Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th November 2017, 13:14   #47401  |  Link
ryrynz

Haven't used FSE in a long time, it's not really needed for the majority of setups.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 13:29   #47402  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Haven't used FSE in a long time, it's not really needed for the majority of setups.
Same here.

BTW is there any visual difference with 3dlut, when using the default windowed fullscreen (present frames in advance), and using windowed overlay (which clips WTW) when watching blu-ray movies?

Last edited by Siso; 30th November 2017 at 13:32.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 13:42   #47403  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
This has been reported before. The Fall Creators Update and Full Screen Exclusive mode do not work well together. In fact, they don't work at all.

Before madshi jumps in and tells you to go back to Win 8.1 , let me suggest you use full screen windowed mode instead. You probably don't absolutely need FSE.

Hi and thanks, if I went back to something i'd just drop the fall update again but I can only postpone this for 1 year.

I need full screen exclusive mode for MVC 3D playback unfortunately.

It cant be totally broken though can it?... as it works on a prevous MADVR release from October.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 13:56   #47404  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm confused about "1-". How can the video fit the screen to perfectly 16:9, if you have black bars left and right?
Sorry, I explained it not really clear. It fits the screen just on top and bottom.

Quote:
If you have a movie with a resolution like 1919x1079 and play it on a 1920x1080 TV, then most media players by default ask madVR to scale 1919x1079 to 1920x1080, which is not really good for image quality, and wastes GPU power. So with this option activated, madVR will "override" the media player wish to have this video scaled up by 1 pixel and instead draw it unscaled, with a 1 pixel sized black bar at the right side and the bottom of the video.
So, for example, I can set it to 25 lines, and it will not upscale the video if the difference is of 25 pixels or less?

Thanks!

Inviato dal mio BLN-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 30th November 2017, 14:22   #47405  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Hmmmm... The 3dlut stuff is surprising. I'll check if I can reproduce it here. Which pixel shader conversion "display peak nits" value did you choose? I think with "let madVR decide" madVR uses 400nits. You've probably chosen a much lower value? That would explain the difference between "let madVR decide" and the pixel shader math option.
Yes, I used 120 nits for both 3dlut and madvr's pixel shader. I've posted more images onto DisplayCal thread.
Quote:
FWIW, I'm planning to lower the default "display peak nits" value in a future version.
Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 16:59   #47406  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
It cant be totally broken though can it?... as it works on a prevous MADVR release from October.
You're right, if you can live with an old version it's not totally broken.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 17:04   #47407  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
You're right, if you can live with an old version it's not totally broken.
That it works with an old version of madVR does indicate that something triggered the bug in madVR, and possibly madshi could do something about it, though. Its not like FSE doesn't work entirely on FCU, in all the games I tried it also works fine.
Old 30th November 2017, 17:52   #47408  |  Link
Razoola

I see nvidia has released a new driver in the last hour or so (388.43). Anyone had a chance to see if HDR switching off is working again in this driver given Im not at home at the moment?

Last edited by Razoola; 30th November 2017 at 18:07.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 18:13   #47409  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That it works with an old version of madVR does indicate that something triggered the bug in madVR, and possibly madshi could do something about it, though. Its not like FSE doesn't work entirely on FCU, in all the games I tried it also works fine.
yeah, hoping for a fix from the Master.
Old 30th November 2017, 20:42   #47410  |  Link
mclingo

update on my issues with Black screen on latest version.

My PC
ATI RX 550 - driver 17.11.4 (latest)
Intel I7 with z68 mb
SSD windows drive
Windows 10 pro - fall creators update
16 gb ram
LAV filters - 0.70.2 (latest)

MADVR diags

09209 - black screen with MVC 3D and other movies.

09208 - struggles to start 3d MVC video, several starts and stops of audio before picture but exclusive mode works, however madvr crashes on stop and i loose hdmi handshake, have to kill madvr in task and DEVCON reset to get picture back.

09207 - same as 09208 but stops ok back to desktop no crashes, reasonably stable version.

using MPC-HC, MPC-BE and KODI DS, same issues with all three.

MASDHI - now we have tons of nice feature any change to could put a bit of boring work into stability and the Start / stop of movies, it feels really unstable and it often takes a good ten seconds for a movie to start.

heart felt thanks for your continued work on this project.
Old 30th November 2017, 20:46   #47411  |  Link
Skwelcha
<(ovO)>

Quote:

Attached stuff to this forum doesn't work, unfortunately, so please upload it somewhere else and then link to it here.
here it is: https://www.xup.in/dl,32961002/madVR...sh_report.txt/
Old 30th November 2017, 22:03   #47412  |  Link
Gopa

Just madVR is enough

Recently, I said, that I was experimenting, with using, ffdshow & mpc-hc shaders (desired, more sharpening). Not anymore. MadVR, is more than enough, for me. Much better sharpener's in madVR. Just needed to try a few more madVR settings, until I was satisfied. Thank you, Madashi!

Last edited by Gopa; 30th November 2017 at 22:10. Reason: misspelling
Gopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 22:13   #47413  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Does anyone have any rendering spikes with the latest madvr build and error diffusion 1 and error diffusion 2 settings? I've disabled "use colored noise" in both but the rendering spikes occur...Like from max stats 12 ms, to 18-19 ms. It is ok with ordered dithering.

Last edited by Siso; 30th November 2017 at 23:08.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 22:36   #47414  |  Link
mclingo

think i'm going to have to take off creators update again, getting frame drops/ repeated frames every 40 seconds seemingly regardless of what versions of madvr/lav/amd drivers i use, i even used my goto set which is always stable - madvr 09114, lav 0702 and ati 17.10.2, still them same, creators update looks like its total bullshIt.

going to do a ful reinstall of all these before I take that drastic step, unless anyone else has any advice for dropped frames in MADVR? - my usual target is one every 2+ hours at least.
Old 30th November 2017, 22:45   #47415  |  Link
Soulnight

Small question to the community:

is it possible to decode HEVC /X265 with the CPU (I7 7700K) and still use Madvr with a GTX1080TI?

I would like to offload the hardware decoding of HEVC of my GPU to my CPU which is sleeping next to it.

Is so, how does it work with lavvideo filter?
I thought Madvr would follow the GPU you would choose in Lavvideo filter.

I have 2 GPUs currently: GTX1080TI for Madvr work (Dynamic HDR with compression of highlights with HDR to SDR) + AMD RX560 for 4K Frame interpolation.

Soulnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 23:53   #47416  |  Link
aufkrawall

It doesn't make sense to put the load of decoding on the CPU since D3D11VA decoding without copyback (LAV Filters nightly) doesn't steal any performance from madVR.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 23:55   #47417  |  Link
clsid

MadVR uses the GPU to which your monitor is connected. LAV uses that same GPU by default for hardware decoding. If you select DXVA2 Copyback or D3D11 in LAV Video, then you can override which GPU is used for decoding. But that only has effect on LAV.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 00:13   #47418  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
update on my issues with Black screen on latest version.

My PC
ATI RX 550 - driver 17.11.4 (latest)
Intel I7 with z68 mb
SSD windows drive
Windows 10 pro - fall creators update
16 gb ram
LAV filters - 0.70.2 (latest)

MADVR diags

09209 - black screen with MVC 3D and other movies.

09208 - struggles to start 3d MVC video, several starts and stops of audio before picture but exclusive mode works, however madvr crashes on stop and i loose hdmi handshake, have to kill madvr in task and DEVCON reset to get picture back.

09207 - same as 09208 but stops ok back to desktop no crashes, reasonably stable version.

using MPC-HC, MPC-BE and KODI DS, same issues with all three.

MASDHI - now we have tons of nice feature any change to could put a bit of boring work into stability and the Start / stop of movies, it feels really unstable and it often takes a good ten seconds for a movie to start.

heart felt thanks for your continued work on this project.

update for the above.

Ok, after loads of faffing about i took creaters fall update off and all my problems are solved again, using all same driver and versions I was on creators update, this is defo messing stuff up and should be avoided at all costs for MADVR users IMHO.

i'm now using latest version of ATI drivers, MADVR and LAV and all us working, frame drops back to hours and start / stop working ok if a little slow, its taking 5-10 seconds to start a movie, however sometimes its because my disks have to spin up first as I have 12 disks in my server and its obviously not wise to have them all spinning 24-7.

havent tried any HDR yet though...

HDR update, this is interesting, all latest 4 versions give me black screen, not working at all with HDR, if I go back to 911 and 914 hdr plays but is choppy, the interesting bit here is that i'm back to frame drops every 40 seconds when playing HDR movies, this is too much of a coincidence, what is the significance of getting frame drops every 40 seconds on just 4k 10 bit HDR movies on none creaters update and older versions of madvr and 40 seconds frame drops on all movies on creators update, starting to wonder if this in fact and issue with MADVR afterall in that we need a creators update MADVR version, or is there something in it which breaks MADVR and causes the frame drops and issues with exclusive mode?. I'd like to get back onto creators as I need it for some other stuff .

Is anyone using creators with an ATI RX card who isnt havent any problems with frame drops or HDR?

also, no versions turn HDR off and on anymore, this worked on creators.

Last edited by mclingo; 1st December 2017 at 01:36.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:39   #47419  |  Link
EmuAGR

Quote:
Please upload a screenshot of the OSD (Ctrl+J), when playing HDR content, to some image sharing host and link to the image here (don't attach here, doesn't work).

I'm not completely sure if the AMD HDR API supports Windows 7, but I think it should. Do you have the Windows 7 Platform Update installed?

Actually, I've added support for a private AMD HDR API a while ago, so it should work with AMD in Windows 8, maybe also in Windows 7. However, the AMD API has some extra annoying requirements: It only works in fullscreen mode (doesn't have to be exclusive, though), and D3D11 presentation must be used with 10bit backbuffer.
Thank you, madshi, for your quick reply. Two screenshots, the second is a photo since screenshots are taken black in exclusive mode and saving image doesn't capture the OSD.

QHD monitor (8bit panel), HDR off, 75 Hz: https://imgur.com/gNSccsY
UHD TV (8bit panel), HDR passthrough, 23.976 Hz: https://imgur.com/9SpHFMp

My script corretly selects HDR profile (in bold) with the following options:
- Enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode
- Use D3D 11 for presentation (W7 and newer)
-- Present a frame for every VSync

HDR works fine with PS4, I don't think that's the issue. The AMD display drivers I have installed are the beta ones from august (22.19.659.1), optimized for computing. I can't enable computing mode in W7 with latest regular drivers (I even feel these beta drivers more stable).

Last edited by EmuAGR; 1st December 2017 at 02:05.
EmuAGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 07:05   #47420  |  Link
huhn

as madshi said you need to send 10 bit to the GPU driver or passthrough doesn't work with AMD it doesn' t matter if your screen is 8 bit.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling