Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th May 2002, 23:38   #1  |  Link
4lex

DVD recordable formats?

I've noticed DVD writers (used in a general sense to cover all formats) have come down in price loads of late - what's the best format to go for for value and compatibility?

Cheers,
Alex
4lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2002, 15:17   #2  |  Link
ulfschack

dvd-rw and dvd+rw are the two standards competing for dominion. We don't know as of yet who's gonna win. Dvd-ram is out ... at least from a video perspective.

currently the dvd-rw people have the edge in that that the dvd+rw people haven't released any write-once-media like dvd-r (but it's in the pipe)

Both dvd-rw and dvd+rw medias suffers from incompatability issues with most stand-alones. I've seen figures of about 30% comp.

So if you can't wait to burn dvds readable in most players dvd-rw is the way to go. Personally my money's on dvd+rw, and dvd+r will soon be out. But then again I wouldn't mind having double layer burners either ... and that's probably years away still.

cheers
ulfschack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2002, 17:40   #3  |  Link
mpucoder

Just to bring this a little more up-to-date: DVD+R is available now. The HP DVD200i is available in stores (CompUSA, Circuit City, and Best Buy), the media itself is a little slow to arrive, but is being manufactured.
Side note: anyone who owns an HP DVD100i - you have until June 30th to trade it in for the new drive (it will NOT ever support DVD+R)
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2002, 18:00   #4  |  Link
4lex

thanks for the info both.
4lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2002, 09:45   #5  |  Link
ulfschack

Yeah, thanks for the update. You wouldn't happen to know about anything about double layered DVD-R/+R would you? Couldn't make head or tail of it myself last time I checked the internet.

cheers
Old 22nd May 2002, 10:49   #6  |  Link
mikeathome

Hi,

DVD+R/+RW is going to win. Microsoft has announced to officially support it in their next products. And as Microsoft ALWAYS wins (due to our stupidity, myself included) guess what will happen to everything which is supported (or not supported) by them.

Bad luck for all of us Pioneers ;-) ...

... who cares

have a nice one, mike
mikeathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2002, 11:28   #7  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

couple of additional points to be considered.

When it comes to the installed userbase of "private" users DVD-R/W seems to be currently ahead. Price and availability of the blanks for that format are also currently better. On the other hand, there's very few manufacturers (Pioneer essentially owns the market), drives are slower (2x speed is the maximum, DVD+R/W can do 2.4x) and only few of the large OEMs support the format. Also, from a technical point of view the DVD+R/W technology should be more compatible. While the difference doesn't seem to be too big for PC applications when it comes to standalone DVD writers DVD+R/W has a few more distinctive advantages.. it was pretty much designed with that application in mind. If you read reviews of standalone DVD recorders you'll note that often DVD-R/W based models have different modes, and only the less powerful one is compatible with standalones.
DVD+R/W has Microsoft's blessing (though what that really means nobody knows.. and Microsoft has already supported DVD-RAM and it has more OEM support but a drawback is that they don't have the blessing of the DVD forum but personally I don't think that's too much of an issue.. I don't care much about having the official DVD logo on my writer and disc as long as they can be played in DVD-ROMs and standalone DVD players.

So, consider all that has been said above and put this into the mix: DVD burners will likely go thru the same development as CD burners have. That means that within 2 years you'll pretty much have to buy a new burner anyway or have to live with really long burning times and less features. So.. assuming that you invest in one format now.. most of the discs you're going to use are recordable, not rewriteable. And once you've written these discs it no longer matters which technology they are. So say after 2 years your investment into the burner has been amortized and you're about to get a new one. All you stand to lose if you should change the format is a couple of rewriteable blanks.. that isn't too bad imho.
Old 22nd May 2002, 15:02   #8  |  Link
trbarry

I have no idea which format will eventually win. But what fascinates me is the recent rapid price drop in the ratio of DVD-RW/DVD-R prices.

It used to be you would pay a premium to be able to rewrite the discs. But now it's about the same. Yesterday I ordered 45 DVD-RW's from QTCCDR.Com for less than $65, including shipping. That is really no more than the price of cheap DVD-R's.

There may be a downside there somewhere but standalone compatibility is not a priority for me, even if it was an issue to some folks.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2002, 15:05   #9  |  Link
ulfschack

Typo? Or did the rw's really cost one and a half buck a piece!?
Old 25th May 2002, 00:39   #10  |  Link
sandman666
RIPP DAT MOFO

There Can Be Only 1.

Well Dudes....this kinda reminds me of the old days when there was a war going on between VHS and BETAMAX for the lead in the market,sadly the better format lost(beta)and vhs became the norm,only this time i think IMHO that the better format will be hear to stay(DVD+R/RW),it has to much going for it in every way to loose,the drives are far superior to DVD-R/RW and the features on these new machines are superb....im new to dvd and i for one am going for the new SONY DRU120A DVD+R/RW,and placing all my chips on the DVD+R/RW format to win....>YA PAYS YA MONEY AND TAKES A CHANCE<

LATERZ DUDEZ.
sandman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2002, 05:00   #11  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
Typo? Or did the rw's really cost one and a half buck a piece!?
Usually I would check www.pricewatch.com and select media/other. But in this case I ended up at
www.qtccdr.com

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2002, 04:09   #12  |  Link
b0b0b0b

Thanks for this discussion. I just bought a HP DVD+RW 200i because of it.
b0b0b0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2002, 22:36   #13  |  Link
tyee

HP 100i Trade In

Quote:
Originally posted by mpucoder
Just to bring this a little more up-to-date: DVD+R is available now. The HP DVD200i is available in stores (CompUSA, Circuit City, and Best Buy), the media itself is a little slow to arrive, but is being manufactured.
Side note: anyone who owns an HP DVD100i - you have until June 30th to trade it in for the new drive (it will NOT ever support DVD+R)
Do I contact HP directly or will any HP reseller take my HP100i?

tyee
tyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2002, 18:09   #14  |  Link
b0b0b0b

For those of you stuck with older DVD100i drives that can't use DVD+R media, HP offers an upgrade program (Web site): Send in your old drive plus $99 by June 30, 2002 (in the U.S.), and you'll get a new DVD200i drive complete with software.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/informa.../lpg41420.html
b0b0b0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2002, 20:20   #15  |  Link
tyee

Geez, just ordered my 200i yesterday and got it this morning. Overnight delivery eh? Great Service eh?

tyee eh!
tyee is offline   Reply With Quote