Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th February 2006, 17:45   #1  |  Link
hihat

how to convert HDTV to svcd with DVD2svcd?

Ala ChickenMan's suggestion (see below), I'm using VideoRedo to cut out the commercials of the .tp stream. Then saving the edited file as a .vob. Then dropping the .vob file and a generic .ifo file into a folder together. Then running dvd2svcd. The video output I get is way too slow, the audio sounds fine. Any tips on how to remedy this sync problem? Thank you.

ChickenMan said:
They were both HDTV 1080i TS streams. I was able to simply convert the TS file to an MPG using HDTVtoMPEG2 (http://www.midwinter.com/%7Ebcooley/). Then simple rename that mpg file to VTS_01_1.VOB and copy a VTS_01_0.IFO file off any DVD and convert using DVD2SVCD as per normal. End results were perfect

D2S was able to extract the audio correctly so no probs there. One issue was aspect ratio. I selected "Anamorphic (encode as 16:9)" however it kept trying at 55 pixel borders top and bottom (both were NTSC mpegs), so I simply selected "Edit as part of video encoding" in the Frameserver tab. I did not attempt to de-interlace the file either, so in CCE Advanced Settings/MPEG2 Settings I had all boxes un-ticked except DVD Compliant.
hihat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 12:38   #2  |  Link
ChickenMan

You cant just rename a.TS stream to .VOB and expect it to work. A TS file is NOT a VOB file. You must extract the mpg file out of the TS file first.
Old 20th February 2006, 18:16   #3  |  Link
hihat

Isn't that what I'm doing? I'm using VideoRedo to save the edited .ts file as a .vob.
Old 21st February 2006, 18:00   #4  |  Link
jshumate

I don't think it's possible to edit a TS file in VideoRedo and have it do the necessary work to convert it to a VOB. In my experience with VideoRedo (which is limited because working with HDTV is a giant pain for me), TS in, TS out. All you may be doing is saving a TS output file that you have placed .VOB at the end of it. Edit your file first to remove commercials, save it as TS, and THEN use something like HDTVtoMPEG2 to get the MPEG-2 stream out of the TS file. Then you should be able to convert it to DVD.
jshumate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 20:34   #5  |  Link
hihat

okay, I understand, I'll give your suggestion a try, thanks.
Old 22nd February 2006, 00:31   #6  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

If these are 1080i HDTV streams, then you CAN'T make them into a compliant DVD without re-encoding. Both the size (resolution) and the bitrate exceed std def DVD specs.

But you CAN re-encode these to Standard Definition, make a VIDEO_TS fileset and burn to a compliant DVD. The easiest way is to output from VRD+ as a .ts file, then import that to HDTV2DVD and go. It will re-encode and fit your file to a DVD5 or DVD9. Another is via NeroVision Express.

But you have to re-encode.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote