Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2008, 14:37   #1  |  Link
PeteRooney

Three problems with DVDShrink

Good afternoon,

I have opened a normal AUDIO_TS/Video_TS structure in Shrink, then re authored it to contain only the main title.

However, when I create an ISO, the file created has a WinRAR icon against it when displayed in Windows Explorer!

I have tried changing the file association for ISOs to VLC player, but the resulting ISO files still show the WinRAR icon!

Shrink automatically burned this file to a DVD which now won't play (although when I insert the DVD in the PC, the film plays fine!). I usually create an ISO, check it then first then burn it with Nero, so I need to stop this from happening, too.

Also, Shrink won't accept a filename longer than the 8.3 format. If I try anything longer, it tells me it's an invalid filename.

Can anyone offer any advioce as to how I might deal with these three problems?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
PeteRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 15:58   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

1) File Association is a function of Windows - Not a "problem with DVD Shrink"

2) If, as you say, your burned DVD plays properly on your PC but not on your standalone player, this is obviously a media quality, media compatibility, burn speed, or standalone player problem - Not a "problem with DVD Shrink"
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 16:34   #3  |  Link
PeteRooney

Sorry if I inferred that the problems were with Shrink itself - I just wanted to know how to get around them. This is the first time I've used Shrink on this particular laptop - I've just taken the DVD that it burned and Shrink on my desktop has read it fine and created an ISO with the correct icon in EXplorer (in this case VLC media player).

The media is Verbatim and I'm 2/3 of the way down the spindle and haven't had any adverse effects with any of the others with my standalone player.

And on my current machine, I have just created an ISO (from the files on the laptop burned DVD that won't play on the DVD player) with 10 characters in the filename - I couldn't create one with more than 8 characters on the laptop, suggesting some sort of 8.3 setting.

I'll persevere - thanks for your observations.
Old 16th September 2008, 23:32   #4  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Try letting DVD Shrink output files instead of an ISO, then burn those with ImgBurn in "Build" mode.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 01:02   #5  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

DVD Shrink accepts ISOs with more than 8 characters in the name (using Ctrl-I). For example, My test image.ISO

In terms of DVD project files, by standard, they are 8.3 - eg. VTS_XX_Y.VOB (y can go from 0-9). So, if you had VTS_01_10.VOB in your project, you're gunna get an invalid filename, cos that's what it is! If this is happening, concatenate _9, _10 and _11 etc to a single file with the DOS copy/b command.

Quote:
copy/b file1+file2+..+filen (space) NEWFILE
Then move all those 9 and higher out of the project folder and rename NEWFILE to _9.VOB (it will be greater than 1Gb, but this shouldn't be a worry).

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 17th September 2008 at 01:13.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 08:54   #6  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRooney View Post
I have tried changing the file association for ISOs to VLC player, but the resulting ISO files still show the WinRAR icon!
That happens when you install software by just clicking 'yes' to everything. Upon install rar asks what file associations to use so switch em back off in Winrar under options > settings > integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRooney View Post
Shrink automatically burned this file to a DVD
Nothing wrong with that since that's what you selected as a backup target. Select ISO, burn to quality media with Imgburn and see if the problem persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
So, if you had VTS_01_10.VOB in your project, you're gunna get an invalid filename, cos that's what it is![/color]
Can this happen with Shrink? Cause usually it's quite strict when it comes to standards.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 10:17   #7  |  Link
PeteRooney

ISO file naming issue with DVDShrink

Thanks for all your input.

I'm going to try to rip another DVD to files then see if Shrink has problems converting THEM to an ISO.

I removed WinRAR, reinstalled Shrink, but can STILL only create an ISO if it has 8 characters or less in the filename.

Otherwise it says "please enter a valid ISO filename"

I only have this issue on the laptop, Shrink works fine on the desktop.

Cheers

Pete
Old 19th September 2008, 00:00   #8  |  Link
cwl7454
Dragon Slayer

Are you using invalid characters, ie.; />,\, etc.

Foxconn P45A-S/Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHZ/Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro/16GB OCZ2VU80016GQ DDR2 800MHZ/Radeon HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 PCIe Crossfire x2
cwl7454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 16:13   #9  |  Link
PeteRooney

Nope, just letters. It just won't let me use more than 8!
Old 28th September 2008, 10:08   #10  |  Link
Joleca

Just a thought.... Are the laptop and the desktop running the same OS??? could be system limit on naming in the desktop, regardless of what program you're trying to use.
Joleca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:03   #11  |  Link
TheCole

Filesize limit in DVD.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Video DVD Specification does not allow files bigger than 1GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
Then move all those 9 and higher out of the project folder and rename NEWFILE to _9.VOB (it will be greater than 1Gb, but this shouldn't be a worry).
Regards
TheCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 13:44   #12  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

You're wrong. It does not allow more than 10 VOB files in a VTS (numbered 0-9). Thge size is for backwards compatibility with archaic filesystems (although on all commercial DVDs, they are less than 1Gb each).

This is from mpucoder:

Quote:
All the content for one title set (VTS) is contiguous on the DVD, but broken up into 1GB files in the computer compatible file systems for the convenience of the various operating systems. You can see that there really is no break by examining the second or later file and looking at the Logical Block Address (LBA), contained in NAV packs.
The files are broken up without regard to content, which is why it is difficult to process any file but the first, since it most likely will not start at a VOBU (start with a NAV pack). The usual split point is at 524,287 sectors (1,048,574 KB, 1,073,739,776 bytes). In hexadecimal this is 7FFFF sectors (219-1), or 3FFFF800 bytes.
Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote