Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 11th March 2007, 10:47   #21  |  Link
unixfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD00 View Post
@everyone requesting source code
I won't release the source now because of one reason. I saw what happened to BackupHDDVD, quickly various MODs emerged, some providing functions that others don't, if you want something specific you have to use this version, if you want something else you have to use that version. BackupHDDVD was a proof of concept, it showed that it is possible to decrypt, it was good that the source was there so others could learn, but the author let the program die. I am still developing my program, i want to ensure that there is ONE version to use. If you have questions, i will share my knowledge, but not the source. When some day i decide the program is finished, or i'm not in the mood to push it any further, then i think i will release the source.

And for those who haven't got it, there is a new version out .

why is it so important if people release MODs?
Why does a name really matter so much to you?
If you are so worried about MODs add a clause to your license file stating that they can't call their mods with the official name of the software.
unixfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 11:14   #22  |  Link
KoD

I don't understand... what is the problem with you people if the writer of the software will not release its source code ? Don't you have anything else better to do than complain ?

If you have time to complain and bitch about it, then read the specs, write your own application and publish its source code. End of story.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 11:38   #23  |  Link
unixfs

releasing source code gives both to the user and to the author the chance to improves the quality of software.
And yes, I have better things to do than replying to posts like yours: actually coding software that I always release as GPL exactly because I often receive improvements by other developers.
unixfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 13:26   #24  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Any hope of stopping the petty bickering and getting back on topic please?

What KenD00 does with his software is his business. As far as the source code, it has been asked and answered. End of story. Stop whinging please.

Bickerers, read this carefully.

End of off-topic malarky.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 11th March 2007 at 13:28.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 15:26   #25  |  Link
spotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD00 View Post
@Bhima
@everyone requesting source code
I won't release the source now because of one reason. I saw what happened to BackupHDDVD, quickly various MODs emerged, some providing functions that others don't, if you want something specific you have to use this version, if you want something else you have to use that version. BackupHDDVD was a proof of concept, it showed that it is possible to decrypt, it was good that the source was there so others could learn, but the author let the program die. I am still developing my program, i want to ensure that there is ONE version to use. If you have questions, i will share my knowledge, but not the source. When some day i decide the program is finished, or i'm not in the mood to push it any further, then i think i will release the source.
I preface this by saying "It's your code, you can do with it what you want, what I write is just some food for thought."

The one note I'd make about putting out source code is not so much that it gives users freedom, but if something happens to you and there is no source code, the program essentially dies. See DVDDecrypter, it's not a dead program, but people have to jump through hoops to use it in some situations. If the author had originally released the source code, even with him taken out of the picture, people would still be able to update it.
spotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 18:14   #26  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@spotter: didn't blutach just ask everybody to let it be? Which part of the message didn't you get?. I'm all for making source code available and I have been around for long enough to see many examples where a program died, but it doesn't change the fact that it's up to the author and no means no. And just to make sure you get the message this time: the next one to try and reopen the topic will be striked - no exceptions.
Old 11th March 2007, 18:26   #27  |  Link
daveidmx
Just One Calorie

Hey KenD00,

Just wanted to put it out there: I gave your program a shot and I think it may have solved one of the problems I'd been having. Will post more info after I've had the chance to play, but just wanted to say thanks!

D
daveidmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 20:30   #28  |  Link
Ishan
Anime Vampire

I just ripped V For Vendetta with this and it works like a chram. I had to get rid of the -server option thow, it seems I don't have it.
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2007, 19:54   #29  |  Link
Ishan
Anime Vampire

Any news from this?
Old 19th March 2007, 21:59   #30  |  Link
awhitehead

If you have a proper entry in keydb.cfg, it just works, both with standard and advanced content authoring authored HD-DVDs. What news are you looking for?
awhitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 00:45   #31  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Ishan,

Please do not bump your posts.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 09:11   #32  |  Link
Ishan
Anime Vampire

I was just asking for news, if that's considered a bump I'm sorry but moderation here seems a bit over the top. I guess I'll use private massages now...
Old 20th March 2007, 09:48   #33  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

just think if all of the more than 100'000 users would be doing the same thing.. the forum would become useless. This isn't over the top, it's stopping a problem before it brings the forum to a standstill. If you prefer an anything goes forum I'm sure there are plenty out there but I rather have this one - it has proven to work time and again and part of the reason is that the we're being very strict about keeping the signal to noise ratio high so that knowledgeable people who don't have time to waste still keep coming back.
Old 20th March 2007, 14:14   #34  |  Link
Pelican9
Coder

OFF:
Why don't you simple delete the unwanted posts?
The conversation about these posts is not neccessary here too.
And my post too. :-)
Pelican9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 23:02   #35  |  Link
vudoodoodoo

Hmm.. it doesn't seem to work for me. It finished movie skips like every second. I tried it w/ Babel and Fastest India.
vudoodoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 01:28   #36  |  Link
bourke

Is your PC fast enough? Check your CPU usage; if it rises above 90% then your PC is too slow. 3Ghz with 1Gb RAM is about the absolute minimum requirements.
bourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 05:38   #37  |  Link
vudoodoodoo

I have a E6600 running at 2.8ghz and 2GB of DDR800.
Both cores were only running around 10% while ripping. I think I have enough juice.
Old 26th March 2007, 00:19   #38  |  Link
HyperHacker
Resident DRM Hater

Hey, you should call it HDump!
Old 26th March 2007, 14:43   #39  |  Link
KenD00

You may be affected by the Nav-Chain bug, are you using PowerDVD 6.5? There was also a report that PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 has this bug in File Mode.

KenD00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 00:23   #40  |  Link
vudoodoodoo

I see...