Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 19th July 2019, 18:06   #1  |  Link
Blurayhd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 228
Encoding with Handbrake

Hi guys first I want to thank you all those that helping my past weeks Iīm getting clear the different options

I have two questions , first between Vidcoder and Handrake whatdo you use? ir it is the same for you?

And, when I encode some MKV movie with Handbrake, I select the 2 pases bitrate because the size but it takes too long I mean, al most 8 hours, and was thinking what about if I use x264 but Nv ? it acelerates several hours the process but it will be the same qualityi? My graphic card does not support B frames

I donīt know, what do you say? all I wish to know is, use 4264 with serveralhours or use 264 Nv Iīll get poor quality than 264?

Thank you for your pacience and time
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 23:10   #2  |  Link
Sharc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
Hi guys first I want to thank you all those that helping my past weeks Iīm getting clear the different options

I have two questions , first between Vidcoder and Handrake whatdo you use? ir it is the same for you?

And, when I encode some MKV movie with Handbrake, I select the 2 pases bitrate because the size but it takes too long I mean, al most 8 hours, and was thinking what about if I use x264 but Nv ? it acelerates several hours the process but it will be the same qualityi? My graphic card does not support B frames

I donīt know, what do you say? all I wish to know is, use 4264 with serveralhours or use 264 Nv Iīll get poor quality than 264?

Thank you for your pacience and time
The general consensus so far is that x264 quality is still superior, e.g. with respect to the retention of details.
But why don't you try yourself and trust your own eyes?
If you don't see the difference why bother? Go ahead with the NV GPU encode and save the excess time.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 01:19   #3  |  Link
Blurayhd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
The general consensus so far is that x264 quality is still superior, e.g. with respect to the retention of details.
But why don't you try yourself and trust your own eyes?
If you don't see the difference why bother? Go ahead with the NV GPU encode and save the excess time.
Thank you dear Shark you donīt have any idea hoy much I appreciate your time and recomendation

Talking about x264 and x264 with NV GPU I mentioned that because I read weeks ago other people here said to me if my graphic card doesnīt have B Frame so the encode will worst than 264 and I have 1080 GTX Ti and so far I know not figures in the list of B frames option ?

You say I give a try and if I see with quality so then have to be capable to mange best quality possible?
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 06:12   #4  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
Talking about x264 and x264 with NV GPU I mentioned that because I read weeks ago other people here said to me if my graphic card doesnīt have B Frame so the encode will worst than 264 and I have 1080 GTX Ti and so far I know not figures in the list of B frames option ?
The Pascal NV H.264 encoder on the 1080 Ti is not very good quality. x264 will be better.

Note: x264 is the software encoder, the video standard is H.264 or MPEG4 AVC.
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 08:46   #5  |  Link
Sharc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
Talking about x264 and x264 with NV GPU I mentioned that because I read weeks ago other people here said to me if my graphic card doesnÂīt have B Frame so the encode will worst than 264 and I have 1080 GTX Ti and so far I know not figures in the list of B frames option ?
Your card supports B-frames for AVC ("x264 NV"). It does however not support B-frames for HEVC ("x265 NV").
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 17:15   #6  |  Link
Blurayhd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Your card supports B-frames for AVC ("x264 NV"). It does however not support B-frames for HEVC ("x265 NV").
You mean does support for x264? (not talking about 265)

Dear Shark, you have that list? I donīt have the link anymore and I like to check again

In other way, if my graphic card does, @Asmodian says
Quote:
The Pascal NV H.264 encoder on the 1080 Ti is not very good quality. x264 will be better.
That means if I undestand so far, my graphic cards does support 264 but if i encode without NV, just 264 it will be better ?

Sorry guys I confused here
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 17:21   #7  |  Link
Blurayhd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Your card supports B-frames for AVC ("x264 NV"). It does however not support B-frames for HEVC ("x265 NV").
Thank you, could you recomend a bitrate calculator? that I using give the option for three audio tracks only and I have some MKVs that contains more audios like directors comments and I donīt get the final filtrate

Thank you in advance!!
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 22:20   #8  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
That means if I undestand so far, my graphic cards does support 264 but if i encode without NV, just 264 it will be better ?
Edit to answer the question directly:

Yes

x264 is a software encoder that encodes video to H.264.

Nvidia has a hardware encoder, NVENC, that can also encode video to the H.264 format. Only the newest one, on Turing GPUs 1660 or better, is pretty good. Even the newest is not as good as x264 on better quality than fast or maybe medium. The older ones are not very good. Pascel era NVENC (on the 1080 Ti) does support B frames and it is better quality than the earlier generations, but still not great. x264 is definitely better quality than H.264 encoding with the NVENC on a 1080 Ti.

Things like Handbrake all use x264 as their software encoder, but there is other software that can encode video to H.264 as well.
__________________
madVR options explained

Last edited by Asmodian; 20th July 2019 at 22:27.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2019, 02:55   #9  |  Link
Blurayhd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Edit to answer the question directly:

Yes

x264 is a software encoder that encodes video to H.264.

Nvidia has a hardware encoder, NVENC, that can also encode video to the H.264 format. Only the newest one, on Turing GPUs 1660 or better, is pretty good. Even the newest is not as good as x264 on better quality than fast or maybe medium. The older ones are not very good. Pascel era NVENC (on the 1080 Ti) does support B frames and it is better quality than the earlier generations, but still not great. x264 is definitely better quality than H.264 encoding with the NVENC on a 1080 Ti.

Things like Handbrake all use x264 as their software encoder, but there is other software that can encode video to H.264 as well.
Thank you Asmodian and just for curiosity in 264 mode in preset I have the option (left to right) ultrafast toplacebo but I tried Slower because the qualityi is amazing

But when I select fro try 264 NV the preset (left to right) are high quality, high performance, fast, medium, slow and default and I donīt know what preset is equivalent to Slower?
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2019, 04:35   #10  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,754
There is no preset equivalent to slower because they are different. I would use the highest quality, slowest, option with NV H.264 because it will still be faster than x264 on slower. I actually would not use NV H.264 at all, but if you want to use it at the slowest option it has.
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2019, 19:33   #11  |  Link
Blurayhd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
There is no preset equivalent to slower because they are different. I would use the highest quality, slowest, option with NV H.264 because it will still be faster than x264 on slower. I actually would not use NV H.264 at all, but if you want to use it at the slowest option it has.
Thank you for your time Asmodian is just I dont have clear at all, in 264 NV preset between others settings like ultrafast, medium there is (at the left) high quality, on the righ side (I donīt know exactly the position) is the preset Slow because that Iīm asking you with one? high quality or slow?

I realy appreciate you pacience with me and for saying I tried NV and just 39 minutes when 264 takes 8 hours and more

I asking for the present highg quality or slower because Iīll give a try because in theory if I notice any difference, any way how to compare it? taking screen shot on computer and compare it?
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.