Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th April 2018, 17:43   #50061  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I was able to use a perfect pixel clock after reinstalling my drivers. Previously, the best I could do was one frame drop every 19 minutes.

I ran DDU and reinstalled the drivers (which was scary because the GPU was not detected and I had to look at Windows Update to see the drivers were downloading).

My stock clock improved from one frame drop every three minutes to one frame drop every 12 minutes. And, as stated, custom modes would now accept more modes.

So I think a lot of problems with custom modes comes down to improper driver installation.
Do I need to re run test mode again for custom modes or I can use the one already calculated there before fresh drivers?
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 18:04   #50062  |  Link
clsid

Do it again.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 18:20   #50063  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
So I think a lot of problems with custom modes comes down to improper driver installation.
Hmmmm, that's quite interesting. I'm thinking a windows reinstall is in my future. That could prove interesting.
Old 4th April 2018, 18:27   #50064  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Hmmmm, that's quite interesting. I'm thinking a windows reinstall is in my future. That could prove interesting.
Nah nah sir I can't be bothered to deal with that anymore hehe it is never a fun. But maybe a second OS on diff partition, clean just to check and see, would be way easier then reinstall everything etc for no reason if it won't make any difference
Old 4th April 2018, 18:38   #50065  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
Nah nah sir I can't be bothered to deal with that anymore hehe it is never a fun. But maybe a second OS on diff partition, clean just to check and see, would be way easier then reinstall everything etc for no reason if it won't make any difference
In my case I have other reasons to do a clean install. I do think in my case it'll end up helping my madvr performance a bit and allow me to crank up some settings that I've had to relax which will impact my overall PQ. Right now I have madvr dialed in fairly well for my 1060 but if a reinstall can give me a little bit more performance, then I will surely put it to good use. LOL
Old 4th April 2018, 18:43   #50066  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
In my case I have other reasons to do a clean install. I do think in my case it'll end up helping my madvr performance a bit and allow me to crank up some settings that I've had to relax which will impact my overall PQ. Right now I have madvr dialed in fairly well for my 1060 but if a reinstall can give me a little bit more performance, then I will surely put it to good use. LOL
Fair play, let us know if did improve after fresh windows
Old 4th April 2018, 19:32   #50067  |  Link
Warner306

I would start with the driver rather than reinstall the entire OS. It is unlikely madVR performance will improve at all. It is mostly worried about your GPU.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 21:11   #50068  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Fair play, let us know if did improve after fresh windows
Quote:
I would start with the driver rather than reinstall the entire OS. It is unlikely madVR performance will improve at all. It is mostly worried about your GPU.
Well, I needed a clean Windows install anyway, so, it was time.

Full clean install, clean driver install, and reinstalled J River MC24. Kept most of my madvr settings although for some reason it didn't pick up the same devices. I say this only because I don't know if it's relevant or not. Exact same device names but madvr detected them as new and greyed out the old ones. Anyway, set those up again and left everything else the same in madvr as it was before. I'm still getting some drops/repeated frames when bitstreaming, but, it's certainly a hell of a lot better out of the box than it was. We're talking 1 every 5 or so minutes. That's before attempting any custom res settings so this gives me hope that I may be able to solve the issue when I get some time later. Rendering times for the settings I have are around 15ms which is good. Haven't played with 3D yet to see how that goes. I'm not recommending people go reinstall windows, however. Simply saying that I needed to anyway and now that I have it certainly has improved things. Most likely, as you said, it's all driver related.
Old 5th April 2018, 04:57   #50069  |  Link
MrDVader

Can I down convert 2160p to 1080p but retain WCG bt2020 color space?

I have a JVC DLA-RS400 projector which up-converts to 4k and can do HDR, albeit, badly (the HDR that is).

However, my existing HTPC setup is not ideal for 4k due to HDMI cable length and aging HD7950 graphics card.

So, is it possible to down convert but retain the wide color gammet content? If so, how should I setup the MadVR HDR settings? I'm running win7 to a 1080p Denon receiver (which prevents passing 4k to the projector.
MrDVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 08:17   #50070  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

@Madshi

I have been following your work on the AVS forum re HDR to SDR conversion with corrective tone mapping - what are the chances of MadVR being able to trigger HDR, but perform the same corrective type of processing (as some suspect the OS HDR Toggle does)?

Would be amazing if possible, as so many HDR releases are badly mastered.

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 5th April 2018 at 09:53.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 11:20   #50071  |  Link
mclingo

interesting request, what about having a virtual HDR mode that conversts SDR to something that looks like HDR, now that would be cool.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 13:13   #50072  |  Link
ryrynz

Sony TVs can already do this, but it's not on the same level that this is on. It takes between three and 10 minutes to convert one minute of SDR footage. If they offered a cloud service madVR could tie into to make changes to the video that would be very cool.. but also a long way off, maybe madVR might do something many years from now.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 14:25   #50073  |  Link
mclingo

I meant a FAUX HDR mode like LG and SAMSUNG TV's have, VIVID with bells on, just adds a bit extra to the image, obviously nowhere near as good as real HDR mode but it would be a nice addition,
Old 5th April 2018, 14:31   #50074  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
interesting request, what about having a virtual HDR mode that conversts SDR to something that looks like HDR, now that would be cool.
Clean gpu driver installation after DDU, without changing a thing in madvr 1.2h expected frame drop, but i see drops occure more often when check osd.

But now any of the custom mode wont work for me, only EDID one, the rest give me blank screen, or is getting rejected by gpu.

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 5th April 2018 at 16:11.
Old 5th April 2018, 16:53   #50075  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I assume that is the problem because the x265 command-line changed some time in the past. Now it must be "--transfer smpte2084" or simply "--transfer 16".
I tested your proposal. Your assumption was right. Now my LG C6V switch to HDR mode. MadVR recognize the input as HDR, but the the colors are totally wrong on my TV. Some colors are too red, some are too blue....and with a lot of artifacts. I still do not know where the problem lies. After converting the HDR source to SDR the video displayed is quite acceptable.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 16:55   #50076  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its quite possible that your TV doesn't like non-BT2020 HDR, since that would likely never exist in the wild.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:08   #50077  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Clean gpu driver installation after DDU, without changing a thing in madvr 1.2h expected frame drop, but i see drops occure more often when check osd.

But now any of the custom mode wont work for me, only EDID one, the rest give me blank screen, or is getting rejected by gpu.

sorry if this is a silly question but have you set MADVR to passthru to display and meta data is ticked?

NVIDIA card or AMD?, are you going through a receiver, is it defo fully HDR passthrough compatible?,
Old 5th April 2018, 17:14   #50078  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
sorry if this is a silly question but have you set MADVR to passthru to display and meta data is ticked?

NVIDIA card or AMD?, are you going through a receiver, is it defo fully HDR passthrough compatible?,

What have HDR passtrough to do with none HDR movie?? pc to tv for video pc to avr for sound, nvidia card.

but like i said it has nothing to do with hdr, i just cant set any custom display mode apart EDID one
Old 5th April 2018, 17:17   #50079  |  Link
mclingo

sorry I misread the issue you are having.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:17   #50080  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:

Ok, so basically just to have a check and compare stuff, i decided to remove 23p and 24p string from madvr so basically movie is played with display refresh rate which is 59hz, and results are : 1 frame drop expect every 2.xx hour, 0 dropped frames whatsoever after 20min playback in madvr OSD !! when literally i usually get like 20droped by 20min with matching refresh rate 23.97fps

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling