Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th August 2018, 08:02   #52061  |  Link
foobar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Is smooth framerate conversion the most CPU-intensive feature?
CPU-intensives are fine, greatly fine
foobar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 12:55   #52062  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar2000 View Post
madvr high qulity setting for down and up scaling requires tons of memory of video card ain't it? I press Tab in potplayer showing that my card's memory been eaten up 100%, 24fps drops to 6 (after choosing inferior options makes everything smooth), all in all madvr is a "GPU"-need program, depiste being dxva-off, but still needs tons of GPU power

should upgrade to 4GB card, or even 4GB isn't enough
depends on the output resolution it has been over and over repeated to use 4 GB for UHD.
even 1 GB can be fine for FHD and 2 are totally fine as long as you are not changing the queue for what ever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Is smooth framerate conversion the most CPU-intensive feature?
madVR SM doesn't use the CPU.
i guess the most CPU depend feature is either HDR peak brightness measurement or IVTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl4ze87 View Post
Hello, there's a qay to change color/dim the brightness of external subtitle while playing hdr file?
madshi ask about HDR subtitles in the github of libass and well... he was shutdown hard by one of the mpv developer that clearly doesn't want to have anything todo with HDR. so HDR subtitle handling is currently in a bad spot. so you have to hope that the ISR in MPC-BE will have a fix one day or cyberbeing is saving subtitles yet again.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 15:33   #52063  |  Link
Bl4ze87

There's some known issue with ryzen 5 2400g?
I can't get proper hdr on my lg b7
Bl4ze87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 15:45   #52064  |  Link
mclingo

what do you mean by "proper", explain your problem in detail, also where does the CPU come into this, are you not using GPU decoding?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 15:51   #52065  |  Link
foobar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
madVR SM doesn't use the CPU.
actually my first impression was that madvr almost doesn't use CPU at all, it's so GPU-esque, we gotta go straight to 11GB memory card
Old 16th August 2018, 15:53   #52066  |  Link
Bl4ze87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
what do you mean by "proper", explain your problem in detail, also where does the CPU come into this, are you not using GPU decoding?
Color are not so "vivid" like when i play the same video trough usb directly on the tv, or using plex.
I don't have a dedicated gpu, ryzen 5 has integrated vega 11 graphics
Old 16th August 2018, 16:14   #52067  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
Hi, you made me try the beta / testing build and is it me or i find the colors to be less good than the official build ??

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118503

in HDR passthrough , the colors look a lot more like the official build.
It is definitely improved. I wouldn't confuse high saturation with HDR. That is not the intent of HDR. The old algorithm was oversaturated and overall hue accuracy is better in the screenshots I've compared against other HDR and SDR references.

Pop in the colors doesn't tell me that it is accurate. New OLEDs like the models from Sony and Panasonic render HDR images with less saturation compared to LG OLEDs because they were tuned by colorists to be color accurate. The most common complaint with the previous tone mapping was that it was too saturated.

Last edited by Warner306; 16th August 2018 at 16:18.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 16:16   #52068  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Yep, madVRhdrTestFinalColor4.zip is similar but slightly tweaked and is ok with the settings I posted, but the latest test builds certainly seem to have lost their punch.
The extra punch with HDR highlights in that build was causing artifacts and a loss of detail, so it was toned down considerably. It was maybe too much image pumping.
Old 16th August 2018, 16:21   #52069  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
There's some known issue with ryzen 5 2400g?
I can't get proper hdr on my lg b7
I think it could be an issue with current AMD drivers after the troubleshooting you've done. Does changing the color gamut in calibration change anything? It shouldn't do anything, but some AMD users find changing this setting changes the output of madVR.

Did you confirm in the madVR OSD and through the information on the TV that you are in fact playing an HDR source? Does madVR report the mastering display peak brightness in its stats?
Old 16th August 2018, 16:33   #52070  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Color are not so "vivid" like when i play the same video trough usb directly on the tv, or using plex.
I don't have a dedicated gpu, ryzen 5 has integrated vega 11 graphics
Hi, yes, as Warner states, There is a bug with all drivers drivers since 16.8.1 which overblow the colours in movies when playing SDR content at 23hz, this isnt appearent at 60hz or HDR material or if you , is this what you are fining, is everything red and overblown?

This may only affect RX cards I cant speak for none HDR cards or Vega.

EDIT - i've logged the issue with AMD a few weeks back at the same time I logged an issue with HDR failing to toggel after 18.3.4, the fixed the HDR toggle with the latest driver, hope to see the colour issue fixed at some point.

What i'm not sure about though is whether upgrading to WIN10 1803 will fix that or not, but i'm not going anywhere near that

Last edited by mclingo; 16th August 2018 at 16:40.
Old 16th August 2018, 16:35   #52071  |  Link
Bl4ze87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I think it could be an issue with current AMD drivers after the troubleshooting you've done. Does changing the color gamut in calibration change anything? It shouldn't do anything, but some AMD users find changing this setting changes the output of madVR.

Did you confirm in the madVR OSD and through the information on the TV that you are in fact playing an HDR source? Does madVR report the mastering display peak brightness in its stats?
With color gamut you men the color depth in radeon sw or there's an option in madvr?
Sorry i m a bit noob
Here's the stat while playing a 4k hdr sample
https://imgur.com/a/55yp6UA

Quote:
Hi, yes, as Warner states, There is a bug with all drivers drivers since 16.8.1 which overblow the colours in movies when playing SDR content at 23hz, this isnt appearent at 60hz or HDR material or if you , is this what you are fining, is everything red and overblown?

This may only affect RX cards I cant speak for none HDR cards or Vega.
Sorry english isn't my first language and i can't understand the meaning of the word overblow ^^'
I don't have problem in sdr, only in hdr. Color are normal, there's no red tint or strange dominant, the global iamge is only less vivid, strong, like when i play the same file with the tv internal player.

Last edited by Bl4ze87; 16th August 2018 at 16:39.
Old 16th August 2018, 16:45   #52072  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
With color gamut you men the color depth in radeon sw or there's an option in madvr?
Sorry i m a bit noob

Sorry english isn't my first language and i can't understand the meaning of the word overblow ^^'
I don't have problem in sdr, only in hdr. Color are normal, there's no red tint or strange dominant, the global iamge is only less vivid, strong, like when i play the same file with the tv internal player.
OK, so your problem is with HDR material, is it all washed out, do you have a HDR TV or are you doing a HDR to SDR conversion in MADVR?
Old 16th August 2018, 16:48   #52073  |  Link
Bl4ze87

Quote:
OK, so your problem is with HDR material, is it all washed out, do you have a HDR TV or are you doing a HDR to SDR conversion in MADVR?
Exactly!
The odd thing is taht when i go in fse the tv switch to hdr
Old 16th August 2018, 16:50   #52074  |  Link
mclingo

so you are getting washed out colours but your TV is definitely switching to HDR mode, are you sure?

Press contrl+J when playing a movie and post a screen shot of your OSD
Old 16th August 2018, 16:54   #52075  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
The extra punch with HDR highlights in that build was causing artifacts and a loss of detail, so it was toned down considerably. It was maybe too much image pumping.
Hmm. I know most of the audience on AVS are projector owners, so they may have different requirements to people that own high nits/brightness HDR capable TV sets that prefer to let Madvr handle the tone mapping.

I have been and will continue to follow the AVS thread (lurker), but, I may end up keeping madVRhdrTestFinalColor4.zip

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 16th August 2018 at 16:56.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2018, 16:55   #52076  |  Link
Bl4ze87

Quote:
so you are getting washed out colours but your TV is definitely switching to HDR mode, are you sure?

Press contrl+J when playing a movie and post a screen shot of your OSD

Used the life of pi hdr sample

I'm "sure" only because in the top right corner shows up the "HDR" box, but color are not hdr like
Old 16th August 2018, 17:00   #52077  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Sorry i m a bit noob
What does the TV information say while playing this file? Does it also report HDR?

It looks like an HDR source, although it has an odd mastering peak (1200 nits) and framerate (24 fps).

I assume you tried other files?

Try setting chroma upscaling to something besides DXVA. This is hardware scaling and could be interfering somehow.

You could check if there is anything unusual in the file by downloading MediaInfo and looking at the file contents (right click -> MediaInfo -> Text View). There is a link to the MediaInfo utility at the end of this post and a sample to show what a proper HDR source should report. It might be missing MaxCLL and MaxFALL if these values are set to 0,0, but that is not uncommon.

There is a calibration section in madVR. This only applies to SDR content, but you can try setting it to BT.2020 in off chance it fixes the colors. The code is probably unrelated, but I don't know what else would be producing the wrong colors. Improper tone mapping due to incorrect or missing metadata would be the most likely cause.
Old 16th August 2018, 17:03   #52078  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

Used the life of pi hdr sample

I'm "sure" only because in the top right corner shows up the "HDR" box, but color are not hdr like
Try some other content. HDR demo material is often mastered with incorrect metadata.
Old 16th August 2018, 17:25   #52079  |  Link
Bl4ze87

Quote:
What does the TV information say while playing this file? Does it also report HDR?

It looks like an HDR source, although it has an odd mastering peak (1200 nits) and framerate (24 fps).

I assume you tried other files?

Try setting chroma upscaling to something besides DXVA. This is hardware scaling and could be interfering somehow.

You could check if there is anything unusual in the file by downloading MediaInfo and looking at the file contents (right click -> MediaInfo -> Text View). There is a link to the MediaInfo utility at the end of this post and a sample to show what a proper HDR source should report. It might be missing MaxCLL and MaxFALL if these values are set to 0,0, but that is not uncommon.

There is a calibration section in madVR. This only applies to SDR content, but you can try setting it to BT.2020 in off chance it fixes the colors. The code is probably unrelated, but I don't know what else would be producing the wrong colors. Improper tone mapping due to incorrect or missing metadata would be the most likely cause.
The tv info also show 2160p HDR.
Yes, i ve tried lot of different file, that image was only the last one i ve used.
Chroma upscaling is NGU for all the profiles.
Mediainfo looks good
Last but not the least, yes i've tried different option in calibration, but always without change.
During all my attempt i ve also changed lot of hdmi cable, used a dp->hdmi, but always the same result

edit : https://imgur.com/a/Qb8llBh
This is a couple day old..

Last edited by Bl4ze87; 16th August 2018 at 18:02.
Old 16th August 2018, 20:19   #52080  |  Link
foobar2000

madvr's being GPU-heavy is a bit crazy, like gaming but only requires memory

EVR CP usually eats up 50MB max of card's memory while madvr uses 100% and wants more, a lot more, so hungry

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling