Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st August 2011, 20:02   #9101  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I think it's probably when the seek bar *shows*, not hides?
You are right. I didn't wait till statistic update with open seekbar.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 20:23   #9102  |  Link
BatKnight

Quote:
I think it's probably when the seek bar *shows*, not hides?
Yes, it's when it shows (exclusive mode)... Didn't happen with older versions.

Another thing. I can't use D3D11 presentation mode, because when used together with MPC-HC's refresh rate changer, I can't get 24Hz. It stays at 60Hz. But without the D3D11 mode, it changes fine.
On the other hand, It works with your refresh rate changer inside madVR, but I miss the "change only when fullscreen" option. For example, I don't need the refresh rate to change when I'm at window mode, just previewing videos.
Would it be possible to add a "change refresh rate only when going fullscreen (or exclusive, whatever is easier for you)" option, please?

Thanks for understanding.

Nuno
LAV Filters
BatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 20:51   #9103  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme View Post
The easiest way to reproduce it is probably to install NextPVR, then file up GraphEdit, insert the 'NPVR TS Reader', select a sample .ts file, insert the MPEG2 Demultiplexer, connect the TS Reader to the Demux. Insert a video decoder (like ffdshow), connect the 'video' pin from the demux to the video decoder, then insert the madVR renderer, and connect teh video decoder to madVR. It'll crash at this point.
The cause of the crash is that your filter does implement "IFileSourceFilter" and "IFileSourceFilter.GetCurFile()" returns success, but the returned file name is NULL. madVR then crashes when later calling CoTaskMemFree() to properly release the file name. You can fix the crash by either returning a proper file name, or by letting GetCurFile() return an error, or by not supporting IFileSourceFilter. I'll add a check for a NULL file name to the next build. But I think you should implement the suggested change in your filter, anyway.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 21:07   #9104  |  Link
graeme

Quote:
The cause of the crash is that your filter does implement "IFileSourceFilter" and "IFileSourceFilter.GetCurFile()" returns success, but the returned file name is NULL. madVR then crashes when later calling CoTaskMemFree() to properly release the file name. You can fix the crash by either returning a proper file name, or by letting GetCurFile() return an error, or by not supporting IFileSourceFilter. I'll add a check for a NULL file name to the next build. But I think you should implement the suggested change in your filter, anyway.
Brilliant - thanks for this insight. I'll try this.
graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 21:39   #9105  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
Madshi:
Here's an updated log file. This time with MadVR 0.72 with MadVR's OSD visible (using ctrl+j).
Hmmmm... According to the log, the display mode changes and madVR switches from exclusive mode to windowed mode as a reaction of the display mode change. The display mode change was not initiated by madVR. I don't know who initiated it and why. Maybe you can find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
Are you calling WinAPI's "IsWindowVisible"? and are you checking the window's dimensions to see if they cover the MadVR window?
Cause what happens that exclusive mode is lost for a split second and then it re-activates. If the new window was problematic, wouldn't exclusive mode stay disabled?
Yes, I'm using IsWindowVisible and I'm also checking the window dimensions.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:47   #9106  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.73 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed (again): video playback in PotPlayer froze in various situations
* fixed: OSD changes could result in dropped frames (reverted to older code)
* fixed: crash if the source filter reported a NULL file name
I've decided to revert to an older OSD update code, which should fix the frame drops reported by some. However, that also restores the old (bad) OSD response times. Maybe I'll find a better overall solution for a future build.

Those of you who want to use the madVR internal decoders with MPC-HC, please update to build 3520 (or newer). That build allows you to set madVR to "preferred" in the external filter list, without losing the OSD and subtitle functionality.
Old 1st August 2011, 22:12   #9107  |  Link
Nevilne

I can confirm that potplayer freeze at start is fixed.
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:00   #9108  |  Link
joe42

Quote:
Those of you who want to use the madVR internal decoders with MPC-HC, please update to build 3520 (or newer). That build allows you to set madVR to "preferred" in the external filter list, without losing the OSD and subtitle functionality.
Yes, thanks for the note. I tried MPC-HC 3538, with madVR external filter set to prefer, and OSD and subtitles worked properly.
joe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:28   #9109  |  Link
SoupRKnowva

i dont even put madVR in the external decoders, i just turn off the internal decoders, and turn them on in madVR settings, and it works good.

why would it need to be in the external decoders list?
SoupRKnowva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:28   #9110  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Any approximate time frame on 10 bit output?

Edit: By the way, I wrote a small guide on how to properly set up MPC-HC + madVR (with madVR's internal decoders), in case you want to hotlink it anywhere: http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/?p=205#guide. A slightly older version of this guide can also be found on coalgirl's page.

Last edited by nand chan; 2nd August 2011 at 09:38.
nand chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:33   #9111  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Hmmmmm... In that log there are so many seeks. One seek after 2.5 seconds of playback, then one after 3.5, another one after 5, another one after 6 seconds. That's not a good thing for a log, it makes the log very complicated and hard to read.
Yeah, I have to seek a few times for it to become noticeable, I wanted to make sure I captured the sync issue.

Quote:
Anyway, the whole problem does not occur with external decoders, correct? Can I have a small sample of the VOB file? Of course that would make sense only if the problem also occurs with the small sample. Which splitter are you using?
Quote:
P.S: The splitter seems to behave very weird. Most frames come to madVR without any timestamps, which make it hard for madVR to properly sync. Which exact splitter is that? Have you tried a different splitter?
Correct, there is no sync problem when I'm using ffdshow. Currently I'm using LAV splitter 0.31 and the issue seems limited to that splitter as Haali's splitter didn't produce the same issue.
I can reproduce it on any VOB file I have, hopefully you can too. It does sound like this report belongs in the LAV splitter thread instead, let me know if you'd like me to report there.

Last edited by ryrynz; 2nd August 2011 at 10:45.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:44   #9112  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If a file does not contain timestamps for all frames, LAV Splitter will not invent any. I leave it to the decoder to properly deal with it, and frankly, all external decoders are doing just fine with that.
If all external decoders work, and the internal doesnt, it must be the splitters problem, right?
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:17   #9113  |  Link
ice25

Not sure if it's a bug, but in my setup Reclock isn't detecting the video stream fps with the internal decoders. Tested with internal MPC and Haali Splitter.
ice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:24   #9114  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
If a file does not contain timestamps for all frames, LAV Splitter will not invent any. I leave it to the decoder to properly deal with it, and frankly, all external decoders are doing just fine with that.
If all external decoders work, and the internal doesnt, it must be the splitters problem, right?
Gotta love Nevcairiel's sense of humor

Last edited by ryrynz; 2nd August 2011 at 11:41.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:49   #9115  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
In my log it seems that roughly only one out of a hundred video frames has a timestamp. That surely can't be right, can it? Of course if the external decoders have a problem and the internal ones don't, this points to the internal decoders. However, if the issue occurs only with LAV Splitter and not with any other splitter, then that points to the splitter. Probably it's a combination of the two somehow. Anyway, I'm wondering how I can do proper syncing if there are virtually not any timestamps available at all?
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:39   #9116  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

As always, i cannot comment on files without a sample of such a file.
I have however seen MPEG-2 files with really terrible timestamping.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:22   #9117  |  Link
ajp_anton

Whoa. Never really understood the smoothness problem with 60Hz displays. But I just learned that my Macbook supports 48Hz. Meh, now I'll never be able to watch movies on my bigger 60Hz-only screens...

Feature request: Add an option to change the refresh rate only when going into (and out of) fullscreen mode.

When presenting lots of frames in advance, is it normal for the sound to be slightly out of sync (video comes too late)?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:12   #9118  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
madVR v0.73 released
This version seems the most stable one in recent releases to me.

Quote:
About this I use the different approach.
Disable all other available video decoders in MPC-HC.
The MPC-HC internal ones must not be selected, either.

For my HTPC, LAVCUVID is still the preferred video decoder. Once a HW-unsupported H.264 video stream is opened, madVR internal video decoder is automatically used. (Due to the fact it is the only available choice to MPC-HC)

Currently I only found this method to play with the H.264 yuv420p10 contents correctly. With most other video decoders, the output colors are incorrect.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:43   #9119  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice25 View Post
Not sure if it's a bug, but in my setup Reclock isn't detecting the video stream fps with the internal decoders. Tested with internal MPC and Haali Splitter.
I had the same problem with v0.72, also tested LAV Splitter. Had to use Divx H264, which is fine because it's slightly faster for my slower machine.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:47   #9120  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
I had the same problem with v0.72, also tested LAV Splitter. Had to use Divx H264, which is fine because it's slightly faster for my slower machine.
same with 0.73 here
http://imageshack.us/f/38/madvrreclockfpsissue.png/

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling