Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 4th December 2006, 19:01   #81  |  Link
old-hack

Steve,

I've run through this thread top to bottom. Can you confirm that the settings in your guide (at the beginning of this thread) for using wavewizard and conversionbatcher contain all of the correct steps & settings?

I'm trying to batch process my Bidule mono files using wavewizard and something goes funny. I don't want or need to convert anything - just want wavewizard and/or conversionbatcher to process the 6 mono files to Surcode.

Thx.
old-hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 20:39   #82  |  Link
old-hack

Here is exactly what I'm doing.

1. Create 6 mono files using Plogue Bidule.
2. Add them to Wavewizard.
3. Created a correct channel mapping for Surcode.
4. Put checkmark in new Surcode Channel Map.
5. Put checkmark in "Enable channelmapping".
6. Under Conversion Batcher menu option select Surcode.
7. Configure Surcode for 6 channels & assign correct coding.
8. Put checkmarks in Send jobs to batcher & Start batcher.
9. I have no idea what to put in Preferences, so I tried
a. Put checkmark in Enable channel mapping.
b. Put a checkmark in Stream manipulation & select Merge
c. Output format = Wave PCM.
d. No other checkmarks.

Here's the error message I'm getting

"CB error on the merged/stitched output. The configuration of conversion batcher requires 6 mono streams."

If I use ac3dll it works fine and processes all 6 mono files into a merged wave and ac3 file.

What am I doing wrong?

Thx.
old-hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 00:08   #83  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-hack View Post
What am I doing wrong?
Repeat the same post on three threads. See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...603#post912603
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 17:20   #84  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

UrsaMtl, do you think it would be possible to update the guide for use with FooBar2K v0.9.x and replacing AC3Encoder.dll with AftenGUI?
Old 29th March 2007, 23:00   #85  |  Link
ursamtl

Sorry I haven't had time to do this yet. My work has been very hectic over the past few months. I'll try as soon as I can. In the meantime, if you follow the guide as is, it should work for you.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 23:37   #86  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Oh, there's no rush at all. I once managed to to it right, but a second try yielded no results. I can always go back to v0.8.3 though, so it's ok .
Old 30th March 2007, 13:00   #87  |  Link
ursamtl

Don't give up on 9.x. The method for surround works very much the same way as with 0.8.3.. You just have to account for the couple of changes to the Preferences dialog box.
Old 30th March 2007, 16:28   #88  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Just because Nero Wave Editor can only save to 8bit or 16bit doesn't mean it can't read 32bit files properly, right? Because if that's the case, then I think the reason why the stereo enhancement didn't work is because apparently Wider Boy Pro can't output 32bit files, as setting every output option to 16bit in Foobar seems to have solved the issue.

Last edited by Chainmax; 30th March 2007 at 19:53.
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 01:25   #89  |  Link
tebasuna51

EDIT: Read also this new method

Really there are changes with Foobar2000 v0.9.4.2 and plugins, only work with 16/24 bits int, never with 32. The method can be still valid because 24 bit is enough for Dynamic Ac3 Range.

Also we can use Aften to encode to ac3 from Foobar and AviSynth to merge the 3 stereo files. Let me propose the method:

a) INSTALL
- Foobar2000 v0.9.4.2
- V.I Suite version 1.11 Installer (Remember the installation folder, C2)
- VST Host Winamp Bridge by Christian Budde (Remember the installation folder, C3)
- Bridge plugin for winamp DSP plugin. Uncompress the .dll in ...\foobar2000\components folder.

And also we need

- AviSynth v2.5.7
- foo_input_avs Uncompress the .dll in ...\foobar2000\components folder. Needed to open avs in Foobar.
- Aften Ac3 free encoder. Uncompress Aften.exe in any folder, for instance in G:\St_Surr, we can use like working folder (C1).

b) CONFIGURE
- We need also a Mezcla.avs in the working folder with this content (use Copy and Paste in Notepad for instance):
Code:
f = WavSource("G:\St_Surr\flfr.wav")
c = WavSource("G:\St_Surr\clfe.wav")
s = WavSource("G:\St_Surr\slsr.wav")
MergeChannels(f,c,s)
- Foobar2000, firts we verify in File -> Preferences -> Components the plugins Winamp DSP Bridge and AVS input:

After we need configure Aften in Foobar, File -> Preferences -> Converter -> Add New, and fill this screen:

We see 'AC3 (AFTEN)' in the list 'Encoding Presets', also we can set 'Preferred bith depth' to 24 (max. supported).

c) PROCESS
We open, for instance, Track03 in Foobar and:

1) Mouse right click and Convert -> Convert to... to open 'Convert Setup'
2) In 'Convert Setup' select 'Encoding Presets' WAV, check 'DSP Processing' and click in (...) to open 'DSP Settings - Converter'
3) We put and select 'Winamp DSP Bridge' in 'Active DSP' list (also we can use before a Resampler or/and a Limiter like last DSP), click in 'Configure Selected'
4) First time we need fill 'Winamp plug-in path' with (C3), check 24 bit like 'Fixed point conversion parameters', select 'VST Host DSP v1.0 for Winamp' and click in 'Show interface window'
5) Here we need load the 3 dll's, like is explained in first post.
6) Also the V.I settings is explained already.
7) We need create the 3 wav stereo files in the folder and with the names established in Mezcla.avs.
8) Last pass is encode to ac3, we need only load Mezcla.avs in Foobar and convert:

Now we select 'AC3 (AFTEN)' in 'Encoding Presets' and uncheck 'DSP Processing' not needed now. Ok and select the final ac3 file name.

EDIT: Sorry, changed AviSynth 2.5\Plugins folder with the correct: foobar2000\components folder.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 12th June 2007 at 13:22.
Old 22nd April 2007, 13:13   #90  |  Link
ursamtl

Tebasuna,

Excellent addition! Thanks for your work on this. I'll edit the opening message of the thread to mention this update.

Regards,
Steve.
Old 23rd April 2007, 15:07   #91  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Excellent addition indeed, muchas gracias tebasuna51 .

Does anyone kow why does 32bit not work anymore? I want to use foobar with the Wider Boy Pro VST plugin to create a stereo file out of a mono one and needed 32bit throughout the whole process as the source file is very crappy and I want the absolute best possible quality output.
Old 6th June 2007, 20:23   #92  |  Link
tebasuna51

There are a new DSP component for Foobar2000 (foo_dsp_vst.dll) to load VST plugins.
Is in beta stage but can simplify very much the method described here to obtain the 5.1 upmix, because can work directly with VI.dll instead with the stereo ones.

Now we need:

a) INSTALL
- Foobar2000 v0.9.4.3
- V.I Suite version 1.11 Installer (Remember the installation folder, C2) (Temporal link)
- foo_channel_mixer.7z (for 0.9). Uncompress the .dll in ...\Foobar2000\components folder.
- VST host (foo_dsp_vst). Uncompress the .dll in ...\Foobar2000\components folder.
- Aften Ac3 free encoder. Uncompress Aften.exe in any folder, for instance in G:\St_Surr (C1).

b) CONFIGURE
- Foobar2000, firts we verify in File -> Preferences -> Components the VST Bridge and Channel Mixer.
After we need configure Aften in Foobar, File -> Preferences -> Converter -> Add New like in precedent post.
EDIT: The 'Preferred bit depth' can be 32.

c) PROCESS
We open a stereo file in any format supported by Foobar and:

1) Mouse right click and Convert -> Convert to... to open 'Convert Setup'
2) In 'Convert Setup' select 'Encoding Presets' AC3 (AFTEN) directly, check 'DSP Processing' and click in (...) to open 'DSP Settings - Converter'
3) First DSP to Active and Configure is 'Channel Mixer': General -> Output Channels 6, Upmix -> Mode Off. With these settings we convert the stereo in multichannel with FL-FR copied and the rest empty.

4) Now we put and select 'VST Bridge' in 'Active DSP' list (also we can use before a Resampler or/and a Limiter like last DSP), click in 'Configure Selected'
5) First time we need fill 'Select VST Library' with (C2) and select the VI.dll plugin.
6) The V.I settings are explained already. V.I fill the empty channels and modify FL-FR
7) The ac3 file is generated directly.

EDIT:
- The 'Preferred bit depth' can be 32, and is the recommended setting to avoid conversions (at least Aften convert anything to 32 float to work internally).
- No problem with file sizes because don't exist intermediate wav files.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 9th September 2019 at 21:28. Reason: Added temporal link to V.I Suite
Old 6th June 2007, 22:57   #93  |  Link
ursamtl

Thanks tebasuna! You're really coming up with some nice finds! I'll edit the guide to point to this post.

Regards,
Steve.
Old 7th June 2007, 06:54   #94  |  Link
Pookie

I've been using the new foo_vst_dsp plugin for a month or so. Works great! You might see an error message the first time you load it as it looks for the location of the VST plugins. But from then on, no crashes, no problems.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 21:22   #95  |  Link
capricorn

Hi Tebasuna51-

Thanks for your guide. However, I keep getting an write error that will not allow me to output the ac3 file.

I have followed your most recent guide (three posts up) and tried a different aften.exe compilation each time with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

cap
capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 21:49   #96  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn View Post
However, I keep getting an write error that will not allow me to output the ac3 file.

I have followed your most recent guide (three posts up) and tried a different aften.exe compilation each time with no luck.
Can you obtain a wav 6 channel (selecting WAV in 'Encoding Presets')?

Can you convert a wav 6 channel to ac3 with Foobar and Aften?
Old 9th June 2007, 00:29   #97  |  Link
capricorn

Hi-

I can create the 6 channel wavs from the encoder presets. However, I am unable to merge them together with the AVS file into an AC3 with Aften through foobar.

I tried going through all the settings and I'm still unable to work it through.

I also tried to play the three resulting wav files but no sound is output. That is a bit odd to me as well. Should I be able to hear something from those files?

cap
Old 9th June 2007, 03:45   #98  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
I can create the 6 channel wavs from the encoder presets. However, I am unable to merge them together with the AVS file into an AC3 with Aften through foobar.
Use the method in post #92 instead the #89, really more easy.
You don't need avs file or three stereo wav files.

To convert anything (stereo or multichannel source accepted by Foobar) to ac3 you need configure Aften before with File -> Preferences -> Converter -> Add New, and fill the screen (see figure in post 89) Commandline Encoder Settings - Editing Preset:
Code:
Encoder:    G:\your_path\aften.exe    (Drive and path where you have the encoder)
Extension:  ac3
Parameters: -v 0 -pad 0 -readtoeof 1 -b 448 - %d  (and more parameters if you want)

Format is:  lossy
Higest BPS mode supported:  32

Encoder Name: AC3 (AFTEN)
Try encoding something without DSP until work.

Quote:
I also tried to play the three resulting wav files but no sound is output. That is a bit odd to me as well. Should I be able to hear something from those files?
This is a second problem. Of course you need hear the generated channels.

Use the method in post #92 configuring the two DSP functions and must work (at least for me work).
Old 9th June 2007, 07:47   #99  |  Link
capricorn

Hi Tebasuna51-

I'll try the method in post #92. I've tried reconfiguring the aften.exe encoder by copying and pasting the parameters that you have and I get the following error message upon attempting to encode:

Error writing to file (Encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1; please re-check parameters) : file://C:\Documents and Settings\CAL\Desktop\audio\test.ac3

I have ensured that the aften.exe is correctly identified with the path. Also, the DSP was turned off.

Any suggestions?

TIA

cap
Old 9th June 2007, 11:03   #100  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
I'll try the method in post #92. I've tried reconfiguring the aften.exe encoder by copying and pasting the parameters that you have and I get the following error message upon attempting to encode:

Error writing to file (Encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1; please re-check parameters) : file://C:\Documents and Settings\CAL\Desktop\audio\test.ac3

I have ensured that the aften.exe is correctly identified with the path. Also, the DSP was turned off.

Any suggestions?
I get the same error message when use a incorrect parameter line, for instance whith:
-v 0 -pad 0 -readtoe 1 -b 192 - %d
I get:
Code:
Error writing to file (Encoder has terminated prematurely with code 1; please re-check parameters) : file://C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Mis documentos\stereoe.ac3
For test purpose you can let all defaults and use the more simple line:
- %d
Where '-' instruct Aften use the STDIN (Standard Input, pipe)
and '%d' is replaced by Foobar with the name of ouput ac3 file supplied in the next dialog box.

Maybe you use a old aften version without support for -pad or -readtoeof parameters.