Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th August 2005, 21:59   #1  |  Link
ericgisin

more than 2hr on 4.5 DVD-R

Ok, I've mastered DVD Shrink and want to do more.

If I have a movie over two hours, it will shrink with a combined bit rate under 5Mb/s. Quality starts to drop.

The options seem to be reduce resolution or MPEG-4. That latter is not an option for me.

What are my choices for transcoding 720x480 to 480x480 or 352x480? Or recoding the audio?

What's the easiest way to combine the IFO/VOB with a simple menu and burn them?
ericgisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 22:20   #2  |  Link
Zyphon

You could use Jdobbs excellent DVD backup tool called DVD-RB, you can find that on this forum in the DVD and MiniDVD section under DVD Rebuilder, you can use that with a low bitrate matrix that should allow you to back up your DVD with reasonable to good quality depending on your settings.

Michael.
Zyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 18:10   #3  |  Link
mic

To put more video on a disc...

1) Rather then shrink existing mpg2, re-encode keeping max bitrate at around 7-8 but lowering average.

[if/when viewed on std TV, I've had decent results as low as 4 depending on the quality of the source video.]

2) Use stereo ac3, consider re-encoding ac3 at slightly lower bitrate. This will involve following guides etc to convert to wav, then reconvert to ac3.

3) Cut off credits, or using editor speed them up as on TV. You might be surprised by how much smaller files are after cutting 10 minutes of credits.

4) Convert to film rate using ivt if you're working with 29.976 i captured video.

5) As you've mentioned, try SVCD video size (480 x 480). Personally I've used DGIndex -> V/Dub (resize & Opt. di/ivt) -> Vegas (encode) -- but there are lots of methods, so check/read the guides.

6) If you really, really want to push, edit the video, eliminating some scenes, speeding up others (Vegas might be easiest NLE for this).

For simple menus, there are loads of programs out there, some free, others available for extremely low cost -- don't forget surplus software sites for OEM versions, like Nero6 for less the $10 shipped, including their NeroVision DVD authoring app.

For burning, either use your authoring app or ImageTool.
mic is offline   Reply With Quote