Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th June 2002, 16:27   #1  |  Link
MIB

audio size

I extracted the ac3 sound from my movie and converted it to mp2 format but the audio size came out to be 199mb while the video is 694. Am i missing a step somewhere? ive read through the forums and try to find related things similar to this but since im new and dont know hardly anything about this stuff i didnt really understand it.Wouldve posted the logfile but dont know how. Where have i gone wrong?
MIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 16:33   #2  |  Link
pacohaas
Audio Moderator

what were you expecting the audio to come out to, how long is it?
Old 28th June 2002, 19:37   #3  |  Link
MIB

i checked the audio length compared to video and they are the same whenever i use a sample rate of 48000 but when i change it to 44100 , the audio is about 10 minutes longer than the video, there are hisses and pops in the sound as well as dragging. What can i do about this? Thanks for your reply
Old 28th June 2002, 19:59   #4  |  Link
pacohaas
Audio Moderator

what i meant by my last post was that we're gonna need a lot more information if you want us to help you.

You said the audio came out to 199mb, if this surprises you, what did you expect it to be?

I asked how long the audio was and you said same as video...fine...then how long is the video?

what method did you use to rip the audio?
what method did you use to convert the audio from ac3 to mp2?
what did you use to convert from 48kHz to 44.1kHz? what was your reasoning for this?

what movie is this, what region, etc?

again...more info please, you can expect us to jump through the computer and solve all your problems, please review the forum rules and especially the link about how to post a good question. Don't worry, we're all here to help each other, you gotta do your part to help us too.
Old 28th June 2002, 21:01   #5  |  Link
MIB

I was under the impression that the size in mb had to be close to the same both for audio and video in order for the audio to be in sync with the video but that was a wrong assumption on my part. Movie:John Q.Video:640x352,164664 Frames ,23.976 Frames/sec,103KB/sec, Unknown format.Audio:Unknown Format. Movie length:1:54min.Divx Movie. I assumed the audio was ac3, i tried to find out audio format but couldnt. I used nandub to extract the audio. Settings were Video-Direct Stream Copy, Audio-Direct Stream Copy and had avi audio checked as well. I saved the wav and changed the wav header with Besplit. Then i used Besweet to convert the sound from ac3 to mp2. I had the ssrc downconvert setting checked.The force input sample rate checked and changed to 44100.Lame setting was on mp2. under 2lame i changed total bitrate to 224 and sample rate checked 44.1. The sample rate change was for the purpose of making a VCD.The sound works fine and so does the length when the sample rate stays at 48000, but when i use 44100 the movie sound pops and drags.
Old 28th June 2002, 21:47   #6  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

Your movie is about 114 minutes long, so the MPEG file should be about 1140MB big if encoded in VCD format.

Audio problem: try the following:
After extracting with NanDub, *rename* the file to .ac3 and fix it with AC3fix like this:

ac3fix audio.ac3 fixed_audio.ac3

Now, use AZID to convert it to WAV like this:

azid -a -c normal fixed_audio.ac3 wave.wav

Now use TMPG to convert to VCD: load the AVI under Video, the WAV under Audio, load the VCD (NTSC-Film) profile and hit Start, that's it.

All the software I mentionned is available on the download page of doom9, in exception of AC3fix, which you can download here: http://download.divx.com/audiotools/.../ac3_fix03.zip
DJ Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 23:46   #7  |  Link
MIB

im typing something wrong. ive tried every way i could think of .heres just one of the ways i typed it: ac3fix c:\John201 fixed_c:\John201.ac3
Old 29th June 2002, 10:14   #8  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

fixed_audio.ac3 was just a filename! you can use any other name: audio2.ac3, repaired.ac3, what ever you want!

You should decompress ac3fix.zip in the directory where you extracted the audio with NanDub.
Let's say, NanDub saved it under audio.wav
You go to the Windows Explorer, *rename* it to audio.ac3 for example(if you can't rename extensions, you have to change the corresonding option somewhere in the view menu).
Now you go to the dos command, change to the directory where the ac3 file is, and type what I've written above. If you were confused because of "fixed_audio.ac3" here another example:

ac3fix audio.ac3 audio2.ac3

then

azid -a -c normal audio2.ac3 wave.wav
DJ Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote