Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th November 2013, 14:21   #21001  |  Link
huhn

use trade quality for performence
check
use 10 bit chroma buffer instead of 16 bit
use 10 bit image buffer instead of 16 bit
don't use dithering

set chroma/image/up/down-scaling to bilinear

and use aero without aero it's hard to avoid tearing in window mode. if you can't use aero you shouldn't be able to use madvr.

you can try evr with d3d fullscreen too
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 15:53   #21002  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Sorry, my fault. Here's a fixed build:

http://madshi.net/madVRanotherTestBuild2.rar
Hi madshi, I still get dropped frames with this build. I settled on medium deband strength since that looked best to me.
Adjusting queue sizes does not seem to have any effect. Otherwise all defaults are used. Smooth motion is off. Decoders are not activated. Refresh rate 23.9765 fps, tested on 720p material on a 1080p display.
Same result with/without ReClock.

Look at system in signature.

Any idea what I can do more to debug this?

Last edited by Xaurus; 28th November 2013 at 16:04. Reason: added more information
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 17:36   #21003  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
I still get dropped frames with this build.
There are many many madVR users. I don't happen to remember the problems you had. So you gotta be a bit more specific.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 18:25   #21004  |  Link
James Freeman

No dropped frames over here.

i7 3770K, Gigabyte GTX660.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 18:33   #21005  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
If you read the queues from top to bottom, is the render queue the first one which is empty all the time? Or do the queues above the render queue also have a problem? The queue which is causing all the trouble is the top most queue which is getting empty all the time. Which is the fill state of the queue directly above the render queue?
I'm going to a concert with Depeche Mode and move to another apartment this weekend, so can not provide more information before monday.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 18:52   #21006  |  Link
cvrkuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrkuth View Post
I update my OS (Windows 8.1 Pro), I have same problem again.
I noticed that when playing 1080p24 (mkv, m2ts, ts .. full screen exclusive mode, default settings) my screen goes to 23hz. Because of this, there is a drop frames every 30-40 sec.

If I uncheck 'Present Several frames in advance "(old path), my screen stays in 24hz.

Log file here.
I have Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 Ultimate 1GB,
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz, RAM 8 Gb
Panasonic TX-P42G20E, Catalyst™ 13.9
Win8.1 Pro x64, JRiver Media Center 18 Ver. 18.0.212, madVR v0.86.11
Is there a fix for issue?
cvrkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 19:10   #21007  |  Link
antoine.brisebard

testbuild 2

Hello everyone!

thankyou for the latest testbuild. fixed green layer for me with DXVA.

I'm afraid I'm having delayed and dropped frames with testbuild 2.

backbuffer plus render queue runs empty again and again.
having attached a screenshot taken after roughly 4 minutes of movie.

kind regards - Antoine

i3-3245 | 1920x1200/60 Hz | W7/64 | 8 GB | MPC-HC nightly
Attached Images

antoine.brisebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 20:16   #21008  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin85 View Post
Quick question, can somebody recommend a list of settings how to maximize madVR performance for older hardware (Win 7, no aero)? The main reason is that only with madVR I don't get any tearing on that machine.
Set all scaling algorithms to bilinear.
Depending on how old is old hardware, try DXVA up-/down-scaling.

Check if you get better results with software or hardware (DXVA) decoding. LAVFilters are recommended codecs on Windows.

In rendering -> trade quality for performance try enabling more and more options, going top to bottom, until you get good results.
What I mean is enable first option, try if you get good results, if not, then enable second options with first still enabled, check results, then enable third with first and second still enabled and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine.brisebard View Post
While the screenshot gets approval, are you sure your GPU is not overloaded? Use GPU-Z or similar to monitor GPU usage. Also try to set all scaling algorithms to bilinear to reduce load.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 20:20   #21009  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrkuth View Post
I update my OS (Windows 8.1 Pro), I have same problem again.
I noticed that when playing 1080p24 (mkv, m2ts, ts .. full screen exclusive mode, default settings) my screen goes to 23hz. Because of this, there is a drop frames every 30-40 sec.

If I uncheck 'Present Several frames in advance "(old path), my screen stays in 24hz.
Your log file indicates that the display mode is reported as 1080p24 when madVR starts rendering. And madVR knows that 24Hz is what you need, so it doesn't touch the display mode. Then madVR goes into fullscreen exclusive mode, telling Direct3D9 to use 24Hz. It seems that in your case Direct3D9 ignores madVR's wish and switches to 23.976Hz instead. That would be a bug in Windows/Direct3D9. I've already implemented some hacks to fix this problem with Intel GPUs, but it's possible that this fix doesn't work with AMD/NVidia GPUs, I'm not sure. Feel free to add a bug report to the madVR bug tracker about this problem, if there isn't one already. Maybe if I find some time I'll see if I can workaround the problem with AMD/NVidia GPUs, too. It's not a madVR bug, though, but a bug in Windows or Direct3D9 or in the GPU drivers. madVR clearly requests 24.000Hz, according to the log.

Quote:

backbuffer plus render queue runs empty again and again.
having attached a screenshot taken after roughly 4 minutes of movie.

kind regards - Antoine

i3-3245 | 1920x1200/60 Hz | W7/64 | 8 GB | MPC-HC nightly
Attaching anything here in the forum is a bad idea, it sometimes takes a long time for attachments to get approved. Better upload stuff somewhere else.

Does the problem only occur with the test build? Or also with the official version? Is the render queue the first queue which is empty (when reading the queue from top to bottom)?
Old 28th November 2013, 20:44   #21010  |  Link
v0lt

@madshi
What pixel formats renderer can take as input?
What pixel formats are preferred?
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 20:50   #21011  |  Link
antoine.brisebard

Quote:
Does the problem only occur with the test build? Or also with the official version? Is the render queue the first queue which is empty (when reading the queue from top to bottom)?
Dear madshi, problem occurs with testbuild only.
render queue stays at 6-8/8 when playing the movie.
bb queue jumps often to 0-4/4.
(using last intel igpu driver ...build 3345; all video enhancements are not activated in driver)
regards - Antoine
Old 28th November 2013, 21:26   #21012  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
What pixel formats renderer can take as input?
What pixel formats are preferred?
Accepted are almost any pixel formats you can think of (or that I found documentation for). Preferred are planar formats like:

4:2:0, 8bit: NV12, YV12
4:2:2, 8bit: YV16
4:4:4, 8bit: YV24
4:2:0, 10/16bit: P010/P016
4:2:2, 10/16bit: P210/P216

For these madVR has built in SSE2 handling routines. For the other pixel formats slower C++ code is used atm. Unfortunately there's no planar 4:4:4 10/16bit format (that I know of).

Quote:
Dear madshi, problem occurs with testbuild only.
render queue stays at 6-8/8 when playing the movie.
bb queue jumps often to 0-4/4.
In your previous post you said that both the render and backbuffer queues get empty. Now which is true? Your latest post or your previous post?

Is this windowed mode or overlay mode or fullscreen exclusive mode?
Old 28th November 2013, 21:55   #21013  |  Link
antoine.brisebard

In your previous post you said that both the render and backbuffer queues get empty. Now which is true? Your latest post or your previous post?
Latest post is true.
Having played same movie again:
Happens at windowed mode. fullscreen exclusive mode is not watchable at all: heavy "jitter" from left to right. have tried to copy a screenshot-but that's not possible. screenshot only shows black content.

regards- A.
Old 28th November 2013, 22:37   #21014  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
There are many many madVR users. I don't happen to remember the problems you had. So you gotta be a bit more specific.
Yes of course, I actually never reported anything before during the first test builds you put out since others were reporting dropped frames and I was content on following the thread.

In my case the queues take a hit sometimes, like each 10-30 seconds. It never goes to 0 in any of the queues (visibly), but I can see that they go down by 1-2 and then back at full in "virtually" no time. In this moment the dropped frames happens.

This is in FSE mode using CUVID. Disabling the deband makes it all fine again.

I am using a GTX 660 and Jinc 3 for up/down.

Let me know if you need further info.
Old 28th November 2013, 23:21   #21015  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Latest post is true.
Having played same movie again:
Happens at windowed mode. fullscreen exclusive mode is not watchable at all: heavy "jitter" from left to right. have tried to copy a screenshot-but that's not possible. screenshot only shows black content.
There's something very wrong if fullscreen exclusive mode produces such artifacts. Try reinstalling the GPU drivers. Are you using default madVR options or did you change anything? Maybe it would make sense trying to reset to default options to see if that improves anything. IMHO your first priority should be to get fullscreen exclusive mode working because that's the most reliable mode.

One thing to try would be to increase GPU queue size and number of backbuffers for both window and FSE modes. 4 backbuffers is relatively low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
In my case the queues take a hit sometimes, like each 10-30 seconds. It never goes to 0 in any of the queues (visibly), but I can see that they go down by 1-2 and then back at full in "virtually" no time. In this moment the dropped frames happens.

This is in FSE mode using CUVID. Disabling the deband makes it all fine again.
What happens if you enable deband, but choose the same settings for both deband options? Does that also make the problem go away? Another question: What happens if you use Lanczos instead of Jinc? Does that make the problem go away?
Old 28th November 2013, 23:53   #21016  |  Link
Weirdo

I often get this problem with smooth motion in windowed mode. It'll go away if I enter full screen exclusive, but in windowed mode it's quite common.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 00:40   #21017  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

That are really weird(o) artifacts. Try increasing the GPU queue size, the number of backbuffers and the number of pre-presented frames. Also try deactivating the "render in a separate device" option (or however it was named). Does any of that help?
Old 29th November 2013, 07:18   #21018  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I often get this problem with smooth motion in windowed mode. It'll go away if I enter full screen exclusive, but in windowed mode it's quite common.
Quote:
That are really weird(o) artifacts. Try increasing the GPU queue size, the number of backbuffers and the number of pre-presented frames. Also try deactivating the "render in a separate device" option (or however it was named). Does any of that help?
I've had that before, If I remember rightly the queue size is the culprit here.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 11:33   #21019  |  Link
antoine.brisebard

was able to decrease slightly number of dropped and delayed frames by changing those settings:
gpu queue 8 -> 10
backbuffers 4 -> 6
frames in advance 4 -> 6

regards!
Old 29th November 2013, 12:10   #21020  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Accepted are almost any pixel formats you can think of (or that I found documentation for). Preferred are planar formats like:

4:2:0, 8bit: NV12, YV12
4:2:2, 8bit: YV16
4:4:4, 8bit: YV24
4:2:0, 10/16bit: P010/P016
4:2:2, 10/16bit: P210/P216

For these madVR has built in SSE2 handling routines. For the other pixel formats slower C++ code is used atm. Unfortunately there's no planar 4:4:4 10/16bit format (that I know of).
I tested AYUV and YV24. And I haven't seen advantages in YV24 processing speed.

Intel i5-3750K, Win7 x64.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling