Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th June 2013, 21:00   #19181  |  Link
bugmen0t
Banned

Hi madshi!

I want to report back that I now have a bit over 100gb of madvr logs but without any black frames. The last one I had was last week with v0.86.2 before I started logging. With v0.86.3 I only watched one movie in release mode, all others in debug mode and not one black frame (or I missed them). Since other people reported this bug with the current version, however I guess it's still there.

What to do now? Should someone else try it? Is it possible it doesn't happen in debug mode? I can continue making logs but I'm not sure it will help.
bugmen0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 23:21   #19182  |  Link
Snowknight26

When creating a graph with madVR in it, GraphStudioNext doesn't have a close button on the video window (it does with other renderers). Would that be a madVR quirk?
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 09:01   #19183  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmen0t View Post
What to do now? Should someone else try it? Is it possible it doesn't happen in debug mode? I can continue making logs but I'm not sure it will help.
I've enabled it a few times but haven't had it happen with debug mode enabled either. Bad luck? IDK. But I did consider the possibility that the debug build wasn't affected by this also.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 10:59   #19184  |  Link
sheppaul

I cannot run the settings window of madVR. Is it impossible to call madVR perferences' window before starting playback?
Is there any reason to check madVR instance while trying to configure madVR before running?

Quote:
---------------------------
madVR instance not found.

Please make sure that your firewall doesn't block madVR.
---------------------------
sheppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 11:08   #19185  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
I cannot run the settings window of madVR. Is it impossible to call madVR perferences' window before starting playback?
No, that is not currently possible.
Old 14th June 2013, 11:33   #19186  |  Link
sheppaul

Quote:
No, that is not currently possible.
Then, please allow this if possible...

sheppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 11:57   #19187  |  Link
flashmozzg

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Which OS are you using? Could you try different madVR builds to see if this was introduced in a recent build? You'll find download links for older madVR builds on the first post in this thread.
Sorry, missed that post and replying only now. I'm using Win7 Ult. sp1 x64 . I believe it was introduced when DXVA2 was implemented (0.85), but i night be wrong. I'll check now.
Edit: Checked. I'm on 0.84.7 now. 0.84.6 works fine, 0.85 and over has this problem.

Last edited by flashmozzg; 14th June 2013 at 12:02.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 13:43   #19188  |  Link
ryrynz

Running the new 9.18.10.3204 drivers (15.31.12.64.3204) for Haswell/Ivy and the issues experienced with MadVR's seekbar not disappearing are fixed.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 19:40   #19189  |  Link
bugmen0t
Banned

Tried one movie in release mode and had a black frame within the first few minutes so at least I can confirm it's still there.
bugmen0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 21:27   #19190  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Most likely dumb question but where do I find this XySubFilter..?
Old 14th June 2013, 22:02   #19191  |  Link
TOM_SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
xy-vsfilter not XySubFilter:
http://code.google.com/p/xy-vsfilter/wiki/Downloads?tm=2
TOM_SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 22:30   #19192  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM_SK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
xy-vsfilter not XySubFilter:
http://code.google.com/p/xy-vsfilter/wiki/Downloads?tm=2
I'm fairly sure he did mean XySubFilter, as that it the version that sends the subpictures to madVR directly instead of blending them onto the video.
Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, XySubFilter is still work in progress and a public beta for testing purposes is not yet released, so the only way to get it is to compile it yourself from the source.
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 01:50   #19193  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpace View Post
I'm fairly sure he did mean XySubFilter, as that it the version that sends the subpictures to madVR directly instead of blending them onto the video.
Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, XySubFilter is still work in progress and a public beta for testing purposes is not yet released, so the only way to get it is to compile it yourself from the source.
Yes indeed, I did mean XySubFilter, guess I'll just wait, thanks for the info Dark.
Old 15th June 2013, 07:35   #19194  |  Link
Buckster

solved my performance issues with my 5670 and MadVR

seemed to be a combination of having Jriver set to use "Hardware Decoding where possible" on - which I've changed to off

and I had MadVR set to auto-switch to 1080p60 rather than 1080p59 (now instead of saying a frame repeat every 4 mins its 50 mins)

overall result, Jinc3 (upscaling), and Bicubic (chroma upscaling) - seems to work with no dropped frames

but even better Jinc3 (upscaling) and Jinc (chroma upscaling) - also now works with no dropped frames

Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 20:27   #19195  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdboy View Post
Is it possible for madvr to tell when the current refresh rate is 59.99hz and not 59.94hz? I set madvr to switch to 1080p59 but when the display is at 60hz already, madvr does not switch to 59hz. ie it doesn't distinguish between the two. If the display is currently at 23hz, otoh, it does switch to 59hz.
Which OS and which madVR build have you testing this with? The very latest build (v0.86.3) contains a special fix for Windows 8 which works around issues like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
Just found a better setting which runs much stable with madVR unless the GPU is overloaded.

CPU queue size: 16
GPU queue size: 16
back buffers: 8 (both window and FSE)
present several frames in advance: [checked]
after last render step: [flush & wait(sleep)] or [flush]
others: [don't flush]
That doesn't look so very much different from the defaults? FWIW, I would recommend to use a CPU queue slightly higher than the GPU queue. E.g. try a CPU queue of 24 with everything else the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyral View Post
I did some tests yesterday with GPU-z to check GPU load and there is something strange. Here are the result :
1080p videos : 0% GPU load ; ~7ms rendering time
720p videos : 30% GPU load ; ~11ms rendering time

Even if the video match the screen, GPU load should not be 0%, right ?
The 6850 is quite fast, but even the 6850 should not be able to do Jinc3 AR chroma upsampling with 0% GPU. So I would say there's probably something wrong somewhere. Does the madVR OSD report "NV12" (YCbCr 4:2:0)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortos-2 View Post
madshi, can’t you convert the subtitles from PC to TV and then blend them onto the video instead of converting the video to PC, blending and then converting back to TV?
Converting the subtitles like this would mean that I'd have to modify every pixel of the bitmaps XySubFilter is sending me. Doing so would noticeably increase CPU usage. So I don't think this is a good approach.

Ok, I could also convert the subtitles on the GPU, but that would be more difficult than doing it on the CPU, and it might not be any faster than the current solution. XySubFilter delivered subtitles can contain of many small parts. I'd have to convert every single one of them separately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmen0t View Post
I want to report back that I now have a bit over 100gb of madvr logs but without any black frames. The last one I had was last week with v0.86.2 before I started logging. With v0.86.3 I only watched one movie in release mode, all others in debug mode and not one black frame (or I missed them). Since other people reported this bug with the current version, however I guess it's still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I've enabled it a few times but haven't had it happen with debug mode enabled either. Bad luck? IDK. But I did consider the possibility that the debug build wasn't affected by this also.
Please read (and post feedback, if you can) here:

http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
When creating a graph with madVR in it, GraphStudioNext doesn't have a close button on the video window (it does with other renderers). Would that be a madVR quirk?
madVR does not draw any buttons on the video window. I don't think the other renderers are doing that, either. I suppose that's probably a bug in GraphStudioNext? But I don't really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
Then, please allow this if possible...
http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=83

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmozzg View Post
Sorry, missed that post and replying only now. I'm using Win7 Ult. sp1 x64 . I believe it was introduced when DXVA2 was implemented (0.85), but i night be wrong. I'll check now.
Edit: Checked. I'm on 0.84.7 now. 0.84.6 works fine, 0.85 and over has this problem.
Hmmmm... Weird. Can you please try resetting your MPC-HC settings? My best guess is that your color (saturation, hue etc) controls in MPC-HC are screwed up.

Quote:
Running the new 9.18.10.3204 drivers (15.31.12.64.3204) for Haswell/Ivy and the issues experienced with MadVR's seekbar not disappearing are fixed.
Sounds good! I'll double check this with my Intel contact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
solved my performance issues with my 5670 and MadVR

seemed to be a combination of having Jriver set to use "Hardware Decoding where possible" on - which I've changed to off

and I had MadVR set to auto-switch to 1080p60 rather than 1080p59 (now instead of saying a frame repeat every 4 mins its 50 mins)

overall result, Jinc3 (upscaling), and Bicubic (chroma upscaling) - seems to work with no dropped frames

but even better Jinc3 (upscaling) and Jinc (chroma upscaling) - also now works with no dropped frames
Did you try 1080p60 with 23.976fps content or with 24.000fps content? Both exists. Usually the best solution is to allow madVR to switch to both 1080p59 and 1080p60, then madVR will choose which fits better to the source.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 20:43   #19196  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.86.4 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added support for drawing remote controlled calibration test patterns
* renamed madHcNet.dll to madHcNet32.dll
* drop/repeat estimate now works up to 240Hz
* tray icon appears faster now
* fixed: #81: Repeated frames count increases when video is paused
The key reason for this release is the added support for remote controlled calibration test patterns, in the hope that ArgyllCMS + HCFR will make use of that.

Caution: The file "madHcNet.dll" was renamed to "madHcNet32.dll" in this release. This might be important if you repackage the files somehow or have some batch files to copy the files or whatever. Before anyone asks: No, this is not a sign of a soon-to-come madVR 64bit build. That is still not planned anytime soon. However, there might be a "madHcNet64.dll" soon to make it possible for 64bit calibration software to show madVR calibration test patterns, too.
Old 15th June 2013, 20:52   #19197  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

how to understand remote controlled test patterns? Im sure you dont mean that I can control to run test patterns with my remote. but dont have much more of a clue how this can be used and for what.
Old 15th June 2013, 21:01   #19198  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

That means that other software, e.g. ArgyllCMS or HCFR (or Calman or ChromaPure) can tell madVR to show a specific color test pattern. This works on the local PC, or also via LAN. E.g. you can run HCFR on your notebook, and run madVR on your HTPC, and HCFR on your notebook will be able to tell madVR (running on your HTPC) to show a specific color test pattern. This is what I mean with "remote controlling".

Please note that HCFR etc do not support this *yet*, but I hope they'll support it soon.

Of course for LAN remote controlling to work you need to enable LAN network access in the madVR tray icon configuration.
Old 15th June 2013, 21:22   #19199  |  Link
Buckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Did you try 1080p60 with 23.976fps content or with 24.000fps content? Both exists. Usually the best solution is to allow madVR to switch to both 1080p59 and 1080p60, then madVR will choose which fits better to the source.
hi madshi - I'd set by mistake both 23.976 and 24 to switch to 1080p60, as the only auto switch modes I'd set MadVR to were 1080p50 and 1080p60

I didn't even realise that there was a different 1080p59 setting tbh, and in the ATI driver settings if I switch to 59hz it auto-chooses 60 - which is odd

but MadVR somehow is managing to switch to 59 anyway my frame repeat stats went from 4 mins to 50 mins +

so no dropped frames now, excellent picture quality, and much better motion than how my TV handles as stock 23.976 - so great

thanks
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 22:35   #19200  |  Link
mrkazador

Quote:
Where did you get .3204 drivers? I'm using an Intel i3 NUC and just installed 9.18.10.3165 and the seekbar is not disappearing for me and can't find the drivers you listed.
mrkazador is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling