Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 20th August 2008, 21:02   #21  |  Link
mikeytown2
Resize Abuser

no we should convince other software (Avidemux, ffmpeg, x264, vdub, blender, freeframe, ect...) to use gstreamer. if they don't want to use it then we would be waisting our time. Also i think the lack of involvement with Google summer of code is what killed it.

In order to go multiplatform, is gstreamer our only viable option?
mikeytown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 02:59   #22  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

dunno, but gstreamer is "working".
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 06:36   #23  |  Link
cogman
The Crazy Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
dunno, but gstreamer is "working".
The only reason I could think of not to use gstreamer is because it still might be fluxing on the standards being used (I couldn't tell you for sure as I've never looked into the gstreamer API).

I think more apps like AVIsynth started using it, we would see bigger improvements in it. Avisynth for linux would also spawn more video editing apps for linux IMO.
cogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 06:56   #24  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeytown2 View Post
In order to go multiplatform, is gstreamer our only viable option?
who knows that a framework is a viable option ?

btw, have a look at Elisa or SongBird which use GStreamer...It's really promising.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 09:22   #25  |  Link
d'Oursse
Mushroomeur

About AVS3, i discuss regularly with Bidoche about avs3, and we have some plans. Bidoche does not want to abandon avs3, it is his little baby.

As Manao said, it's mainly lack of motivations. And this lack of motivations also comes from lack of devs. I had several talks on irc with people who wanted to code on it, but none of them did code something. There was 3 contributors: Kurosu, Manao and myself. esby also had several discussions with Bidoche about direct streaming. That's all. No people from the avs 2 branch. Ian helped us a lot when we migrated to svn, though.

I try to convince Bidoche to work on it again. Maybe I'll succeed soon. If he indeed work on avs3 again, and if there are no more developpers, I don't think that the project will have a long life, though.

About avs3 and it's use, what i can say is that i already had a working avs3 with x264. Also, with the help of gstreamer, any gstreamer app would be able to use automatically avs3 (for example, open a video player and open an avs script, then the video player would play what the script does). It's just a matter of adding a source to gstreamer, plus other minor things. Another interest of gstreamer is that it works on lots of other platforms, like mac os x or solaris. Hence, same for avs3.

last note: about x264 and gstreamer, i also added a gstreamer input to x264. But is it really useful ? The only interest would be to use the best options of x264, as the x264 plugin of gstreamer might support only a few of them.
d'Oursse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 14:18   #26  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

if devs are lacking i would try to host the project to sourceforge and ask for help to the SF community... spamming help requests all over the AV forum/blogs/websites.
also random contribution will also help... so maybe asking the mplayer, videolan, ffmpeg devs would be an idea too...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 28th August 2008 at 14:26.
Old 28th August 2008, 15:50   #27  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

avs3 is already hosted on SF...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:12   #28  |  Link
Bidoche
Avisynth 3.0 Developer

I have not given up on avs3 yet, I just don't want it to be a waste of time.

I have already spent days on it, and while it would annoy me to no end if it was for naught... I don't really want to just up the ante.

Truth be told, the current situation is essentially my fault.
It was my first really big project and I fell quite hard for the Second System Effect.
If I were to start now, I would make things differently (for a start I probably wouldn't branch...)

As for now, if I were to work on it again, it would have to be on items with the higher ROI :
- Fix avs3 trunk (obviously)
- Scrap hand-made compiler and bind to a dynamic language instead (Ruby). It would have to be made so both avs2.5 and avs3 can and do use it.
Bidoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:27   #29  |  Link

She's dead, Jim.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:29   #30  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
It's never dead until SF activity reaches 0.
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:52   #31  |  Link
Wilbert

Hey Bidoche!

Good to hear from you! I recall from discussions with Caro, that the main issue he wanted to see fixed, is the low level parser. Is that still the case?
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 00:19   #32  |  Link
NerdWithNoLife

The thing I would most like to see is rendering with 16 or higher bits per channel. It would do wonders for tweaking and color correction.

But I can't have it all. And I for one am very very thankful for AviSynth at all! It's hard to imagine that a year ago I had no idea what it was or how to use it - now I use it almost every day!
Old 4th September 2008, 12:23   #33  |  Link
Bidoche
Avisynth 3.0 Developer

@Wilbert

The low level parser is no longer an issue considered.

I mean it was part of my rewrite effort of the parser as a compiler with all the gadgets.
Which was A BAD IDEA...
It was interesting and made me a better programmer, but it is too complex and time consuming.

Now the plan is to bind to a scripting language which would be Ruby unless someone makes a really good job of convincing me otherwise.

@NerdWithNoLife

avs3 has those but with no filters supported
Bidoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 16:41   #34  |  Link
RadicalEd

Bidoche: Really good to hear from you! You should come back to #avisynth one of these days
RadicalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 11:00   #35  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalEd View Post
Bidoche: Really good to hear from you! You should come back to #avisynth one of these days
oh hey aren't you that guy with with the avs3-based NLE? how's it hanging?
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 14:15   #36  |  Link
RadicalEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
oh hey aren't you that guy with with the avs3-based NLE? how's it hanging?
Pretty good, but I'm kind of helpless until Bidoche gets his muse back and works on Avisynth again :/
Edit: Also, my other guy that I was working with (and who was much more coding-savvy than I) sort of dropped out of the project, so that's another setback. I think I've found out by now why "many have tried, all have failed".

Last edited by RadicalEd; 5th September 2008 at 14:33.
RadicalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 02:33   #37  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
avs3 is already hosted on SF...
i meant as a standalone project...
Old 6th September 2008, 04:08   #38  |  Link
Ranguvar

What I'm looking for is Linux support Once I have AviSynth working well in Linux (NO, avs2yuv is NOT an option x.x), I'm switching again. So, Bidoche, if you do follow this thing through, you ROCK

Other than Linux, 64-bit support and native multithreading would be very very nice, but nothing compared to the ability to use AviSynth well in Linux.
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 06:15   #39  |  Link
njahnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
Since I rip a DVD or two a day, I'm not prepared to spend a vast amount of my time in a VM. Plus, I'm not aware of any VMs today that can use all 4 cores (VMware only does two), and you have to cut up your RAM, and then I have to worry about transferring massive files, especially for ripping Blu-ray...
the latest beta of vmware fusion supports up to 4 cpu cores. however due to windoze stupidity you can't just reconfigure an existing vm and have the os recognize 4 cores; it's a bit more complicated than that. however, reinstalling the os will fix it.
njahnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 16:37   #40  |  Link
Ranguvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by njahnke View Post
the latest beta of vmware fusion supports up to 4 cpu cores. however due to windoze stupidity you can't just reconfigure an existing vm and have the os recognize 4 cores; it's a bit more complicated than that. however, reinstalling the os will fix it.
Really? Well, even still, I don't think anyone believes that when you're doing one or two long x264 encodes a DAY, it's a good idea to run 2 OS's, with your RAM split between them. If I used AviSynth less, maybe, but it's become essential to me.
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote