Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd April 2019, 08:32   #55881  |  Link
hotripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...&postcount=151

don't attach screens to the forum they need approval which may takes time.
Big update: so I loaded the profileinspector settings then went to NVCP and saw what it had changed. I noticed prerendered frames was in bold 3. Still stuttered. I set it to 4 and it got worse. I set it to 1 and it is a whole lot better, not as perfect as being on Power Saver but a definite improvement. So I feel like I am on the right track to figuring this out.
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:28   #55882  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgit View Post
Thanks. All the same except for hevc main. Any possible explanation as i have spent two weeks scratching my head trying to solve this. It's a new card and could it be faulty?
maybe AMD cheaped out again maybe it is a mining card with a mining bios or it is a buggy implementation so they disabled it because it is not very important nearly every video with HEVC is 10 bit. AMD doesn't have the best track record with hardware decoder to say it friendly. i think a hardware flaw is unlikely the software would still assume the decoder is present. i would move on unless oyu have a good reason you may need 8 bit. BTW. if you have an modern intel GPU there is a very high chance you have a way better hardware decoder you could use as an alternative.
Quote:
Madvr requires gpu card so the chance of someone having an answer is higher than elsewhere. Gpu card isn't a must for lav filter.
the thread is about decoding mainly for hardware decoder your exact topic.
@hotripper
just stick to power saving. it not changing the power that's send over HDMI and it does other more complicated things... and it will not lower your general performance it just trys to waste less power.
and you should leave pre rendered frames to application control madVR by default uses 3 or 8 by default depending on the rendering surface and we still can't see your image.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 14:14   #55883  |  Link
jcwc

Hi all, I've been using MadVR (v 0.89.5) with MPC-HC for over 2 years now without problem. I'm still running a PC with Win XP SP3. Today, I encountered this error message for the 1st time:

madHcCtrl.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point _time32 could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll

It appears every time I launch a new video. I've tried reinstalling MPC-HC, and also reinstalled MadVR (with latest 0.92.17) to no avail. That error message still comes up.

Any idea how I can fix it?

Last edited by jcwc; 22nd April 2019 at 14:18.
jcwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 15:51   #55884  |  Link
el Filou

Did you by chance install or update another application just before this started appearing? Maybe another application updated/reverted that DLL and it caused the problem.
Did you try reinstalling older versions of MPC? I'm not sure if XP is still officially supported in newer versions.
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:10   #55885  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwc View Post
I'm still running a PC with Win XP SP3
Why would anyone use a 18 years old OS, esspecially to do video processing, something that requires GPU power and not too shabby hardware ?

(not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious).
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:13   #55886  |  Link
coolgit

Quote:
maybe AMD cheaped out again maybe it is a mining card with a mining bios or it is a buggy implementation so they disabled it because it is not very important nearly every video with HEVC is 10 bit. AMD doesn't have the best track record with hardware decoder to say it friendly. i think a hardware flaw is unlikely the software would still assume the decoder is present. i would move on unless oyu have a good reason you may need 8 bit. BTW. if you have an modern intel GPU there is a very high chance you have a way better hardware decoder you could use as an alternative.
No mining bios at all. All my hevc files are 8 bit, over 5,000 files, so i wanted a HW for it like my previous card, but it was unpowered to deal with madvr. I think i will exchange it for another card.

One thing i don't understand is when i do play a hevc main file with madvr, the lav filter uses avcodec and GPU is around 60% and cpu around 10%. I had a hevc main10 version as an experiment and dxva2cb was used and gpu was around 65% and cpu around 8%. So the gpu card is rendering either way with small % differences. So what is the gpu card doing with hevc main?

Last edited by coolgit; 22nd April 2019 at 18:21.
coolgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 19:37   #55887  |  Link
huhn

depending on the resolution and bitrate your CPU simply doesn't care and will decode just fine so.

if the GPU can't decode it it does nothing with it.
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:18   #55888  |  Link
coolgit

Quote:
depending on the resolution and bitrate your CPU simply doesn't care and will decode just fine so.

if the GPU can't decode it it does nothing with it.
OK... why is gpu at 60% if it isn't decoding?
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:34   #55889  |  Link
huhn

shader work.
chroma scaling, upscaling dithering the list is long.

real hardware decoder are not using shader to decode they use a so called ASIC which is a an extra part on the GPU dedicated to only do these tasks.

if you go to the windows taskmanager to your GPU you may see the "video decode" not sure if this works with AMD.
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:42   #55890  |  Link
coolgit

Thanks for the clarifications huhn.

This link you previously posted https://cdn2.techbang.com/system/ima...png?1492501244 has hevc main. Do you know what window version it was? Does window 7 (mine) has anything to do with it?
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:52   #55891  |  Link
huhn

couple be a reason for these kind of things. i have no expertise in these things.
Old 23rd April 2019, 00:49   #55892  |  Link
jcwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Did you by chance install or update another application just before this started appearing? Maybe another application updated/reverted that DLL and it caused the problem.
Did you try reinstalling older versions of MPC? I'm not sure if XP is still officially supported in newer versions.
I did update an application (Internet Download Manager) but I think it was just after this problem.

MPC-HC isn't the problem, the error message doesn't appear if I select another video renderer like Haali or VMR. Only appears with MadVR.

Oh, I also just installed MPC-BE and when I use MadVR, the same error message appears.

Last edited by jcwc; 23rd April 2019 at 01:43.
Old 23rd April 2019, 00:53   #55893  |  Link
jcwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
Why would anyone use a 18 years old OS, esspecially to do video processing, something that requires GPU power and not too shabby hardware ?

(not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious).
I'm just comfortable with using the existing PC. The hardware itself is older of course, but still semi-capable - Intel i7 870 and GTX 750Ti.
Old 23rd April 2019, 03:11   #55894  |  Link
toki

frustrated. 4k plays smoothly with just a jump every now and again and 1080p does more jumping than the 4k. No setting I give it seems to fix it. The NvidiaProfile thing doesn't seem to help it either. gpu is at 41%

Last edited by toki; 23rd April 2019 at 03:13.
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:39   #55895  |  Link
clsid

@jcwc, you probably need the Universal CRT. You can get that by installing these VCRedist:
https://download.microsoft.com/downl...redist.x86.exe
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=746571
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:41   #55896  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwc View Post
MPC-HC isn't the problem, the error message doesn't appear if I select another video renderer like Haali or VMR. Only appears with MadVR.
Oh, I also just installed MPC-BE and when I use MadVR, the same error message appears.
This is the same error on same OS: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=140581 but here this happened after an update, and it was a compiling/building error.
msvcrt.dll is a standard Windows file, it seems strange that this error would appear out of the blue without any change to apps or the OS.
Have you tried older versions of madVR? Maybe try successive older versions until you find one that works.
Also search your system for copies of msvcrt.dll and check the timestamp to see if they have been changed recently?
I don't remember enough about WinXP to troubleshoot this.
Old 23rd April 2019, 14:26   #55897  |  Link
VenomousNinja

New Nvidia Drivers. Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 430.39:
Fixed Issues in this Release
 [madVR][HDR]: MadVR is not rendering videos in HDR mode using MPC player.
[200505657]
 [Surround][G-SYNC][Pascal GPU]: G-SYNC does not engage when using Surround
resolution. [200505986]
 Random desktop flicker occurs on some multi-display PCs [2453059]
 Memory leaks occur when launching games. [2551904]
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:08   #55898  |  Link
SamuriHL

Oh SWEET! Hey Manni, can you test THESE ones for metadata?? Thanks for posting that.
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:28   #55899  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Oh SWEET! Hey Manni, can you test THESE ones for metadata?? Thanks for posting that.
Yes will do and report back.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:42   #55900  |  Link
SamuriHL

Thank you, sir. For some reason I thought I was replying to the driver thread. In there it's claimed they're passing correct metadata and a few other awesome fixes for us. This could be our new benchmark driver finally.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling