Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 9th February 2021, 12:13   #961  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

This happens mostly when the appended files has more tracks than the file it's being appended to. In that case the GUI cannot really find a good place where to place the superfluous tracks, and it ends up laying them out in way that the superfluous tracks would be appended to the last non-superfluous track of the appended file.

You'll have to deactivate those appended tracks for which there's no corresponding track in the file they're appended to.

Example: Let's assume your first file contains one video, one audio track, and that your second file (the one you're trying to append to) contains one video, one audio and one subtitle track. In such a setup the GUI will set up things this way by default:
  • the video track from file 2 will be appended to the video track from file 1
  • the audio track from file 2 will be appended to the audio track from file 1
  • the subtitle track from file 2 has no corresponding track in file 1, but it must be placed _somewhere_; in this case it'll likely be appended to the audio track from file 1, to which the audio track from file 2 is already appended

In that case you'd have to deactivate the subtile track from file 2.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 12:40   #962  |  Link
Nejiro

I apologize but it was my mistake, the two files did not have the same audio tracks, I fixed and now everything is fine.
Thank you
Nejiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 04:39   #963  |  Link
odino

Hi Moritz,
I have a question on stretching chapters. I have subtitles and chapters from an old mkv file @ 23.976 and the new on is 24fps. I can stretch the subs to perfectly match by stretching it by 0.999 but if I do the same for the chapters they all end up as 0s. I had first extracted it as XML and added it via "Chapter file". Additionally: is there any reason one cannot delay the chapters directly from the properties tab rather than extracting it, re-adding it and then adding a delay in the Chapters section?

It would also be helpful if you could give some examples of the stretching in the wiki you wrote about avoiding to stretch audio? E.g. 23.976fps->24fps, 25fps -> 23.975 and so on. https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolni...k-audio-tracks
I tried to look everywhere for help on this but didn't find any examples.

Lastly, your contact page is still linking to the old forum post: https://mkvtoolnix.download/community.html

Thank you.

Last edited by odino; 12th February 2021 at 04:47.
odino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2021, 14:35   #964  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvmerge treats chapters completely differently than regular tracks. This means that all calculating operations on chapters are pretty hacky and not tested well.

Use the chapter editor, open the chapters, right-click on the top-most item, select "Additional modifications" from the popup menu, enable "Multiply start and end timestamps…". Calculate 23.976/24 and enter the result in the dialog.

I'm not keen on giving a lot of examples. It's better to understand what you're doing/what you're calculating, 'cause then you don't have to look for the exact example matching your current use case, but you can calculate it yourself. If your original video track plays at x FPS, and your new one at y FPS, then the factor to use is always x/y. If you're going from 23.976 FPS to 24 FPS you play _more_ frames per second meaning same number of frames will result in a _shorter_ video meaning the resulting factor for adjusting other tracks to the new rate must be < 1. That's your check to see if you swapped the two values.

I'll fix the link. Thanks.

Old 12th February 2021, 14:38   #965  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Addendum: which MKVToolNix version are you trying the chapter sync with? 'cause there was a pretty important fix in v53 for --chapter-sync.

I also just tried the following:

mkvmerge -o out.mkv --chapter-sync 0,0.999 in.mkv

with v53 and the resulting chapter timestamps in out.mkv are just; they're exactly the original timestamps * 0.999.

Last edited by Mosu; 12th February 2021 at 14:49.
Old 14th February 2021, 03:48   #966  |  Link
Perenista

PnS Rotate Y- flips horizontally

I noticed a video I have here needs me to apply this MPC-HC feature, which also doesn't seem to work with madVR, only Enhanced Video Renderer. Alt + num 6 will do the trick.

I was wondering if it's possible to apply this without reencode, and using MKVToolnix. The file is a Matroska.

Or perhaps a lossless change as suggested here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ut-re-encoding

However this one only applies to MP4.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 17:11   #967  |  Link
Barabba

Hi, I?ve some mp4 produced by an Hikvision DVR that I want to join.. they are without timestamps, as the the recorder don't care do well pack the mp4 before close it, so it's up to the software solve this problem. Avidemux doesn't accept these files, so I try to join to mkv but the result isn't so good, half of the video is "masked/corrupted" and it appears only when people are passing by it. I attach 2 files here, maybe they can be helpful to solve the problem, if possibile.Thanks
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WIw...ew?usp=sharing

PS: if you may suggest me a way to correct the problem, maybe a command line with ffmpeg, I'll be glad to try. Thank you!
PS2: I've the latest version 53

EDIT: I can solve the error in files using this command: ffmpeg -err_detect ignore_err -i 1.mp4 -c copy output.mp4
I suppose you use ffmpeg too to manage and merge mp4 files, may you please introduce che chance to apply a ffmpeg command to any input file boefore processing? It would be great to have a batch/gui interface to do that.. thanks

Last edited by Barabba; 17th February 2021 at 18:06.
Barabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 10:47   #968  |  Link
stax76

I think there is a Unicode issue:

Code:
mkvextract .\unicode-🙂.mkv tracks 1:.\unicode-🙂.aac
Error: Unknown mode '.\unicode-🙂.aac'.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2021, 21:27   #969  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I think there is a Unicode issue:
Thanks, that should be fixed now.

Old 20th February 2021, 20:57   #970  |  Link
stax76

Thanks!
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska