin; 5th December 2004 at 22:17.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2004, 01:09   #22  |  Link
BlindWanderer
Brain Dead

*poke*
1.2.5 released.
"Bug fixes: Released version did not mantain a copy of the previous frame for YV12/YUY2, resulting in null frames not working for those color spaces."
Old 8th December 2004, 15:52   #23  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akupenguin
Yes, I made sure all of these are really lossless.
Would you provide an AVISynth script for testing this? I want to run some tests, but I'm really don't feel like figuring out AVISynth yet again.
Atamido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2004, 18:43   #24  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

I did it using "mplayer -vo md5sum", but if you want to use avisynth, the script could be
Code:
compare( avisource("raw.avi"), avisource("ffv1.avi"), logfile="ffv1.log" )
Old 9th December 2004, 05:42   #25  |  Link
morsa
the dumbest

Could be Lagarith be modified to accept Bayer mosaic video?
For example a 1920x1080 Bayer mosaic can be decomposed to 4 960x540 planes as follows:

1) Odd lines Green
2) Even lines Green
3) Red
4) Blue
morsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2004, 14:32   #26  |  Link
TEB

Anyone know how to set Snow to lossless mode? I cannot seem to find anyplace to do that. FFDSHOW from 5.12.2004.

My conclusion is that FFV1 AC mode is almost twice as good compression as lagarith.. and almost the same speed at enc and dec... Will test som more...
FFV can infact be an alternative to mpeg2-50mbit I-frame only 4:2:2 storage for video archives.. I tested some educational films at work and they were 40% smaller in FFV lossless mode 4:2:2 than mpeg2 HP@HL 50mbit i-fram only !! in other words.... that ROX!!! keep up the good work.
TEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2004, 14:49   #27  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Quote:
Originally posted by TEB
Anyone know how to set Snow to lossless mode? I cannot seem to find anyplace to do that. FFDSHOW from 5.12.2004.
Just set the quality to 100.

Speaking of Snow, it's already quite good, often better than ffv1, but it could reach even better compression ratio if it would have a good frame-type decision algorithm implemented, because in lossless mode using keyframes instead of predicted frames could often save a lot of bits, especially in fast motion scenes, so the fixed frametype-pattern seriously hinders the lossless performance (and the lossy too to a lesser extent).

Last edited by Tommy Carrot; 9th December 2004 at 20:19.
Tommy Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 13:10   #28  |  Link
plonk420
amd & h.264 fanboy

dunno about you guys but i was getting 40FPS encoding to FFV1 (and the output was garbled, too). OTOH, i'm getting 120FPS encodign to Logarith and a projected filesize 1/6 the size of the FFV1...
plonk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 18:00   #29  |  Link
PlazzTT

Version 1.3.1 is out now: http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

I'm having trouble with the new version. The old version I was using (1.2.4 I think, there was no way of checking the version number of it) was working great.

I installed the new version, and the codec seems to encode okay. I'm using VirtualVCR to capture live TV. But I can't seem to decode, view or open the encoded AVI afterwards. The 1.3.1 decoder can decode 1.2.4 clips okay, so the problem must be with the encoding.

The 1.3.1 AVI I have crashes MPC and Vdubmod. Using AviSynth's AviSource to read it, I get "Evaluate: Unrecognized exception!"

I opened a working 1.2.4 in GSpot and it says the container is OpenDML (AVI v2.0). Fine.

But when I open the 1.3.1 clip in GSpot, it says:
Multipart OpenDML AVI
(5807 frames in first part, 3 frames follow)

Maybe the problem is with VirtualVCR? Either way, does anyone know how I can open this AVI I recorded. It's not a very important clip to me, but I've been recording with 1.2.4 ever since.
PlazzTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 21:00   #30  |  Link
TEB

1.3.2 is out fixing some crashing bugs
TEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 21:30   #31  |  Link
Sir_Lagsalot

Theres now also a recovery version of the codec for corrupted video from 1.3.0/1.3.1, sounds like the error you're getting: http://lags.leetcode.net/Lagarith_131_recovery.zip
Sir_Lagsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 22:05   #32  |  Link
PlazzTT

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Lagsalot
Theres now also a recovery version of the codec for corrupted video from 1.3.0/1.3.1, sounds like the error you're getting: http://lags.leetcode.net/Lagarith_131_recovery.zip
Excellent! It works. Thanks.

EDIT: At least it seems to work. How slowly is this fix meant to decode? It seems to stop doing anything after 2 or 3 frames (Vdub goes to 0.0fps for at least 5 minutes)

Last edited by PlazzTT; 16th January 2005 at 22:17.
Old 16th January 2005, 23:00   #33  |  Link
Sir_Lagsalot

It should still get a few fps... Try downloading it again (I tweaked it a little), make sure multithreading is disabled, and make sure you are encoding to a different codec. If it still gets stuck, try manually removing the frames it stops on in virtualdub so they don't get decoded.
Sir_Lagsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 23:06   #34  |  Link
PlazzTT

Yep, much better now! I'm getting 9-10fps encoding 720x576 to Huffyuv.
Old 11th February 2005, 01:15   #35  |  Link
Longinus

Hi!
Thanks for this codec. It's really good.
And it works... something I can't say for FFV1 and MSU.

I'm encoding 2K material (2048x1556) in RGB. FFV1 just creates a unusable video (if I set it to YUV, it works... but RGB to YUV conversion is so lossy that my eye hurts ). And MSU and Alparysoft crashes in the middle of the encode.

CorePNG works, but it's slower than your codec... and I'm having problem importing it in Premiere. And your codecs compress a tiny little better than corepng (3D cel-shade material).
Huffyuv also works, but compress a LOT worse than both codecs.

Again, thanks for a very nice codec!

Last edited by Longinus; 11th February 2005 at 01:21.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2005, 03:39   #36  |  Link
Longinus

Oohhh, I have one request, If I may...

The reduced resolution function is useafull, but not as fast as I wish it was. Perhaps because of the resize method? That seams to be some kind of bilinear resize.
What about an option to make a faster decode, with Nearest Neighbor or something like that for the resize?

Thanks!

Last edited by Longinus; 11th February 2005 at 19:11.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 21:35   #37  |  Link
Zarxrax

Lagarith 1.3.4 is released.

Now decoding speed has increased, and the resize method for reduced resolution mode is also faster.

Also, version 1.3.3 added the ability to downsample the colorspace when encoding, to use less space.

I tested the decoding speedup myself. The old version decoded a clip at an average speed of 18.4 fps. The new version decoded the same clip at an average speed of 21.1 fps. About 15% faster decoding speed on my clip.

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 11:56   #38  |  Link
dragongodz

i notice lagarith is up to version 1.3.8 now so thought it may be worth mentioning here.

change log since 1.3.4

Version 1.3.8 released on 03-11-2006
Fixed a bug that caused Lagarith to attempt to decode any file encoded with an old version as YV12 when asked to suggest the format (affected AviSynth). Thanks to Zarxrax for reporting this error.
Fixed a bug that could cause video corruption or crashes when encoding certain types of YV12 source video.
Changed threading calls and synchronization methods; this may improve performance slightly when multithreading is used.
Merged various changes from the AMD 64 build back into the base code; hopefully I will be able to merge the builds as the AMD 64 version matures.
Support for non-MMX processors has been ended completely.

Version 1.3.7 released on 11-12-2005
The codec now writes extra information in the format header to indicate which mode the codec used when encoding. This allows the codec to decode to the format used internally even when 'Report Original Colorspace' is used.
Several other minor code changes and small optimizations.

Version 1.3.6 released on 05-26-2005
Decoding RGB24 as RGB32/RGBA now sets the alpha channel to 255 instead of 0; previously, such video would show up as solid black in Vegas because it was perceived as fully transparent (thanks to Stephen Schlueter for reporting this error).
Fixed RGB24 encoding for systems that do not have an MMX capable processor.
Fixed a bug that prevented encoding RGB32 as RGB24 when the "Report original colorspace" option was checked.

Version 1.3.5 released on 05-28-2005
Fixed a bug that caused solid color frames to only decode partially when exporting RGBA.
Added exception handling when freeing memory.
Old 13th March 2006, 13:39   #39  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

can somebody nice post some command lines to use for RGB and RGBA material, using mencoder and its lossless codecs on win32?

(and the same for decoding)?
smok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 21:22   #40  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=ffv1:vstrict=-2:coder=1:context=1:format=bgr32 in.avi -o out.avi

Note that despite the "bgr32", it doesn't store an alpha channel.

Tags
lagarith