Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th December 2015, 15:42   #34541  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
When the madVR OSD reads "IVTC" even though the video is not telecined, what processing is madVR doing exactly?
It'll also tell you what cadence it detected, which is the more interesting piece of information.
Otherwise, if its says IVTC, it is actually doing something, since thats not a "source is telecined" marker, but actually indicates a processing step being performed.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:44   #34542  |  Link
aufkrawall

Not regarding the topic above:
Still no more problems to report with D3D11 windowed fullscreen mode on Windows 10 November build with Nvidia GPU.
I think it can be considered fixed by either Microsoft or Nvidia.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 22:01   #34543  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
It'll also tell you what cadence it detected, which is the more interesting piece of information.
Otherwise, if its says IVTC, it is actually doing something, since thats not a "source is telecined" marker, but actually indicates a processing step being performed.
EDIT: Hmm, as the deint=Film tag screws up natively progressive 30 fps (displaying it at 24p), it seems you need to use exactly the right tags because "IVTC" can be forced on when it shouldn't be. However, my understanding is that as long as the frame rate is right and nothing looks choppy, I shouldn't worry if the OSD says "IVTC" - even when there's actually no telecine involved. Please, correct me if I'm mistaken, the terms can be kind of confusing.

How "intelligent" is the processing? Let's say, for example, if I have by accident placed a Blu-Ray rip in a folder that has the deint=Film tag, will madVR "know" what to do with the picture, i.e. to leave the source untouched (because it's native progressive)?

Just asking because I think I've sometimes seen the OSD say "IVTC" when I think it probably shouldn't have. But if it doesn't do any harm, I guess I'd better just ignore it.

Last edited by Uoppi; 10th December 2015 at 09:02.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 02:21   #34544  |  Link
m-v-w

Could Madvr support MPVfuture?
m-v-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 02:52   #34545  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-v-w View Post
Could Madvr support MPVfuture?
Pretty unlikely since MPV has been stealing madVR features and not providing credit.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 11:05   #34546  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Pretty unlikely since MPV has been stealing madVR features and not providing credit.
Hey, stealing without giving any credit is just part of the open source "philosophy" and "values" (things I learnt from the devs on the Kodi forum )

Last edited by Uoppi; 10th December 2015 at 11:07.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 11:39   #34547  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
...The other great thing about Crimson is that it will be needed to support the Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter, which should be available in a few weeks and will give HDMI 2.0 with full 18gb/s bandwidth and HDCP 2.2 support to AMD boards. If only for this, it's highly recommended!
If a graphics card does not support HDCP 2.2 within it's display engine already, a repeater cannot make it compatible, that's not what a repeater does.

So, unfortunately, this is only for products that already have HDCP 2.2 support.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 11:50   #34548  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The word "stealing" is probably a bit harsh. It suggests something illegal which they didn't do. They did copy some ideas from madVR, including an algorithm I invented myself, without even mentioning madVR anywhere. But I suppose that's how the world works these days.

Last edited by madshi; 27th October 2017 at 09:51.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 15:29   #34549  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
But I suppose that's how the world works these days.
I think it's depends on the certain individual(s), and this mentality always existed.
Old 10th December 2015, 15:30   #34550  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
If a graphics card does not support HDCP 2.2 within it's display engine already, a repeater cannot make it compatible, that's not what a repeater does.

So, unfortunately, this is only for products that already have HDCP 2.2 support.
1) This is not a repeater, it's a ACTIVE adapter. Club 3D does say they add HDCP 2.2 support, and AMD is said to support these with Crimson.
2) HDCP 2.2 is the least of our worries, first because there is no content using it from a PC, and second because the lack of it is already addressed by the HD Fury Integral and other HDMI tools. Frankly, I'm interested in getting 18Gb/s bandwidth than getting HDCP 2.2, which I don't care about one bit.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 15:40   #34551  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
1) This is not a repeater, it's a ACTIVE adapter. Club 3D does say they add HDCP 2.2 support, and AMD is said to support these with Crimson.
It is an adapter (which is a general term used to tell you that is adapts something) that (for HDCP purposes) acts as a HDCP repeater (which technically is a function that only repeats what is already supported), you can even read that on Club3D's own site (look at the tech specs of the adapter).

There is no secret sauce involved here. I just wanted to correct that HDCP 2.2 does not magically get added onto AMD products, which don't already support HDCP 2.2 natively within their display engine, which they currently do not.

The Club3D solution is an active adapter that converts, and it's also a repeater to mirror HDCP functionality, which is already included on the source device.

Quote:
2) HDCP 2.2 is the least of our worries, first because there is no content using it from a PC, and second because the lack of it is already addressed by the HD Fury Integral and other HDMI tools. Frankly, I'm interested in getting 18Gb/s bandwidth than getting HDCP 2.2, which I don't care about one bit.
AMD will introduce it soon, but not on current HW.

Again, I just wanted to correct you here, so that no one thinks they can buy the adapter and magically have HDCP 2.2, when there is no support on the source device, which is the case with current display engine(s) on AMD's HW. There is a lot of miscommunication on the net about this, which is unfortunate (because most media don't understand it).

Last edited by iSunrise; 10th December 2015 at 15:48.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 16:01   #34552  |  Link
hannes69

Quoting myself:
Quote:
I found a strange behavior/bug by using the new Radeon Crimson driver. I updated recently the rest of the video software (madVR, LAV filters, MPC HC nightly) so the driver is not certainly the culprit.

GPU: Radeon R7 250
Driver: Radeon Crimson
affected rendering modes: fullscreen modes (both windowed and exlusive), no problem while NOT rendering fullscreen
behavior: all 4 queues + rendering and presenting times jumping wildly, queues partially running empty so dropped frames, decoder queue showing 20-25/24
"remedy": deactivating smoothmotion and/or checking "use 10bit image buffer instead of 16bit" in trade quality for performance section -> normal behavior
I made further tests in the meantime and I found a real solution for the problem (the "remedies" arenīt solutions but work):
In my case the rendering queue sizes were set too high. By reducing them from 24 in my case to a maximum of 21 eliminates the described problem (everything from 4 up to 21 seems to work fine). Up to this driver I never changed the rendering queues and always used 24 without problems. Donīt know why Crimson wants smaller queue sizes, but now it works. The number of presented frames in advance has no influence by the way.
So now I can use Crimson drivers. And the missing video settings from Catalyst (most of them were killed in Crimson drivers) can be accessed by DXVA checker or RadeonMod utility.
Hannes.

Last edited by hannes69; 10th December 2015 at 16:05.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 16:08   #34553  |  Link
a8213711

I have some questions:
Is the problem in https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/3356#comment:11 present with madVR too?
Should I restart the player for every option I change in madVR? If not, for which isn't necessary?
I tried let the TV do the upscale instead of madVR by setting in devices > display modes a lower resolution, but my Samsung simply showed the lower res + refresh rate I set; I know that madVR has better quality, but how can I still let the TV do the upscale?
Thank you.
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 16:22   #34554  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
It is an adapter (which is a general term used to tell you that is adapts something) that (for HDCP purposes) acts as a HDCP repeater (which technically is a function that only repeats what is already supported), you can even read that on Club3D's own site (look at the tech specs of the adapter).

There is no secret sauce involved here. I just wanted to correct that HDCP 2.2 does not magically get added onto AMD products, which don't already support HDCP 2.2 natively within their display engine, which they currently do not.

The Club3D solution is an active adapter that converts, and it's also a repeater to mirror HDCP functionality, which is already included on the source device.

AMD will introduce it soon, but not on current HW.

Again, I just wanted to correct you here, so that no one thinks they can buy the adapter and magically have HDCP 2.2, when there is no support on the source device, which is the case with current display engine(s) on AMD's HW. There is a lot of miscommunication on the net about this, which is unfortunate (because most media don't understand it).
Thanks for the correction, I indeed misread their specs here http://club-3d.com/index.php/product...-adapter.html:

Model

Product Name: DisplayPort™ 1.2 to HDMI™ 2.0 4K60Hz Features
Club 3D DisplayPort 1.2™ to HDMI™ 2.0 Active Adapter
Compliant to DisplayPort Specification 1.2 for 1.62Gbps,2.7Gbps and 5.4Gbps per lane. Effective (video) bandwidth 17.28Gbps
Compliant to HDMI™ Specification 2.0, data rate up to 6Gbps per TMDS channel. Total throughput 18Gbps
Supports full link training and no link training
Repeater for HDCP 1.3 and HDCP 2.2
24-bit color and 4:4:4 color sampling
Internal YCbCr 4:4:4 /4:2:2 to YCbCr 4:2:0 conversion capability
Supports UHD resolutions up to 3840 x 2160p @ 60Hz and 1080p 3D
Repeater for HDCP 1.3 and HDCP 2.2